All reviews the barn garden room family style dinner fire pit complimentary sangria communal dinner art books french press coffee frozen grapes private patio walls are very thin other guests hot tub yogurt an oasis in the desert fresh towels hard boiled eggs
Reviewed 19 July 2018

This review is for The Long Table, In The Barn Kitchen at Sparrows Lodge. Had a large group there for dinner and it was lovely. The ambience is amazing and it is so beautifully set up. The service was perfect and dinner was just the way I like it, fresh, interesting but not too complicated and family style! Baby lettuce and feta salad, grapes, dried cherry, walnut, apple and apple vinaigrette, Marinated flank steak with roasted garlic puree and asparagus, and a dark chocolate brownie with chocolate sauce and ice cream. Absolutely lovely! Thank you!

Stayed: April 2018
1  Thank Meema21
JackieM3205, General Manager at Sparrows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Hello Meema21,

So great to hear you enjoyed our family style dinner! We really enjoy getting the dinner all set for everyone and its so nice to hear you appreciate all our little details! Hope to have you again.

Best,
Jackie

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Just had nice weekend here.Great peaceful place w great breakfast spread and idyllic pool .location close to downtown restaurants and staff very helpful..Leave the kids at the bus stop and enjoy.Rooms include comfortable beds and an empty Smeg mini reefer.A/C is powerful and kept us comfy despite summer temps in the teens outside.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

I booked my stay at the Sparrows Lodge after doing extensive research to try to find a place in Palm Springs that would be thoughtfully curated and “cool” but not a “scene” — I was seeking a quiet place to have a restful and restorative visit and the Sparrows exceeded my expectations. Having read several reviews I knew some things to expect prior to arriving — I’d seen others comment that the walls were thin, the rooms somewhat dark and the decor was minimal. Yes, the walls between the rooms are thin but that was never an issue for me — I brought earplugs just in case but didn’t have to use them and instead enjoyed the rustic feel of the entire property (walls included). Yes, the rooms are dark but unless I was planning a photoshoot in the far corners of the room it didn’t matter in the least and in fact felt calming to return to a dark room after spending time in the bright Palm Springs sun. They do provide small LED flashlights in case you need to check said dark corners, which is great because I actually dropped a pair of socks I wouldn’t have seen otherwise. Yes, the decor is minimal in the sense that it is so thoughtfully curated and feels extremely intentional. I loved my room and the rest of the furnishings/art on the property — I wish I’d been able to spend more time enjoying how beautifully laid out everything was there because my room, the fire pit, the gardens, the front gate house are all such welcoming areas.
I was able to have an extremely mellow and relaxing stay — I can’t emphasize enough how lovely the property or the staff were in facilitating this. I do think that staying midweek probably helped in things feeling quieter, but honestly there were days when every chaise by the pool was full and the atmosphere never felt like a “party” and instead was more like several adults doing their own thing (couples, groups of friends, solo travelers) while balancing being friendly and respectful of other guests’ space and privacy.
Check in was slightly confusing (I’m sure this is mentioned in other reviews but I didn’t see it) in that you enter the front gate house and then walk back by the pool to the barn, which is the main hub for the hotel. There is a sign that says to come back to the barn but I didn’t see it at first and I did have a few other people ask me where to check in on subsequent days. Check in itself was easy — the feel is the opposite of a stuffy or cookie cutter business hotel. Parking out front was also easy.
There’s the option to eat the complimentary breakfast and to dine at the barn/pool, I appreciated the options available for both the continental breakfast and the lunch/dinner. The bar options are beer, wine or soju-based cocktails and were quite good. The food I had was great and the staff was receptive to hearing other requests for the continental breakfast. Fruit is available in great cubbies numbered by room and also at the bar/front desk. I had a few meals there and a few out in Palm Springs, it’s nice to have solid options at the hotel.
The staff was friendly, helpful and also gives people their space and privacy. I had great interactions with all the staff at all hours of the day, the entire time I was there. You can tell they go out of their way to facilitate a great atmosphere for the guests, from housekeeping to the groundskeeping staff to the folks working in the barn and combining concierge/front desk/bar duties.
Some thoughtful touches in my room included a small fridge, great seating options on a small patio (I booked a garden room), great bedding and a few nights while I was there the delivery of fresh towels, water and a small sweet. I have to say that the shower and bath trough were phenomenal — I loved the bath salts available and the great tray for the tub. My one request would be better positioning of the toiletry rack in the shower. I’m definitely not tall, but the height it was mounted at made reading for soap a significant stretch. The clothing storage options are a small foot locker, a rack for luggage and a bar to hang clothing on — all of which was more than sufficient for my visit. I was nervous at first about the lack of TV because sometimes it is great to go back to your room and zone out but in retrospect I am so glad there aren’t televisions there — it meant I read more at night to be honest!
The grounds are really beautiful - Adirondack chairs are available to sit in and there is a long table where they offer their seated dinners on weekends. The pool was where I spent a great deal of time and I wish I was back there right now. I think it was due for a small cleaning as all of the respective guests’ sunscreens made some of the tile around the edges a little greasy/streaky, but honestly that is such a small thing to note. The pool is gorgeous, period. It was great to get to rest by the pool, soak up the sun, swim and repeat. No pool floats or toys are allowed which is totally fine by me. The music playing on the speakers by the pool was awesome and so up me alley it felt like one of my playlists.
I hope the Sparrows Lodge is able to maintain its unique and lovely atmosphere — I loved my stay here and cannot wait to come back (hopefully so soon!). Thank you to the staff for your hospitality and for such a relaxing stay.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank morningcoffeeplease
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Very rustic property. You are staying in a converted horse stable with a trough for a tub.

