“Favorite vineyard tour by far!”

Del Dotto Vineyards & Winery
Ranked #16 of 207 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our original historic location with our hand dug cave dating back to 1885. We offer our cave experience and barrel tasting daily featuring world reowned wines.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our group visited 3 vineyards while in Napa and this was our favorite - unique and fun. We did the cave tour and Simon spent plenty of time with us, was knowledgeable and funny. Love that you sampled straight from the barrel and could order bottles from the same barrel to be shipped in the future. Afterwards we had delicious snacks while sampling bottled versions of a few of the wines we loved. While a little more than we would spend on a typical bottle of wine, we chose a few to purchase. By the time they arrive in a few months, we'll be reminded again of the great experience we had!

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"great tour"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Outstanding cave tour with Alex. Very informative with opportunity to sample wines in American and French oak. The wine in the barrels and an older vintage that had been bottled were excellent The meats and cheeses after the cave tour were great. Highly recommend this tour. One of the highlights of our trip

Reviewed February 10, 2018 via mobile

We did the food and wine pairing at Del Dotto... it was pretty good. They were very accommodating to dietary restrictions and the service was timely. You did not feel rushed during the tasting... they explained the wine and food pairing and let you go off and appreciate it on your own.

The food was really good. The portions quite generous. I would recommend not eating too much prior as you want or enjoy the full experience. Note that we did the $95 pairing. The poppers tasting is less expensive and less food. Overall nice place.

Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

Very poor experience today at the Piazza, the tasting experience with wine (230USD for 2) could have been great but very rushed (all done in about 45 mins).

Suggest a wine tour of somewhere else as a much better use of precious time in Napa - wish we had....

See more reviews
Reviewed January 15, 2018

My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in Napa/Sonoma in December 2017. I found Del Dotto while doing some internet research before the trip and booked a tour of the wine caves at Atlas Peak (Historic cave). I got confused while scheduling that particular days events and I had plugged the Del Dotto Estate caves into my GPS (which is the Venetian case at the Piazza property--also Absolutely amazing; more on that later) So, I thought we had plenty of time to stop for a bite to eat. We found ourselves at the Rutherford Grill (which was FANTASTIC), but was a good 25 minutes from the historic caves, where we were supposed to be, but only 5 from the Piazza caves. I called Del Dotto at Atlas Peak and they were happy to push our reservation an hour later; very accommodating. We finished our great meal at Rutherford Grill and had plenty of time to get to the tour. We got checked in and were given a glass of white wine; can't remember what it was, but it was very good. We were in a small group with 2 other couples and our tour guide Jeff C. gathered us up and started the tour through the cave. Jeff was great. Great personality and knew his wine. Had a great educational session regarding French and American oak which set the stage for the barrel tasting throughout the cave. He was generous with the pours from the wine thief and we must have tasted at least a dozen wines. The tour was $60 p/p but I felt like my wife and I got our money's worth without a doubt. The wine, straight from the barrels, is obviously young, but already easy to tell that it will be amazing when it's had time to age appropriately. Loved the side-by-side testing of the same wine from French vs. American oak. The tour ended back in the foyer and Jeff brought out a nice charcuterie platter and a fresh pizza and a tasting of their signature Port (Delores). Great way to end a fantastic tour. Jeff was a great tour guide and extended an offer for us to visit the Piazza (Venetian) caves the following day as he was scheduled there. Since we had such a great time, we decided to do that as well. The Piazza property is entirely different; beautiful Italian styling, ornate, opulent, gorgeous. He took us on a quick tour as we arrived early and it wasn't busy yet. All in all, we ended up buying 4 bottles of wine between the 2 tours. I highly recommend both tours and ask for Jeff if you can.