“Good, almost great, lunch”

Westwoods BBQ and Spice Co.
Ranked #9 of 1,289 Restaurants in Fresno
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2019 via mobile

We enjoy Westwood, best bq in Fresno that we have found. But that is not a huge sample. We went there just after they opened and have visited with with small groups and large parties since.

It’s a big place with big architecture - large rough cut beams and lots of rough barn wood. I enjoy it, especially around the bar area. The bar is great with good selections of beer and better brands of booze. Shot prices are painted on barn wood and attached to the wall. All good with friendly and knowledgeable staff.

The food has been good from beginning although portions have diminished but are still generous. The menu continues to expand while the basics bq basics remain: St. Louis and baby back ribs, burnt ends, brisket, pulled pork (a favorite) and chicken. Great selection of salads, too.

Yes, I do like Westwood when it is good which is most all the time. We recently went for lunch. I had the Korean bowl with chicken and my wife had the Ceaser’s with grilled chicken. Korean salad was great with just the right amount kimchi taste. Unusual and I really recommend it. The Ceasers was good, little under dressed with only no croutons. But neither order came with the chicken we ordered. Error was fixed - grilled chicken was exceptional. My chicken was breaded and cut 3 or 4 random ways. Good but I don’t know how that fit with the rest of dish.

Bottom line: A great place with plenty of choices for everyone. But at peak times they pump out a ton of food - just sit opposite the open kitchen to see. Also the wait times get long.

Go and enjoy, just go off peak. By the way the wait staff is great!!

Reviewed 7 January 2019

Went to this restaurant after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and the reviews were spot on, great food and great service. The ribs were great! The beer and mixed drink menu was packed with choices. There were lots of TVs to view your favorite sports team. We’ll go back if we’re ever in the area.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 6 January 2019 via mobile

Had the three item platter. Everything on that plate was delicious. Order the garlic fries for appetizer there are addicting. The only thing it’s a long wait! They do not take reservations.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 4 January 2019 via mobile

I tried this place because it was recommended by a local. I'm glad I went early because the place was getting busy.
I had the beef ribs with a side of Cole slaw and beans. The beans were good, with bits of bacon and lite sauce. The Cole slaw was bland. The beef ribs were good, but not great. It was lightly smoked and tender and not chewy. The carrot cake was pretty good!
I would try this place again to sample other ribs and sides.

Reviewed 1 January 2019 via mobile

I took my team from Fresno out to a celebratory dinner and this was the place they chose. I believe they chose... wisely.

Loved the smell when we entered. The place was hugely full of customers on a Thursday night but we still didn’t wait long for a table.

Service was great but the best part was the food! I had the Tri tip which was mouthwatering and max and cheese on the side which was also awesome.

Very high recommendation even if your boss isn’t the one paying!

Date of visit: January 2019

Been to Westwoods BBQ and Spice Co.? Share your experiences!