Bare bones as far as amenities - minimum towels, minimum sheets, no slippers/robe/minibar or fridge.

No storage or closet - no drawers for clothes - there was a hanging bar above a footlocker with 4 hangers.
No coffee/tea maker in room.
Very dark in the room - even with extra floor lamp.

No help with baggage to/from room. Small parking lot, you drag your luggage in, go past the pool and ask at the bar to check in. Not very helpful or friendly.

Very minimal breakfast on offer - hard boiled egg, yogurt, granola, bread for you to toast, coffee - All self serve.

At this price one would think there would be a bit more effort/service.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daisy095
abdi m, General Manager at Sparrows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear Daisy,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are saddened to hear you did not enjoy your time with us at Sparrows Lodge. As you can see from the property’s press accolades and guest feedback, we pride ourselves on being a very special and unique property. Unfortunately, it is not for everyone and it sounds like it most likely was not the best fit. We would never call ourselves a “luxury” hotel, but a lifestyle boutique hotel. We hope we are the perfect accommodation for guests seeking a unique perspective on design, architecture, and personality. We like to cultivate a small community of like-minded guests looking for a peaceful, stylish, nurturing atmosphere.

We do hope you find the perfect accommodation for your next trip to Palm Springs.

Kind Regards,

Abdi

Reviewed 7 June 2018

I stayed at this hotel for one night for a little 24 hours staycation. As with most hotels in PS, you can't judge the place based on the outside. You would drive right past it and not think twice. However, once inside, it's a nice little desert oasis. It really is more like adult glamping than the traditional resort hotel. The hotel is one of the more expensive hotels in Palm Springs so I think I had high expectations based on the pricing.

The pool and garden area are very relaxing and were exactly what I was looking for when I left LA for some R&R. This poolside experience is definitely not the party crowd you would expect to see at other hotels that cater to the millennial crowd, which for us was a plus. This is for the working professional that wants peace and quiet. The one annoyance at the pool was the music selection provided was on repeat and you can only hear the same Rolling Stones song so many times before it gets annoying but we brought our own cocktails so after a few, that was quickly ignored. I think the pool is cleaned every morning too which was nice. We used it again in the morning and the pool was cleaned of all tree debris so that was reassuring.

In the evening they offered a S'more service at the fire pit. That was a nice experience. The staff provide a ready made box with what you would need to make a stellar s'more and guests can sit around the fire and chit chat. The hotel is quite small so it made it feel like camping. It seems the hotel really wants people to interact and unwind. That was a pleasant experience for sure. We met some nice people and had a nice time fireside. Very primal.

The room was nice and met our needs for the night. We had a bit of trouble with temperature control but I think that's standard in PS. We had a trough bathtub but didn't have the opportunity to use it and spent most of our time at the pool anyway. The outside patio was lovely although it's kind of odd that the patios connect to one another. It would be a great benefit if you're traveling with friends but it's kind of odd if you're neighbors are strangers.

The breakfast in the morning was a bit underwhelming for my taste. They offered continental fare but it was a little too Whole Foods granola for me. The lunch on the other hand was amazing. I had a backyard style burger and the burrata salad and it was delicious! The outdoor patio was an incredibly relaxing place to sit with a beer and just enjoy the spring air. It was probably one of the most enjoyable lunches I've ever had in Palm Springs and I would be happy to go back again just to eat.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would go back again if the price was right. I've seen rates as high as $800 for busy weekends and there is no way I'd pay that to stay here. I know PS can get expensive at times but I don't think I'd pay more than $350/nt to stay here considering what you're paying for is what you're not getting (crowds, kids, hustle and bustle) rather than what you are (resort amenities).

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
abdi m, General Manager at Sparrows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Dear Tanya,

I am so pleased you enjoyed the vibe we create at Sparrows Lodge. Please contact me directly when you would like to come back, we love having repeat guests.

Best,