“The food here is very good!”
Review of The Old Man

The Old Man
Ranked #17 of 200 Restaurants in Broomfield
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Let’s get one thing clear from the get-go: This place is a Road House, and I use that term in a most complimentary way. The Old Man is like the Kathmandu Market of pubs – lots of variety, something for everyone, and always a screaming deal to be had, including great $2 cans every day. Olympia, Keystone Light, even Old Milwaukee – which regularly blows the doors off high priced American lagers in blind taste tests. (I’m talking to you, every brand out there with a 7-figure marketing campaign) Pulling into The Old Man on a Wednesday at 8pm, there are more than 50 cars in the lot, forcing me to park way out on the gravel. I’m thinking it must be booked for a private party or something. Nope – it’s just Wednesday. Groups of dudes finishing up BBQ (no table service here – just walk yourself up to the window and go for Pulled Pork with Kansas City Sweet, side of Hot Links), a zesty bodybuilder chick playing pool, people gearing up for some volleyball in the big back yard. Every type of hat is worn in this place – from cowboy to baseball and everything in between – including tuque (that’s a Bob and Doug McKenzie reference – just to see what it does to our Google search metrics). The Old Man is a classic old joint amidst the sea of strip-center hell that 120th Avenue has become. Yes, there might be a rusty El Camino in the parking lot, and Grand Funk Railroad may be cranking when you walk in. But that’s the point. This is America, and you embrace it with all your heart. Your Barman JJ Abbey grew up a wrist rocket shot away in West Lake, went to Northglenn High, and is an affable, fun-loving wiseguy. If he’s busy counseling the shagadelic cougar at the end of the bar, Kristy will get you what you need with style and grace. Enjoy the initials and messages carved into the paneling, check out the vintage photos of some classic Old Men, and if you ask real nice you might even get your own beer coozy to store in JJ’s beer coozy room. Just try to find this positive vibe and color in any of the cookie-cutter joints down the way. Bet you an Old Mil that you can’t. No nearby megabar – even one with a supposedly cool rooftop patio – can touch The Old Man. $2 beers and thick green grass under your flip flops – tell me there’s a Pub Heaven, and I’ll tell you it probably looks like this. We support the Saints, Nuggets, Rockies, Avalanche and the Broncos/Raiders rivalry, in addition to all of Colorado's college teams.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have been here in the past but it had been awhile since my last visit. I had a burger with bbq pork on it. It was very good. My husband goes in quite a bit for the wings and I tried one and it was wonderful. He and his friends order them plain with no sauce. I know it sounds boring but it wasn't. Its like little pieces of wonderfully fried chicken.

Reviewed February 7, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in here one evening on the advice of a friend. I had the brisket, pork, and sausage combination, my wife had the pulled pork sandwich. The barbecue was tender, glistening bites of heaven and their sauces were phenomenal. I really enjoyed the atmospheter (beach volleyball?) our back with a covered seating area. The old school beer was tasty, I had a Hamms in a can, old time favorite of mine! If you want so great BBQ In a cozy spot I highly recommended this place.

Reviewed January 26, 2018

I seldom write reviews, typically only if very good or very bad. I’m not a person who ever sends food back; in this case if it hadn’t been take-out, I would have. This was my first visit here in a long time. I ordered the 2-meat combo with ribs and brisket with beans and tots. When I opened it up at home, I was surprised to see the ribs quite burnt. Not being too quick to judge, I decided I needed to give them a try—they were horrible—burnt, dry, and crunchy. Well, I thought, at least I have the brisket. Unfortunately, I proceeded to find that they were super fatty; not very good. The beans were good, the tots were packed under the meat and had gotten quite mashed. This for close to $22 (with tip, and I had a beer while I waited). I would much rather give a local, independent my business, but they really let me down and it will likely take me to Famous Dave’s next time—Too Bad

Reviewed January 22, 2018

Was brought here with the promise of a 'dive bar with great grub'. Did not know what to expect from that description but was very pleasantly surprised. Atmosphere was great, service fantastic and the food was fab!

Reviewed January 15, 2018 via mobile

The Old Man is close to my friends place and we always eat here when I’m in town. It’s a great place to go and just have a few drinks or it’s great for lunch/dinner. They do a great job with the Bar-B-Q and the service is fast/friendly.