“Last minute find...Amazing!!!”

Sun, 05/12
20:00
Ranked #17 of 233 Restaurants in Petaluma
Reviewed 12 October 2021

We found this place on a google search for "oysters close by" as we were coming from Napa and were going to Hog Island when we found out they had already closed on a Sunday night. Since we were staying in Petaluma on this trip and they were 5 minutes from our hotel...it was a no brainer.

My goodness...I am so glad my wife found this place on the spur of the moment. We were in town celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and what a great last dinner meal before we had to head back home.

We were seated at the bar and enjoyed watching them cook and shuck oysters...but the best part was the food. We went out on a limb and ordered the whole fish meal (we normally say "NO" to the whole fish thing). What a pleasant surprise. The fish was downright AMAZING...please go ahead and give this a try. Even if the whole fish thing is scary to you...put a couple of lettuce leaves over the eyeball and dig in...you will be glad you did!

Date of visit: October 2021
Write a reviewReviews (64)

Reviewed 15 September 2021

Arriving early than our reservation on a jam-packed Saturday, they accommodated us immediately. The small and narrow space in historic downtown Petaluma had warm, old-Americana ambiance with the quaintness of a fishing village. All staff and visitors were wearing masks in COVID compliance.

From a chowder aficionado who has ordered this hundreds of times across North America and the Caribbean, this Clam Chowder ($10) was peerless! So smooth, no potatoes, and a depth of creamy richness that was seasoned uniquely and to perfection. The best that has ever passes our lips!

There was a selection of very fresh oysters ($3.25 each) as well as baked ($4 each) with a choice of finishing including Bingo, Chef's Choice, Rockefeller, and Chipotle.

The Catch of the Day ($32) was exquisitely orchestrated. The Panko crust on the Halibut was so delicate and the flesh of the fish was cooked to perfection. The tomatoes, oyster mushrooms, and lemony Bearnaise Sauce completed an entirely gastronomic heaven on a plate!

The Linguine del Mar ($30) was heaped high with a generous portion of mussels, shrimp, and clams. I should have ordered something more unique. While this dish was delicious, equally tasty renditions may be found across the Americas and Europe.

To complement our meal, a very simple yet thoughtful wine list allowed very nice pairings.

As for the service, our guy was a delightful, composed during a mad rush, and quite helpful.

We haven't dined in Petaluma much, but if we were to return, The Shuckery would be atop our list.

Date of visit: September 2021
1  Thank MsCanuck24
Reviewed 12 June 2021 via mobile

Amazing seafood and I live on the water on the east coast!
Friendly service (shoutout to Candice!) & since I’m at the adjoining hotel, I’ll definitely be back.
Need to try your famous chowder!

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank travelinyourmind2020
Reviewed 12 January 2021 via mobile

I waited a while to try their clam chowder due to the holidays and covid. Let me tell you it was worth the wait. As a new Englander, this stuff is solid. Fantastic flavor, perfect consistency, pairs perfect with some sourdough or French bread. At first I was a little thrown off by the pricing of near $30/qt. But after tasting, I enjoy this chowdah way better than anything out at Bodega or down at Fishermans Wharf. Downtown Petaluma. Not some watered down junk, this is some real deal Clam Chowder. Just saying, get you some

Date of visit: January 2021
2  Thank benfG2354WQ
Reviewed 24 April 2020 via mobile

Many people think this restaurant is good mostly for oysters. While this is true, it is also great for other food. My husband and I have dined in the restaurant a few times.

During this time of shelter in place, we look forward to the incredible to go meals offered at The Shuckery. We’ve enjoyed salmon Wellington with scalloped potatoes, a fresh leek tart, green salad, and panna cotta for dessert. Another time we had fried chicken with broccolini and macaroni and cheese and a wonderful salad. For dessert we had bread pudding with caramel sauce. The portions are very generous and the food is cheerfully delivered to our car at the curb.

These delicious meals are one of the bright and dependable spots in this time of uncertainty. We will go back for more to go dinners, and when they can reopen for in-restaurant dining, we will be one of the first there!

Date of visit: April 2020