“Good for thrill seekers but physically demanding”

Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure
Book In Advance
More Info
US$135.00*
and up
Buena Vista Lodge and Adventure Center from...
More attraction details
Owner description: Buena Vista is a cattle raising Hacienda that changed part of its activity to dedicate itself to ecologic tourism in a rustic environment conserving the idiosyncrasy and culture of the zone. It is located 31kms from Liberia and it borders with the National Park Rincón de la Vieja. It has an area of approximately 2,000 acres, 1,400 of which are intended to regenerate the forest and where adventure activities take place, always protecting the environment. The remaining 600 acres are dedicated to cattle raising and the ranch produces the majority of the products that the Lodge consumes.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

We were in a very large tour group as we booked through our travel agent. We were the biggest group there on the day and I think if you are able to go in a smaller group it would be good as you can get around and do things with less waiting times.

First up we ziplined. To get to the zipline is around a 15 minute hike through the rainforest. If you have mobility issues or are unfit be aware this will be difficult for you. And there will be a lot of hiking up and down uneven ground throughout the day. Many people in our group were not informed of this and it took the shine off the day as we were hot, bothered and dehydrated after so much exertion that we weren't prepared for. I feel the travel operators should make people aware in advance so you know what to expect (and whether it is suitable for you).

The ziplining staff very nice and really patient and reassuring if you are nervous. I rate them a lot. Once we got to the first zipline one person in my party decided not to do the zipline as it was higher than expected. I also panicked but was told after this zipline the rest were lower and shorter so decided to go ahead. What I didn't realise is that once you are half way out on the first zipline you go over a canyon with a 500 foot drop. I regretted my decision to zipline! I now had to complete the course as it was the only way off. Although the rest were not as high they were still a lot higher than other ziplines I had previously done. Again I think the tour operator should have made this more clear. Most people in the group really had a good time with a lot of adrenaline. I was terrified the whole time.

Be warned you will need to use your upper body strength to get on and off of the lines. I have had a lot of problems with my shoulders and by the 7th zipline I had no strength left in my arms.

The platforms are very small. We were in a really big group that was split into 2 so around 15 people on a platform at once. Also platforms are mesh like metal so you can see through them. If you have any fear of heights this may be problematic.

Lunch is a buffet. Options of rice, beans, vegetables, beef and pasta. Not a huge selection but the food was nice. I very much appreciated that most of the food is grown on the property and is organic.

After lunch we did a horse ride. If you do not want to do this you can go in the tractor which takes you to the spa (you miss the horse ride and the waterfall with this option).

Horses were my favourite part. The horses know where they are going so very little you need to do. Surroundings are very nice.
You go up and down very steep hills. If you are a first time horse rider may be unsuitable.

After horses a hike to the waterfall. A proper hike for around 10-15 minutes there and then the same route back. Be prepared for uneven steps and terrain. Everyone was super hot and thirsty afterwards. Then a 10 minute walk to the spa on an incredibly steep hill.

The thermal spa consists of tubs of mud to put on yourself. You take it off with a feeling cold shower. There are then 5 thermal spa pools with various temperatures (warm to hot). Not like other thermal pools I have been to where you can smell the sulfur and minerals. More similar to swimming pools. But the setting in the jungle was beautiful. Nice to feel a little refreshed after sweating all day!

Things to know before you go:

This is an incredibly physical day. You will be hiking up and down hill on uneven terrain. On the zipline you are expected to be able to lift your own body weight to get on and off of the lines.

Tour company told us to wear water shoes all day. Do not do this. Rocky uneven ground means you will need good trainers . At the spa you go bare foot so never needed water shoes.

Make sure you bring lots of water with you. I was super dehydrated through the day from the heat combined with lots of physical activity. You do get a fruit juice with lunch but then no drink options until the spa at the end of the day. I brought water with me but run out by the horse ride because of how dehydrated I was.

1  Thank SophieDewing
aocampo, Director General at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

A warm greeting from Buena Vista Lodge!

We wish to express our deepest gratitude for your choice of our Eco Lodge & Adventure as your host on your recent visit.

