“A lovely evening in the mountains”

Gold Hill Inn & Blue Bird Lodge
Ranked #55 of 595 Restaurants in Boulder
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2016

I'd heard wonderful things about the Gold Hill Inn, and had at one point considered living around the corner from it, so, despite some mixed reviews here, was eager to take my partner there for an anniversary dinner. She has a solid background in the restaurant business, so I was a little nervous. Unnecessarily, as it turned out. Everything was as one would hope: relaxed, good wine, friendly atmosphere, very good service as it happened--though one waiter did try to rush my plate away before I was quite done--terrific food. My partner was impressed, beginning with the appetizer, a turkey salad. I will say her opa (tuna/swordfish-like Pacific fish) was a little over-cooked, and my tournedos of beef closer to medium than medium rare, as I'd requested, but it was nonetheless a very good meal. Definitely go for the flourless chocolate torte.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

The beautiful scenery, the historic little town and the old log buildings are worth the drive; a most unique experience. The six course menu sounded great, but the offerings varied considerably in quality. The salad was outstanding with the creative addition of jicama and raw beets. The cold melon soup was delightful and the chocolate dessert was amazing. However, the main entrée was a total disappointment -- the ono was overcooked and dry, the tiny potato barely done and corn-on-the-cob and odd choice. The appetizer is definitely and economical effort on the part of the restaurant and is repetitive of the ending cheese course. Service is outstanding, attentive and friendly.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

Twenty-one friends went for a Thursday dinner at the Gold Hill Inn. We took the Inn’s strong advice to only use the Sunshine Canyon route from Boulder to Gold Hill. This mostly hard-surfaced road takes you through some fine views of mountains, meadows and tall trees. The historic former mining camp of Gold Hill sits at an elevation of 8300 feet and has a listed population of less than 300 today. We had a 6 PM reservation, which is the opening hour for dinner, served Wednesday – Sunday. From the outside, the restaurant looks like it could be a building from an old western movie. The inside looks like a well-built and well-maintained dining room and bar from an earlier gold boom era. The host walked us over to a chalk board with the day’s menu. He explained the appetizer, soups, salad, main courses, desserts and after-dinner cheese and fruit plate. There are two dinner choices: a 6- or 3-course fixed price dinner. For bar drinks, you walk over to the bar, purchase your drink and bring it back to your table. Our group was seated at three adjacent tables. My wife and I each chose a 6-course dinner. The appetizer was a tasty cucumber boat with herb cheese. My wife had the cold melon flavored soup and I had a hot duck and mushroom flavored soup. Both soups were quite good. On our very fresh salads, we each had the creamy house dressing. From main courses such as pork, lamb, duck, fish and rabbit, my wife selected the Ono fish plate with potato, corn and cabbage. I had trout with rice, corn and cabbage. These veggie combinations went well with the fish. Our chocolate torte and cold strawberry cake were great desserts. And then, the 3-cheese plate with an apple slice, grapes and Melba toast made a satisfying finale. Others in our group were pleased with their dinners. Our waitress was always pleasant and gladly explained each course. The bar tender was a cheerful guy who liked to talk with his customers. Our dinner at the Gold Hill Inn was a most enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Henry A
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

A long ride up the. Mountain with dirt road and hairpin turns brings you to a rustic mining town. In a log cabin you will find outstanding food (fixed price for 3 or 6 courses). Served by family members - had a great salad,homemade bread,a steak to rival any I've eaten and the best chocolate torte! All for $29! Call for a reservation in spite of it being at 11,000 feet in the middle of nowhere! Ask about the back road to Boulder - a right after the restaurant heading back - unbelievable scenery, turns and canyons.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

What a beautiful view as you drive up and back from the Gold Hill Inn! You're not moving very quickly : ) so you have plenty of time to enjoy the views and stop to take some gorgeous photos.

The people at the Inn are delightful - very friendly and service was good. The meal was okay - one of us did the 6 course and the other three of us did the 3 course. The 3 was plenty, none of us left hungry but the best I can say is that the dinner was not bad, but it would not necessarily be someplace I would "just have to return to".