Lol.travel
tiffan_steph
Metro Manila, Philippines

Unfriendly staff, dirty bathroom

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Apr 15, 2016
We arrived in Legaspi after a 10-hour bus ride from Manila, took a tric, the tric driver was very friendly and helped me and my 2 friends to look for a place to stay at 4 am in the morning. It was the week before the Palarong Pambansa and most of the hotels and inns were already fully booked. Since we were all tired we settled in this Hotel and I said I will just talk to the person in charge in the morning for everything, just let me take a quick nap since I am sooo tired from the trip so the the guy staff said that he will just forward our charges to the person who will be in charge in the morning. 3 hours after checking in I was having my coffee and a girl approached me and said the check out is 12 pm. I said ok I'll go ahead and talk to them about how long we are going stay and pay. After 15 minutes, my friend said that she was approached again by the staff that we need to pay already this is around 8 am in the morning.
We arrived 4am decided to checked out at 12 pm We pay the whole day PHP 1800 no discount no, no receipt. There were 3 person who booked before us and they provided a lower rate. As a well travelled person, I understand how a 5 Star Hotel and Backpacking Inns works and provides service, this place has nice clean rooms with dirty toilet bowl water and not working electric outlets inside the room. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Date of stay: April 2016
    ₱1,764
    ₱1,870
2.3 km from Hotel Villa Angelina
Free parking
The single room how it looks at day
₱1,251
    ₱1,251
1.9 km from Hotel Villa Angelina
Rm #306
₱1,326
    ₱1,326
2.8 km from Hotel Villa Angelina
Landing stair for relaxing. Good spot for wifi
₱804
    ₱3,618
    ₱2,806
2.9 km from Hotel Villa Angelina
View more hotels in Legazpi
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 29, 2016

We found it difficult to find a hotel in Legazpi City which could accommodate four people in a room and ended up booking this one. Firstly, the location is not ideal - the tricycle rider from the bus station didn't know where it was - it is situated at the end of a very poorly lit little road which raised safety concerns when out at night. It is in Old Albay where there are a handful of places to eat but not much going on. The main issue was the room itself - it was very spartan, not particularly clean and the shower was cold. Our room was on the fourth floor and we had to lug our luggage up a very narrow staircase. The staff didn't bother to clean our room whilst we were there and we had to ask for extra toilet paper when we ran out. It rained when we were there and this leaked into the room, leaving pools of water on the floor. The aircon was pre-historic and the TV was small with poor reception. In terms of other facilities there was no food available at all and the 'free' wifi was simply appalling. I am used to staying in budget hotels across Asia but this simply didn't meet the minimum standards expected - I would have rated as 'Terrible' except for the useful little gym/fitness area and the fact that the hotel manager was very helpful.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank David C
Reviewed January 8, 2016

We booked this hotel last minute after reading the review in the Lonely Planet, which described it as 'homey' and a popular hotel.

Certainly wouldn't describe it as homey! We may have just been unlucky, but the rooms are very spartan (which isn't really a problem) but it wasn't very clean, the toilet didn't flush and the plug sockets didn't work. After a few hours, the lights in the room kept flickering on and off! We asked to change room - and got a similar room, but in that one the sink tap in the bathroom didn't work! We moved to a hotel down the road the next day.

It's a bit of a shame really, as the building had a lot of character and was obviously quite grand in it's day. With a little bit of TLC this could be a fabulous hotel.

The view from the communal balcony of Mt Mayon and the location was great though! And the young man on reception was very helpful.

All in all this hotel is fine for a 1 night stay - but the hotel we stayed in the next night was the same price and much nicer.

Room tip: Didn't see any of the other rooms, so can't really comment.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank Robert C
Reviewed October 23, 2015 via mobile

Visiting the city of legaspi notice a lot of progress like many construction of building in the city such as large malls. But one thing that I notice the villa Angelina hotel also expanded new building annex was been build simple and comfortable to stay beside of good air conditioning, good services and quite at night.well sort of ,cable and wifi is available too.I mean just a straight talk I was not staying in 5 star so I don't expect more.
Below here is the view I can see early in the morning.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank HIMS_12
Reviewed September 10, 2015

everything the hotel is ok. I believe it is a botique hotel. The room has a refrigerator, Airconditioner, and hot/cold shower. But the water stinks and i think it smells like eggs. I believe this is due to the water coming from the volcano and the "sulfur" content. It's not cheap also though

Unique Qualities: we're staying on the 3rd floor. when you checkout the window in the 3rd floor lobby area you have the great view of mount mayon right in front of you

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Jimcheng222
Reviewed August 21, 2015

Was not planning on staying in Legazpi, so this was one of those last minute, same day selections. Was pleased to see that the shuttle van was there to pick me up (though this would be an issue the next day when it was time to leave). Seemed sort of an out of the way place (but then, so do a lot of the hotels in the P.I's.) When you walk in and the first thing you see is that spiral staircase, you know it's one of those, "looks like I'm walking" moments. But then you are met with the simple elegance of the parlor/dining area, with plenty of lounges and chairs for one's comfort. Also, for the coffee drinkers, there is the welcoming aroma of coffee brewing in the coffee maker. Your body immediately goes into relax mode. The room was spartan, but utilitarian. with just enough bare bones amenities to get you through a one night stay. Enjoyed having a nice large window in the room. Many places I've stayed, I've been in windowless rooms. This might have been one time when I wish I had a windowless room, as I had to spend most of the night listening to a karaoke machine playing nearby. The bathroom was clean, and, compared to other budget hotels, quite large. The free wifi was constant.

Had some trouble communicating with the young man at the front desk though. He seemed sullen and a little uncooperative. Perhaps it was the language barrier. Who knows, maybe he just didn't like me.. And the lizards on the wall, and the lizard droppings on the window sill didn't do much to endear me to the hotel either. Nor did the time I went downstairs to the front desk and finding no one, going to the staff lounge/work room, and finding it empty too. Not the most reassuring of moments when you can't find an hotel employee when you need one. And as I mentioned earlier, when it was time to head to the airport, to find that the hotel suddenly didn't have a shuttle van was frustrating. But you get what you pay for, so you roll with it and keep on keeping on.

Room tip: Not sure really. I just lucked out, and happened to get a room with a view
Date of stay: August 2015