“Skip the "free" hotel breakfast and come HERE!”
Review of Cafe Vahik

Cafe Vahik
Ranked #60 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Reviewed 14 November 2017

I've been to San Diego/LaJolla numerous times but driving up La Jolla Blvd, didnt notice this small gem. Now that I found it, it will be a part of every trip to the area.
Our hotel "'free" breakfast across the street was over too early for us. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as we went instead to Vahik's for breakfast It's so good, we returned several additional times every day of our trip. The bagel sandwiches are delicious--we ordered the Mediterranean and lox/cream cheese on "good grain" bagel.
The espresso drinks are excellent. We had both almond and regular lattes. Vahik, according to a sign back where the brewed coffee is, gets the beans from a local specialty roaster --vive la difference!
This is a popular neighborhood place. Vatic said he's been here about ten years. There's evidently a loyal local following. It was busy but not overwhelming or noisy, every time we were here both for breakfast and lunch. There's a comfortable outdoor area under an awning. The owner, and the assistant who was there, are pleasant and patient, even during busy times.

Perfect start to a LaJolla day? Start at Vahik's, order a takeaway espresso drink, and a sandwich, and stroll to nearby (5 minutes walk) Windandsea Beach where you can enjoy the Pacific ocean view. We'll be back for more!

Reviewed 24 October 2017

Next to the Travelodge and close to Windansea in La Jolla, it seemed the perfect spot for a quick lunch. The place is small and dark, with a few additional tables on a tiny patio in the front. They serve mostly sandwiches/paninis with choice of bread and in combo with a small salad for lunch, plus a few specials that were not (yet/anymore?!?) available at noon. Maybe I was the unlucky one, but my panini was under baked, the ham was not fresh, and the whole thing just bland. The salad was in much better shape, although still below expectations. Water is self-serve inside, but the dispenser was empty, and remained so even after asking for water (which we received from the back, tap water in tiny plastic glasses). We got coffees after lunch, but should have known better, as my cappuccino was probably the worst I ever had. Prices are ok and staff is friendly, but overall I don’t understand the high ratings.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Delicious, copious omelette without robbing the bank, with prompt and friendly service.
I walked in, was greeted immediately and after choosing my omelette (the California: it has everything in it!!, Avocado, bacon, cheese, tomato...), the cook brought it to my table (I feel he may be one of the owners too, based on the kind of attention and service he was offering). I was treated nicely, and it was nice to see locals there, based on their interactions with the other staff/owners.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

We were staying at a hotel right across the street and while waiting for our room to be ready, the staff suggested we visit this place for a good, inexpensive lunch. They were right on with their suggestion. We both had the half sandwich and half Caesar salad lunch combo ($8) and both salad and sandwiches were great. I did like the fact that the restaurant staff made some great recommendations on the sandwiches, since they do have a lot to choose from. Since we had our dog with us, we sat on their small patio space in front of the restaurant. While small, we still had some room to maneuver with our 50lb dog and the both of us. If you want a great quality and priced lunch with a friendly staff, definitely come here.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Cafe Vahik is a hidden gem that we discovered right outside the steps of our hotel. Really,186 steps outside our hotel room. Great coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Everyone seems to know each other in this friendly place. Highly recommend