“Always a star” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lootens Pl
Description: Taj of Marin is a family owned and operated Indian restaurant providing authentic and delicious Indian food at a great price. Our upscale, family-friendly atmosphere is perfect for enjoying the most exquisite Indian cuisine available in the North Bay area. Adorned with traditional Indian artwork and decor, every aspect of Taj of Marin is truly authentic.
San Rafael, California
“Always a star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2015 via mobile

Indian food is always been very special to me. I'm a big fan of spices. You can go from a beautiful space on your pallets all the way up to some nice fire from some of the papers that they put in the spices. And when I'm real hungry I love going to touch because they have a massive buffet and it's located in the heart of downtown San Rafael. From starting with the salad to having tandoori to the great array of foods that are offered you can keep going back and changing your palate as you go. I try to have small bites of everything rather than big portions of everything that way I can really taste the range of Indian food at this place. The service was fast and pleasant and the place is always busy no matter what time of day you come but it's always easy to get a table. Everyone has foods that they like and mine are always on the menu. I don't know if they change it up but I'm always pleased that when I go there I find what I like. I'd like to say that the tandoori a chicken was cooked perfectly. It was moist and had all the flavor. Don't worry about parking you been though you're downtown because if you enter through the back door you've just left the city parking lot so there's plenty of parking everywhere. Don't forget to try the mango ice cream a great way to end your meal.

San Rafael, California, USA
“Good Indian Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2015

The food was good, although I felt that the portions were a little small for the price that we paid. I wanted to use a Yelp Check-In, but it apparently expired in February and they wouldn't honor it. We also used a Groupon that was easily accepted. We order off the a la carte menu, but I noticed they had a dinner buffet. I might want to try that in the future. In addition, we made a reservation via OpenTable, but they didn't even ask our names to check on our reservations. Fortunately, there was a table available for us when we arrived.

Visited March 2015
Gurpreet S, Owner at Taj of Marin, responded to this review, March 19, 2015
Thanks for the feedback, Justin. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us some feedback. If there's anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Cheers,
Sugar Hill, Georgia
“Not This Time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Have enjoyed lunch at Taj several times during my trips to San Rafael. This last trip something on the buffet wasn't quite right. I am reluctant to try again. My assumption is that something was undercooked.

Visited May 2014
Gurpreet S, Owner at Taj of Marin, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
We're glad that you've enjoyed your other meals with us, but disappointed that your last experience wasn't up to par. When did you eat with us? I would love to look further into this situation.

Best,
Graton, CA
“A good boulevard lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

We were on our way to a Sunday afternoon show in San Francisco and we needed a lunch stop. The buffet at this restaurant suited us perfectly. Though small, the restaurant is pretty easily spotted on 4th Street, a popular thoroughfare in San Rafael but one that actually had available (metered) street-parking quite close to the destination. Taj of Marin is not fancy, just very good, and with attentive service which was well suited to people with limited time available. The buffet featured a pleasing assortment of vegetarian and meat dishes including an Indian version of a green salad bar; the food was well prepared, and though possibly not as assertively spiced as I prefer in North Indian cuisine it was a long way past simply adequate. Their naan bread (included in the very reasonable buffet price) was extremely good! We will definitely return, as they also feature an à la carte menu that we didn't try.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gurpreet S, Owner at Taj of Marin, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
It's so wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your lunch with us! We're all about authentic flavors and tasty naan, so it's great to see your compliments. Thanks for the review. If there's ever anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Best,
Tampa, Florida
“Best Indian cuisine in north SFO.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

An early dinner for us turned out to be quite memorable. We were one of 3 tables occupied when we arrived, but it quickly filled up. We had finished an assortment of very tasty appetizers when the roll back roof opened, providing a wonderful evening light that showed the detail of this eye catching restaurant.
Entrees were served, and we were treated to very diverse, and extremely yummy foods. One couple ate vegetarian dishes and one had varieties of meat, and we were all extremely pleased with the quality of food served.
The wait staff was attentive, and knew their products well.
Go out of your way to enjoy a special place, you won't regret it.

• Visited September 2013
Gurpreet S, Owner at Taj of Marin, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Tasty food, wonderful ambiance, great service — that's what we're all about, so it's great to hear that we're doing a good job, Steven. Did you have any favorite dishes with us? Thank you for the feedback and I hope you'll visit us again the next time you're in the Bay Area!

Till then,