“OMG!!! DO THIS!!!!”

and up
Dana Point Whale Watching and Dolphin Watching Eco-Safari
Ranked #1 of 20 Tours in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our high-tech sailing catamaran year round, with two Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. For 20 years Captain Dave's has provided daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, plus Gray Whales (December through April), Blue Whales (May through November), and year round Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and so much more. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods aboard Manute'a. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Mrs. Capt. Dave's famous triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. We are a real Eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. Ask about Fast Cat, our upscale Rigid Hull Inflatable Catamaran and the newest boat in our whale watching fleet.
Reviewed April 25, 2017

Hubby and I took the Fast Cat...the Zodiac boat...to see the whales. Even if we hadn't seen a whale, it was exciting to fly across the water. Captain Marie and her 1st mate were wonderful. The boat holds 12 but there were only 8 of us on the early morning ride. Space for moving around and meeting each other before we saw the whales. We found a great gray whale that became curious of our "little" boat and swam as close as 40 feet from us. Plenty of dolphins and seal lions, too. A GREAT 90 minutes of watertime.

1  Thank Robin S

Reviewed April 23, 2017

The crew at Captain Dave's is great! Always looking out for your best experience. We have gone several times and enjoy birthdays and holidays with Captain Dave's. Christmas boat parade is a favorite that we will sign on again for this year! We went around or on Valentines day and the crew shared a glass of champagne with all. They have the smallest groups and most fun boats. Easy free parking .We are big fans of Captain Dave's!

Reviewed April 23, 2017 via mobile

I'd heard about the Fast Cat adventure last year, and wanted to try it ever since. The cost was certainly higher than your average whale watching tour, but this trip was worth every penny. I think this is going to be an annual thing for my husband and I. We had so much fun. The Fast Cat is the Zodiac adventure where you're right on the water. With such a small boat and group size, you're not limited to seeing off one side of the boat. You can see all around.

Our captain, Marie, got us right to a huge pod of dolphins. Once surrounded, she slowed, allowing everyone to take turns looking over the bow of the boat. Here you can see the Dolphins so close that you can practically touch them. I wouldn't be surprised if some people actually did. You are that close.

Captain Marie then located two greys, a mom and calf. We spent a good twenty minutes watching them.

The boat ride itself is exciting. Lots of speeding and bumps. We were prepared to get wet, but we didn't.

If you only make one whale watching trip, it should be with Captain Dave's. The other ships they have look awesome too. I'm happy we did the fast cat though.

1  Thank thewinsomewench
Reviewed April 18, 2017 via mobile

Highly recommend. My wife & I are as much water people as you can be in middle America for many years. Trip was exciting, educational & much fun. Watching kids reaction to watching the dolphins & helping drive the boat was a blast. Very professional, knowledgeable & entertaining crew. Definitely do again.

Reviewed April 16, 2017

As part of a Spring Break trip to Southern California, I decided to take my teen/tween kids to do something outdoors and not associated with a theme park. Whale watching was the answer. After a fair amount of online research, I decided that Capt. Dave's seemed like the best choice, despite being a bit more expensive than other tours. We were not disappointed! The "I'm too cool for this" kids absolutely loved the experience (as did I) and could not stop talking about it afterwards. The really nice thing that makes this tour different is being on a catamaran with the "deck" being an open net that lets you get splashed, see the dolphins swim beneath your feet, and not feel like you are crowded. The crew was outstanding, friendly, and very safety conscious. I highly recommend it and will go back again.