All reviews rooms are small boutique hotel highly recommend the varden continental breakfast complimentary wine glass shelf convention center european feel no elevator pine street keurig coffee downtown long beach yogurt bottled water trade show business trip business traveler
Reviewed 25 March 2018

I booked this hotel based off of other Tripadvisor ratings. The hotel is located only a block away from the main dining street in Long Beach. I was looking for something with good walkability factor as we did not have a car for our trip. I stayed 2 nights with my daughter who was auditioning at Cal State -Long Beach. While not by the water or having any good views the Varden met our needs for a short trip. The rooms are small as noted by other reviews but it worked for us as we were not in the room that much and were fine sharing a double bed. I also picked the hotel based off of the the cleanliness reviews and excellent customer service. I am giving the Varden 5 stars for the excellent customer service. You are greeted each and every time you enter the hotel and leave buy the front desk staff. The staff is very friendly and are happy to assist you in any way. Sarah at the front desk was extremely helpful with anything we needed offering to carry our bags to our room (no elevator be warned), restaurant recommendations (George's Greek Cafe was spot on and excellent), my daughter had a hip injury from dancing and Sarah quickly put together a bag of ice for her. After checking in to our room we discovered there were some stains on the bedding which surprised me as the hotel had such high marks for cleanliness and everything else in the room was very clean. When I brought the stains to Sarah's attention she apologized profusely and said she would bring it to the owner's attention. We were switched to another room immediately and the owner personally apologized the next morning and offered compensation which I did not ask for but greatly appreciated. Which to me is excellent customer service and certainly will ensure a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

I discovered the Varden Hotel in November of 2014 have been staying at this fine establishment since then.The staff is courteous and attentive at all times. The rooms are very clean and well organized. I stay there at least once a month. It’s centralized for all my business needs and the area where it’s located has excellent eating establishments al within walking distances. The staff is on first name basis with me and are always very good at providing me with all my needs.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2018

I was leery booking this hotel. The price was very low for the area, the building is quite old, and it seemed to be located in the middle of no where. Even upon arrival, the outside didn't look much more promising. To my surprise, the Varden ended up being one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at!

The age of the hotel means the rooms were small, but as a couple we had enough space, and there would be plenty if you travelled by yourself. Everything was immaculately clean inside and the staff were extremely helpful. If we needed anything, they had it to us within minutes.

Each day the hotel provided snacks and drinks in the lobby which was a nice touch.

The hotel itself is quiet and there's not much going on around it to generate noise.

While it feels fairly isolated on the street it's on, it was an easy 10 minute walk to the convention center.

We'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Expect small rooms and you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I booked a room last minute at the Varden and was pleasantly surprised. Great location in downtown. I lived in Long Beach for 15 years and didn’t know this gem existed. The staff was warm and welcoming. I’ll definitely be back!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank Erin L
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Great location. fantastically helpful front desk. The rooms are small but like white lacquered jewel boxes. Perfect in Long Beach. Only downside the continental breakfast - basically yogurt with sugar and packaged muffins with sugar. But we got back at 11 pm from work and they had wine and fruit for us... Trumps breakfast any way ! Plus some great eateries a block away. My new place in Long Beach!

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business