“Excellent Dinner at Boulder Cork”
Review of Boulder Cork

Boulder Cork
Ranked #23 of 598 Restaurants in Boulder
Price range: US$31 - US$80
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Iris
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

The dinner at the well established Boulder Cork was excellent but pricey. The prime rib sandwich, prime rib, filet mignon with lobster were excellent and noteworthy. The service was very good. Recommend but pricey.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

I've lived in Boulder since 2004 and have only been to the Cork three times.
The food is excellent -- filet mignon last night (04/22/2018) was beautifully tender and absolutely perfectly done -- but I was surprised at what I would consider some serious lapses:

First of all, for a restaurant that charged $40 for that filet, all sides were a la carte: want mashed potatoes or a vegetable? $8 to $10 additional.

Second, the so-called Caesar salad was basically a shredded Romaine salad, dressed with olive oil, and topped with shredded -- not grated, nor tossed into the salad -- cheese. I can't call it Parmesan or Pecorino since it had almost no taste. The waitress brought the salad, and had to then leave to find the peppermill. I finally began to eat the salad after waiting quite a while for the peppermill to arrive. My question here is why was the pepper not brought with the salad?

Third, the bread basket had the distinct quality of having been warmed and previously served to another table: the bread was crumbly, and seemed stale. The second basket was somewhat better, but not the quality I would expect for a restaurant of this caliber.
The ramekin of butter was ice-cold and attempting to spread the butter on the bread basically reduced the bread to large crumbs.

Fourth, service was truly slow.

Fifth, and here is where I find myself debating whether to return again, I was charged above the menu price for a straight up -- no ice -- Dewars whisky, an upcharge I discovered only when reviewing the bill.

The menu price for a Dewars was $7.75, but when we got the bill, I discovered I had been charged an extra $1.00 or $1.50. When I inquired, the waitress informed me that since I had not ordered my Scotch on the rocks, I was charged extra. What? Incredulous, I pressed the point and the waitress finally explained that in fact, ordering a drink without ice actually gives me an extra 1/2 oz of alcohol. I have NEVER been charged extra -- nor served extra -- for a drink w/o ice.

More irritating, as I told the manager, I was not informed of that when I ordered the drink, nor upon my second order of the same drink. To add insult to this absurdity, the manager had quickly offered to remove the charges for the two Scotches, but when the bill was again presented, only one Scotch was deleted. I paid and we left.

Not sure if I will return again. The food was excellent but this hidden charge really put me off.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

This is one of the oldest established restaurants in Boulder. It needs updating, but does have a great happy hour.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

I visited Boulder Cork during a business trip and enjoyed the experience. We sat near the bar and ordered several rounds of appetizers and enjoyed their nightly specials. The food is a bit pricey for the serving size, even with their specials. I did enjoy the ice cream sandwich desert. The ice cream sandwich was a unique offering and was quite well done.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

A first visit to the Boulder Cork left me pleasantly surprised after enjoying a superior End Cut Prime Rib cooked to (medium rare) perfection. Unfortunately, both the appetizers and service were only a touch above mediocre adequacy accompanied by decent desserts. With that said, would definitely return to this well priced establishment.

Been to Boulder Cork? Share your experiences!