“Honest Food, Good Prices, Great Service”
Review of Side Street Cafe

Side Street Cafe
Ranked #12 of 95 Restaurants in Newbury Park
Cuisines: American
Description: phone (805) 499-9323
Description: phone (805) 499-9323
Reviewed 22 April 2018

So I literally drive past this place every morning on my way out of town and tbh had never given it much thought. However, fancying a change from our usual Saturday morning breakfast and not really waning to drive miles to our usual "go to" places, we decided to try the Cafe instead.

So as has been mentioned, the Cafe is tucked away in an industrial estate, there's a small outdoor patio area - with views of industrial units(!) - but on a warm Saturday morning still a great place to grab a chair. Breakfast choices are plentiful and varied - there's even a specials board. Mrs SoCal went for the Denver Omelette, which she gave 10/10 for general fluffiness (apparently this is important), quality and quantity of filling, the fact that it wasn't folded scramble egg and that the dish was spelt correctly (the extra "te" at the end is important :)

I ordered the Hash and poached eggs with a side of fruit (healthy eating!) I'd actually say the Hash was one of the best I've eaten - well defined chunks of beef, sautéed onions and mushrooms that weren't swimming in grease. Poached eggs were perfect and weren't cooked in water with added vinegar (to stop them splitting) - cutting them open allowed the yolk to flow over the hash. OK, so the biscuits and gravy perhaps aren't up to Rabalais' high standard, but the drip coffee was more than drinkable and they substituted half and half for fresh milk without a missing a beat. Indeed, service was prompt and came with a smile... with no sticker shock on the bill, Side Street Cafe can look forward to our repeat business.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Very good food with great friendly service. I like that substitutions are never a problem.

One thing though—the coffee really needs an upgrade. The breakfasts are great but kind of diminished because of the mediocre coffee. A great cup of joe would really ice the cake on the experience.

Hole-in-the-wall is an apt description.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Great breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. Just the diner basics- but good food for decent prices. They even have a very small outdoor patio so you can eat with your dog.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately, a great local place that has over the years raised their prices, cut portions and decreased quality. It’s a shame as it was always a great place for Family breakfast or breakfast with friends.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Coming from the UK it felt awkward to drive to an industrial park for a meal. We arrived and I realised this must be a local favourite as there were no parking spaces close to the restaurant. We had a table immediately and the welcome sign had the daily specials which sounded excellent. The server was prompt and we ordered some amazing dishes. I had the breakfast burrito and fresh orange juice. My family split the banana French toast and and a salad. The portions were large, the food very good and the service amazing. I’d go back again if I was ever in LA.