“Average food- not for vegetarians or GF”
Review of Za's

Za's
Ranked #18 of 55 Restaurants in Tahoe City
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

We were large amount of people. The food was so so - very average in taste and presentation. The menu was very poor when it comes you fish. One dish they had on the list there were sold out of. The rest of the seafood was killed with over-breading and over- frying. I would not dine there again.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I’ve always been amazed that Tahoe City never has a decent Italian restaurant for long. Za’s is fairly new and is okay. It is located in the back of Pete n Peters, a local watering hole of long standing.
Dinner was started with bread. I was hoping for nice crusty bread, preferably sourdough. Instead we were served a decidedly sweet bread. This was paired not with butter or balsamic & olive oil, but a brown paste. It had a decidedly acidic taste and was garlicy. Not great.
The soup of the day was corn & clam, which was quite good. My partner had pasta with clams which were reported to be very good. My vegetable pasta was passable; the brussel sprouts tended to overpower the dish, giving it an odd taste.
Would we eat here again? Sure. Service is good, staff is friendly. Food is okay, but nothing to die for.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

It's a bit hard to find, especially in the dark, but is definitely worth the hunt. It's a place the locals go. Grilled romaine with bacon and gorgonzola was just the right thing for a light meal as was the hamburger my friends had. It does take-out if that is what you are looking for..

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Started with the bread to dunk. It was bread out of a bag, then the beef Thai salad, had to return it, took two bites, the beef was old and sour, made me sick the rest of the night. Waitress exchange it for a house salad, the greens were decayed,
wilted, just thrown in the plate, the
polenta was boring, the pesto pizza was water and the crust tasteless and doughy. I am Italian and know good quality food
I don't know how the chef says he is serving Italian food, the waitress had no personality and ignored us. Would never go back, better options in town.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

I'm not sure why Za's got such great reviews. At best, the food was just average, the calamari was disappointing. We sat at an outdoor table where a stray dog was pestering us. Service was OK, but nothing exemplary.