All reviewsparanormal activityno elevatorstep back in timestage coachstate park systemhaunted hotelcomfortable roomsdouble bedshared bathroomgold rushperiod hoteltoilethallbalconyhistorybedstown
Reviewed 24 July 2017

The hotel was charming with antique furnishings, but they only had a double bed. We need at least a queen size bed, so we didn't sleep very well. The room had a bathroom, but you had to share a shower. The hotel was convenient to the show we were seeing, but you have to go to the city hotel to check in and out. That was not convenient. Also, there is no elevator, so you have to climb stairs.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
Columbia_Hotels, Public Relations Manager at Fallon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Thank you for your review of the Fallon Hotel! We're sorry you had difficulty sleeping during your stay. There are queen size beds at the City Hotel that are beautifully dressed in the 1850s fashion, and there are rooms available on the first floor of the Fallon Hotel. We hope that these tips help if you decided to stay with us again.

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the Fallon for a wedding at the Columbia State Park campgrounds. While I do love camping, the Fallon Hotel was a wonderful alternative for accommodations and so convenient. With historical charm, eccentric history and tales of ghost activity, this was such a fun visit. The rooms are exceptionally clean and charming - try to get one of the bigger rooms with a balcony. When you arrive, you need to check-in at the City Hotel just a few minute walk from the Fallon Hotel. If you drive, park your car, leave your luggage and walk down to the City hotel. No valet or porter. Remember, this visit to Columbia is a step back in time. If you embrace that, you will truly enjoy this experience.

Some reviewers balked at the sound of traffic or the "shared showers", but don't let that concern you. There are only about 10 rooms upstairs (and if you plan your showers off-time, it's a non issue). They even provide lovely terry robes in each room. We slept with our windows open at night, and the sound of traffic was not an issue for us. Each room has its own private water closet or "toilet". :)

I did a little research before our visit and the paranormal activity that has been recorded spooked me a little. However, it was not an issue. On the contrary, it was quite exciting to be able to experience any uniqueness to an historically haunted hotel. I'm super sensitive to spiritual activity and there was virtually nothing to be "spooked" about. It was actually quite fun.

There is such an incredible amount of things to do here - whitewater rafting, gold mining, hiking, local saloons and a wonderful historical stroll through downtown Columbia, complete with a working stage coach. They've done an amazing job of preserving the history of this town. And it is extremely kid friendly.

Highly recommend visiting Columbia, CA.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sunnie000
Reviewed 12 December 2016

I stayed here for 4 nights in November of 2016. Not many others were there. Is it because they don't know about it? Maybe they have to have all the amenities? I don't know. But for one or two people with off season rates like this, I couldn't say no! Sure, it doesn't have a TV (WiFi is available) or telephone (I've got a cell phone, hello!), and the shower is down the hall, but the atmosphere is so unique! Rooms are clean and comfortable. You're staying in a building built in the late 1850's, it's all about the experience. I've conversed with several people too that say this place IS haunted, although I didn't experience anything myself... or... maybe I did. Maybe I was just dreaming it, but I was shaken awake around 2:30 or so in the morning. I just opened my eyes, looked around, then went back to sleep. Truth be known, I was too dang tired to be messing around with any ghosts!
Some reviews mention the road noise right by this hotel. It didn't bother me at all, I don't think there was much if any traffic passing by in the middle of the night. But that is something to take into consideration if you are a light sleeper.
I have to say the best thing about staying at this location is it is right in Columbia SHP! This is where as a child we would come on vacation, go playing on the hydraulically mined rocks, visit the Candy Kitchen (a must if you go!), and stop in at the Douglas Saloon for a Sarsaparilla. Oh, and the Stage coach, don't miss that either! If you never been here, GO! And consider a stay at the Fallon or City Hotel, which may be my next venture.

Room Tip: If you're ghost hunting, ask for room 9. It is supposedly the most haunted!
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank GoldCountryTraveler
Columbia_Hotels, Public Relations Manager at Fallon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2016

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of the Fallon Hotel! It is definitely a unique experience staying in an 1800s hotel and you're right; you can't beat the downtown location. We hope to see you in the park again soon!

Reviewed 4 October 2016

We stayed for 2 nights at the Fallon Hotel, in one of the front rooms with a balcony overlooking Parrott's Ferry Road. This restored hotel has an authentic feel to it. The rooms have just toilet and wash basin in them. The shower is down the hall and is communal, just the way it would have been during the Gold Rush era. The beds, though comfy and clean, are short in the fashion of the 1880s, so a big man like myself needs to sleep with his legs bent at the knee to fit into the bed. There are not any televisions or telephones in the rooms, or coffee makers or indeed most of the modern conveniences. That is the charm of this place. Check in is at the City Hotel, several blocks up the main street, so it is best to leave the luggage in your car until you get your room key and are ready to take it to your room.
The parlor that you enter has an authentic Victorian feel to it, and if you have an upstairs room, you must climb the stairs because there is no elevator. The building also houses an ice cream parlor and small theater.
The location is wonderful. Just steps from the main portion of old Columbia, and the Columbia House restaurant, just 2 blocks away, is a great choice for breakfast, and the City Hotel just 3 blocks away is a great choice for a fine dinner, served by servers in period garb.
The only downside is being right on the road, with the accompanying road noise. Next time I want to try staying at the City Hotel to see if it is any quieter.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience a very authentic old style lodging experience!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street would be quieter
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wlntcrkca
Columbia_Hotels, Public Relations Manager at Fallon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2016

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Fallon Hotel. We agree, it has an authentic feel and we are glad you had a great stay. We look forward to your return visit when you check out the City Hotel!

Reviewed 21 August 2016

We stepped back in time for 2 nights in Columbia and the Fallon Hotel was a great place to stay. Great period room with the addition of efficient (and quiet) aircon. Spent an evening at the theatre watching 'The State Fair' and lost the kids for hours while they panned for gold.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank DrDolittle1
Columbia_Hotels, Public Relations Manager at Fallon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2016

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Fallon Hotel! We are so happy you had a nice visit in Columbia and were able to enjoy our local businesses as well as the hotel. Happy travels!