All reviews directly across the street ceiling fan mini fridge drawers motel shower amenities
Reviewed 9 January 2018

I booked and prepaid on Bedfinder. When we arrived there was no one at the front desk and the door was locked. I rang the bell but no one came. I then call the phone number and was told to wait. The female owner came to the front desk and said that she had cancelled my reservation and that she will give me the smallest room for $159/nite. After over 70 minutes, when Bedfinder called to clear up the billing she demanded $189 prepaid to provide me a room. She was unpleasant and solely focused on maximizing her room rate.

Room Tip: It is very loud and you hear ever car and motorcycle start and drive away.
  • Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John B
Dottie720, General Manager at Sand Castle Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 days ago

Hi there! Sorry about your awful experience. I wanted to say that we are now under new ownership and management. I'm Dottie the new GM. Took over since Aug 2018. We have changed so much here and can't make your past any better, although if want to ever come back around i'll give you a tour and a nice price to stay and enjoy the new Sand Castle Inn. New fresh style, new beds and most of all took cleanliness seriously when upgraded rooms! Hope to meet you and change the experience!

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

Room is muggy and smells like mildew. Bathroom shower curtain looked like it had never been changed, had stains.
Killed quite a few spiders, thick layer of dust behind the beds.
I will not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled on business

Reviewed 14 July 2017

This hotel is awful for customer service. Came here from out of town , Arizona with grand children for a wedding. Hard to sleep four in one bed. They wouldn't give us extra towels, not even extra pillows to put a toddler on the floor, just awful. Would never recommend this place. How could someone be so cruel. Really, just don't book this place. Pathetic, she just said No.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for decent customer service.
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
4  Thank barbara c

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

This is my second time at this hotel. First time I did not bother to review it was terrible, facilities and service . At the time they were renovating so I half understood. A year later decided to give them another try, the rate was unbeatable for an ocean view property. Facilities improved a bit and service too but still much to go. Mattress springs screech if you move a finger , 2 electrical outlets only in the whole room, no nightstand lamps, tv reception terrible, average wi fi. Will I come back ? Yes but will make sure to ask for a better room. Location is unbeatable. If you want to spend 3 times the cost , cross the street for an ocean front resort. These are the only 2 hotels beach front at imperial Beach.

Happy travels

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank XF O
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

There is much to recommend this Motel by the beach. My room was spacious and clean with stone tile floors and an open, airy, beach feel. The room includes a kitchenette and free, convenient parking close to your room door. The location is excellent -directly across the street from a park area that fronts the beach. It's literally only a minute walk across the street and down to the beach. Very close to the iconic Imperial Beach pier.

For me, a negative was that the bed was stone hard. Many people enjoy an extremely firm mattress, though, so this might appeal to many.

The room has no AC, but does have a ceiling fan above the bed. I feel that if all the room windows could be opened at night, the fan would work great to cool the room. However, the windows on the back of the room at kitchenette and bathroom area have no screen or curtains of any type, and they front the building behind the motel, which is either more hotel rooms or maybe apartments, I couldn't tell. In any case, if the back windows were open, anyone back there can just stare directly into the room, or even climb in the open window, so as a solo traveler, I didn't feel secure leaving those windows open at night -consequently, it was a bit stuffy.

The walls are probably a bit thin, I could clearly hear the people in the room next to mine talking, but everyone was quiet at night so it wasn't an issue.

The room has a coffee pot, microwave, fridge, and TV. There was no ice machine on the property, so if you need ice, you can buy it at the liquor store next door.

Excellent location -I have included a photo of the view from my room, you can see the ocean just beyond the park area.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled on business