We value and appreciate you share your experiences on Tripadvisor, about our activities, customer service and all the wonders that surround this adventure destination that involves relaxation, culture, education and wellness in the foothills of the volcano Rincón de la Vieja, Guanacaste, Costa Rica .

We are very happy to know that your visit was satisfactory. We will share your appreciation as feedback and motivation of our team, to continue improving with new tools that allow us to reach, the path of success and happiness of our customers.

We hope to be your hosts, again in the near future. We thank you, your choice in our tourist destination and we provide our email address; concierge©buenavistalodgecr.com Or aocampo©buenavistalodgecr.com to attend your kind queries and reservations.

All reviews
"coffee tasting"
in 4 reviews
"mega tour"

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

I was on a mission to find some lovely Hot Springs in the area on my healing journey. The facility was beautiful! However I was gravely disappointed by the water in the pools. I don’t think there was any trace of minerals in the pools and honestly they looked like chlorinated highly filtered swimming pools that I can swim in back in the United States. There was absolutely no hint of sulfur or minerals and I just think that’s a disappointment.

I was able to visit a nearby facility immediately afterwards and was much more impressed by the quality of the healing waters. Again the architecture was brilliant but the actual product was lacking.

aocampo, Director General at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Dear Croar,

Greetings from Buena Vista Lodge!

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay at our Eco Lodge, which did not develop positively. We value all the comments of our clients very seriously and we are constantly improving in our services, as well as in our activities.

We share the appreciations and experiences, as feedback and responsibility of the departments, to continue improving in new products that allow us to reach, the path of success and the happiness of our visitors.

We hope to be your hosts, again in the near future. We thank you, your choice in our tourist destination and we provide our email address to aocampo © buenavistalodgecr.com or concierge © buenavistalodgecr.com, It will be a pleasure to offer you a warm welcome and attend to your kind concerns, just as you deserve it !

Best regards!!!

Sincerely!

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We booked a one day trip through our hotel to buena vista. The tour guide Cero was wonderful. Learned a lot about history of Costa Rica during the drive there. Great zip line, water slide, very good food, coffee is great, horse back riding and then hot springs. Price is very very reasonable. Please remember to tip your tour guide and people who work there. Very nice welcoming environment. You do so much during the visit. Highly recommend. Oh.. they also take lots of pictures for only $40. Per family. Great memories..

aocampo, Director General at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear: Sousoucat

A warm greeting from Buena Vista Lodge!

We value and appreciate you share your experiences on Tripadvisor, about our activities, customer service and all the wonders that surround this adventure destination that involves relaxation, culture, education and wellness in the foothills of the volcano Rincón de la Vieja, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

The views were amazing to start, then we took a horse back ride to hot springs where we got to take a mud bath and use the sauna... next we got to do a cultural tour and enjoyed the best little snack and coffee. Our tour guide Lenin was the best and made sure we didn't miss out on anything. Next, we did the crazy water slide and Lenin even convinced me to do it when I was nervous. I don't regret it one bit! So fun and saw an adorable coat while walking up to the slide. We then had a yummy lunch. Next, daughter and her dad did the zip line and loved it! My daughter is only 9, so brave, I bailed on that but got to do the hanging bridges and learned more about the area and Costa Rica from our guide.

We really enjoyed our time at Buena Vista and I would truly urge anyone in the area to check this place out.

aocampo, Director General at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Hello Dear Kristine,

Greetings from Buena Vista Lodge!

We value and appreciate you share your experiences on Tripadvisor, about our activities, customer service and all the wonders surrounding this adventure destination that involves relaxation, culture, education and wellness around the volcano Rincón de la Vieja, Guanacaste, Costa Rica .

We are very happy to know that your visit has developed normally and satisfactorily. We will share your appreciations as feedback and motivation of our team, to continue improving with new tools that trace us, the path of success, happiness and satisfaction of our customers.

We hope to be your hosts, again in the near future. We thank you, your choice in our tourist destination and we give our email address to aocampo © buenavistalodgecr.com or concierge © buenavistalodgecr.com, to attend your kind inquires and reservations.

Best regards!