“"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Well done!”

Mendocino Theatre Company
Ranked #13 of 19 things to do in Mendocino
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The mission of the Mendocino Theatre Company is to produce plays of substance and excitement, ranging from the classics to the cutting edge, to nurture local talent, and to provide meaningful theatrical experiences for our local and visiting audiences. MTC is a vital component of both our coastal artistic community and the local economy. We are the embodiment of a uniquely talented group of actors, directors, designers and theatre technicians, all dedicated to creating theatrical magic within the intimate setting of our artistic home, the 75-seat Helen Schoeni Theatre.
Reviewed 29 September 2017

1st off, the theater is intimate--approx. 75 seats. There is not one bad seat. 2nd of all, you may take your libation and treats from the theater's bar into the theater to enjoy while watching the performance.
But most important of all is the quality of the performance. This particular play was 3 hours long with one intermission. There were only 4 characters and I was amazed at the ability of the two main performers to memorize the amount of lines in this play. Well done!

This was not a "feel good" play. The story and characters are vile and pathetic. I felt like saying, "leave while you can" to the young couple who came over after a party, for a nightcap. But as the play unravels, the true make up of each character comes out and you find they are all very flawed individuals and not so innocent.

I made the comment upon leaving, to my husband, "I hope I am never invited to their house for drinks". It got a good laugh from my fellow theater goers.

We always look to see what is playing when we consider a getaway to Mendocino. I would put going to a theater production on the list of things to do while in Mendocino.

Date of experience: September 2017
Mendocino T, General Manager at Mendocino Theatre Company, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Thank you so much for your review, and for sharing your experience with other travelers.

We are so glad to hear that you make our little theatre a destination when you come to Mendocino. Performing a good play for an intelligent group of people who want to reflect on the world through a work of art is what we love most! We are grateful for your continued patronage.

Kind regards,

in 4 reviews
"tickets"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We enjoyed a great production of the famous Edward Albee play at the Mendocino Theatre. We hadn't high expectations, as this is a difficult and demanding play, particularly for the two lead characters, but the actors rose to the challenge and were excellent in their roles. The small and intimate theatre is delightful, with surprisingly comfortable tiered seating.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank 190Daniel
Mendocino T, General Manager at Mendocino Theatre Company, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

We are so pleased that you enjoyed this production, and we are grateful to you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Kind regards,

Pamela W. Allen
Executive Director

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Small quaint theater with all great seats. All plays that I have seen to date have been superb! LOVED The Flick!!

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 20 June 2015

Went to this wonderful play. I wish I could have seen it again. It was about a stamp collection with very rare stamp. The father who's collection it was died and the daughters began fighting over the stamp. Unexpected ending. Great cast. At the end the day we went a guest stamp collector was there and explained the history of the stamp. Great cast. Did I mention the actors were all great. They played their parts so well you think it is all so real and not a performance. Did I mention GREAT CAST.

Date of experience: May 2015