“Family owned and operated”

Doma Sushi Met Galbi
Ranked #39 of 55 Restaurants in Tahoe City
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

I can not say the food is good. But the service is very nice, family owned and operated, so be patient. The quality of the fish is good and fresh and the portions are very generous. Though their rice is not good. But, I would probably return due to their good service.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

I wasn't sure what to make of this place after scanning the reviews since it seemed they either get a single star... or five? In short, it is kind of a curious little place with, for the most part, really good sushi and ramen, but an interesting approach to environment and customers. The restaurant is attached to what appears to be a small country music hall with a stage, but no separate bar. Country music plays loudly while you dine.

A word of advise: call and let them know that you are coming, or put another way, receive permission to come for dinner ;-)

My son and I decided to try it, and following the advise above posted by others, we called ahead. The person who answered paused when I asked to make a reservation at 8:15 and asked if we could arrive at 8:30 instead because they're already serving "a big party". We were already in the car and only five minutes away, so she agreed that we could come, but that we'd have to wait. As it turns out, the big party was a table of 8 and there were only two other couples seated. There were not one, but two, signs on the doors saying "reservations only". When we walked in, we were told "sorry, we're not seating any more guests". I pointed out that I had just called five minutes ago which immediately rendered a more positive response and we were seated right away.

Better yet, I had just barely even taken off my jacket and the (new) waitress brought out two hot bowls of miso soup and waters. She quickly took our orders - 16 pc sashimi and a soft shell crab roll for me and a bowl of ramen for my son. Their HUGE portions were served within 15 minutes and were reasonably priced. The fish was clearly very fresh, although I thought that the tuna was bit mushy for my taste, but everything else was phenomenal. Our new waitress was very friendly and attentive, although understandably not entirely familiar with the menu or process. When I asked for a small dish for my wasabi and soy sauce, she wasn't sure what I was asking for which elicited a sharp bark at her from the chef from behind the counter. Likewise, the wife/owner (?) was exceedingly friendly with us, but kind of rode our poor waitress like a ragged pony, nitpicking her on every detail and getting into her grill. It was a little surreal. I ended up paying for our bill using a credit card, but paying the tip in cash directly to the waitress when nobody was looking, uncertain as to whether she would get it otherwise.

I kind of felt like I was in a Seinfeld episode with the soup nazi - be humble and don't mess around with your order, and you may just be allowed to eat! If you are so lucky, you'll enjoy the experience.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

The best sushi in Tahoe/Truckee/Reno! I can't believe I didn't try Doma sooner, it's a gem. The fish is super fresh, sushi is fantastic, and the family is great. I once got food to go and the woman greeted me and gave me miso soup to sip on solely because I had to wait a five minutes until my food was ready. It's authentic, clean, and friendly! Thank you Doma for bringing good, unique food to our community

Reviewed 2 July 2017

After a 5.5 hour drive to Tahoe City, the reward was an over-the-top phenomenal meal at Doma in Tahoe City. Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. This is an all star caring and friendly place, a diamond in the mountains. Family owned, Thomas, the chef, commutes from Sacramento daily to create masterpieces that will explode on your palate. This restaurant is his dream-come true with the quality of his edible creations exhibiting his passion for food excellence. The presentation of each dish is picture perfect. During the week, Thomas takes reservations, seats guest, prepares the meals, and probably does the dishes. Be patient. Every bite is worth the wait. On the weekends, his lovely wife, Mia, is the affable greeter and waitress. The grandmother makes all of the fabulous broths, soups, ramen, and noodles, and even their teenage son helps out when possible. Don’t even bother looking at the menu. Just ask them what they recommend for the day and you’ll be treated like royalty. However, don’t miss the Kaylee (not on the menu). It’s adventurous, beautiful, and sassy. Doma is NOT a sushi restaurant that fills you up with rice and gives you tiny slivers of fish. Instead, Doma offers large, delicious chunks of the freshest fish from around the world. Thomas probably turns down more fish than he accepts because quality and freshness are paramount at his restaurant. Sake is terrific and their beer on tap really hits the spot with the spiciness of a few of the dishes. Don’t ask me the names of what we ate because Mia just delivered their favorites, which quickly became my favorites. If the food isn’t enough for the experience, Thomas is also a music buff offering a stage with karaoke. Everyone is invited to get up, sing, perform, and enjoy the show. After such a phenomenal meal, who cares what we sounded like! This is a MUST dine restaurant when visiting Lake Tahoe. If you are smart you’ll jump in your car right now and head to Tahoe City for a sushi experience at Doma that you won’t forget. The bonus for your trip is that there just happens to be a beautiful lake and marvelous mountains surrounding this destination eatery. Bon Appétit, or actually “Itadakimasu”!

Reviewed 16 July 2016

You absolutely must call before you attempt to eat here. Arrived at 7:26 on Wed. night. Sign states they are open until 9:00. Not true. Our hungry family of 6 arrived to a half full restaurant only to be told they were closed because they could not accommodate any more customers that night. Huh!! Really? That's a first for me. Cannot comment on food because we did not dine there. We went on to Hiro Sushi in Kings Beach for a fantastic dinner of sushi. All's well that ends well.