“Surprisingly bland food”
Review of Rangoon Ruby

Rangoon Ruby
Reserve with OpenTable
Rangoon Ruby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 194 Restaurants in Burlingame
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Description: With accomplished chefs proficient in all of the specialties that make Asian-Burmese cuisine sought after by food aficionados, Rangoon Ruby is fast striking a chord with diners looking for a fresh, modern approach to one of Asia's most popular cuisines. Influenced by Indian, Thai and Chinese cooking, our authentic Burmese menu is complemented by an exquisite bar with signature Tiki cocktails including our eponymous Rangoon Ruby (a must try, for all first timers!). Rangoon Ruby goes the extra mile to bring you the ultimate dining experience. From our warm service staff to an extensive menu of outstanding dishes, our artfully designed interior and upscale ambiance, we provide the luxuries of dining in comfort and in style.
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Stopped in here for dinner and to try Burmese food. I had fried tofu for starter which was a huge portion easily big enough for 2-3 people and was some of the lightest tofu I have ever tasted.
I followed this with a chicken and pumpkin stew and was asked how spicy I wanted it. I opted for medium which was a mistake as it was extremely bland. You live and learn.
The place has tables and bar seating and a huge TV which, for some reason, was showing a cage fight - a bit of a weird experience.
Overall pleasant enough

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve been planning to go to this restaurant for quite sometimes and finally made it here for lunch.
The dishes that we ordered were hit & miss. The Salt & Pepper Calamari were crispy and tender, the Vegetarian Samosas were crunchy and was served with a special sauce that was quite tasty. However the Garlic Noodles, the Basil Fish Swai and the Fiery Beef Tofu were just ok. Cocktails and the service was good.
If you’re set on eating Burmese food , one store down is another Burmese restaurant (I’m just saying!)

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 5 April 2018

My wife and I don't live in the Bay Area, but we have eaten at Rangoon Ruby's a number of times during visits there (in various locations). This time, we dined at the Burlingame location, and this visit was not in the same league as the prior excellent experiences we had had. We asked for the food to be "medium" on the spicy scale, and we felt every dish lacked spice. Our waiter was friendly, but distracted, and I had to get up twice to get his attention. He was either folding napkins or chatting with the bartender, but it didn't seem he was being as attentive as he should have been.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Always make sure you order the
Tea Leaf Salad

It’s life changing.

Next order the crispy chicken. Make it extra spicy.

Finally try the Sake Sangria.

Take people with you that like to share food so you can try everything.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 14 December 2017

I had not come across this restaurant or indeed the chain. I went there for an early lunch on a Saturday, just as they opened. They were very glad to welcome us. It was just us, but it was great ambiance and to chat to them as we sat at the bar and had a few cocktails ( not all alcoholic) and tried many starters. To be honest, we just shared a main, but going by our experience I have to say that this is going to be my favourite... if and when I go there from Europe

Date of visit: November 2017