“Birthday”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Roseville Parkway
Description: Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We sat out on the patio. I think there was only one server as it took a good 10 minutes before we were served. It then took 20 minutes for our drinks, one of which was wrong.
One person had the special flat bread, one lasagne, one penne and one soup.
The soup was lukewarm, the lasagna was burnt on top, but hot, the penne was tasteless and when asked for chili peppers, we didn't get them until after the dinner. Same with the wine, it came when we were finished eating.
Il Fornaio used to be our place to go to for a nice dinner. Sadly, we will not return.

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (303)

Reviewed 13 March 2021

Well, every year once or twice I'm lured into going back by friends or myself, to Il Fornaio. Every time I think, I've got to give it another chance, and every time I wind up saying I'll never do it again.

The name promises great Italian and the restaurant is beautiful, with one of the best outdoor patio areas in the region, which is why with Covid, I gave them yet another try.

And again, I was sorely sorry for my choice.

My wife and I went for a late lunch/ early dinner and were seated by a very friendly host, near one of the fireplaces on the patio, which at 3 pm was not crowded at all., only 5 tables taken in the whole restaurant.

Then it started to rain hard, pounding on the roof beautifully, and the perfect setting was set. The only reason they get 2 stars, definitely not service or the really bad food.

Our waitress, who was fairly slow getting to our table took our drink orders, was seemingly "elsewhere" and knew but didn't know the menu if you know what I mean.

After a long wait, she returned with our drinks (one lemon drop, one iced tea), no lemon or sweetener for my iced tea, and my wife's lemon drop (definitely not handmade) was undrinkable. Pure vodka with a small splash of sweet & sour.

I had request lemon (which didn't come out for a while so I drank it without), and that my wifes drink be fixed. Strangely, she didn't take that drink but came back with a creamer full of pre-mix stuff that she left at the table. Arggggh.

Wanting to enjoy time with my wife and the setting, I just smiled and enjoyed the moment.

We waited, and waited (which seemed strange with so few guests) and the food came.

My wife ordered the lasagne with Bechamel sauce and meat ragu which was odd but when we asked about it, were told it was delicious. It wasn't a good combo and the "ragu" was just some ground beef tossed in. After two bites my wife stopped eating.

i ordered the "Spicy Seafood Linguini that sounded like it had some promise. Again a no-go. The sauce wsa a Red Sauce that had red pepper added (spicy), but was otherwise, not very tasty. The pasta itself was just mediocre store-bought. I think both the Sauce and Pasta came from a distributor like "Tony's" in the Bay Area. It was good but in no way great.

My wife's would have been better with the red sauce and mine better with the Bechamel.

All the while, my Iced tea ran dry, as did the oil and vinegar for dipping the bread (and the bread which we had to request and ate because of the long wait).

I will never go back again and will risk friendships to hold fast.

Date of visit: March 2021
2  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 10 November 2020 via mobile

Wow. I just had one of the best meals ever. And even at a chain restaurant. Holy cow the Gamberoni alla Busara is exceptional. Just enough heat from the Calabrian peppers, slight tartness with capers, sweet shallots, and delicious brandy cream sauce paired very well with sumptuous prawns. Service was outstanding. Tyler was awesome. He understands people and is super accommodating. Mangia!

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank 559robertf559
Reviewed 12 March 2020 via mobile

Had the absolute best waitress (server 38289), she made it a very special visit. The food at Il Fornaio is always great but her special type of attention made it an evening to remember!

Date of visit: March 2020
1  Thank 474kathleenl
Reviewed 11 March 2020

We were part of a party of 30 on a Sun. late afternoon to celebrate a 90th birthday.
The menu was pre-selected and you had a choice of 1 of 3 dinners. Steak, Fish or pasta. At our table of 8, 5 ordered steak, 2 fish and 1 pasta.
All 5 steaks were very thin cuts, over cooked and tough. One was sent back and replaced with fish.
All 3 fish dinners were very small portions, 2 of which were cold when served. The pasta dish was lukewarm and lacking in flavor.
Talking to the person responsible for the planning of the party stated that her stake was also tough and cold upon being served.
The horderves provided were very good and started out hot.
The wine provided flowed from bottles poured by the attentive staff.
Having eaten here several times in the past years, this was the worst meal I have ever been served here. We recommended that the host speak to a Mgr. in hopes of getting some of the bill reduced.
Our experience would be on par with expectations of a Denny's Restaurant.

Date of visit: March 2020