“Unorganized, unhelpful and missed parts of the itinerary”

Expediciones Estrella Del Sur Bolivia
Ranked #4 of 48 Tours in Uyuni
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: offers travel and tourism by the part of Chile, Argentina and bolivia direct connections, with over 11 years of work experience. Our values are innovation, experience and honesty. Since our business activity we seek to transmit
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I did the 3 day Uyuni to San Pedro tour. To start with we left 1 hour late because the company wasn't ready - bad start. Our driver decided that we should save time and skip the train cemetery at the beginning of the day, opting instead to do it on the last day. This meant that I couldn't go as I wasn't returning to Uyuni. On the third day we were told to be ready for 4.30am which we were, but eventually ended up waking our driver at 5am, therefore leaving with no breakfast. Breakfast was finally prepared 3 hours later at the hot springs. I was rushed to finish my breakfast within 10 minutes and bundled into a car to take me to the border. I had no time to go into the hot springs which I was disappointed about. Finally, the bus organised to take me from the Chilean border to San Pedro left without me meaning I had to pay US$20 to a random driver to take me instead. When I approached the company of the same name in San Pedro they claimed to be a completely different company and no help or money was returned to me. I would definitely not recommend this company - so unorganized and unhelpful.

All reviews
"salt flats"
in 14 reviews
"horror stories"
in 6 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 4 reviews
"negative reviews"
in 3 reviews
"world white travel"
"answer questions"

Reviewed February 27, 2018 via mobile

We would highly recommend doing the salt flats tour with this company. Our driver, Crispin, was amazing! We had some major floods during our trip and the drivers confronted each difficulty very well, excellent drivers and very safe. We didn't break down at all and our driver was very professional. The food and first night accommodation is basic however we were expecting this so it was not an issue, they gave us a bottle of wine per table each night which was a nice surprise! The stops themselves were all great and nothing was missed. Good price (the same as every other company) and excellent quality.

Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say, that the scenery and the places you visit on this trip are incredible. Some of the best places you will go to in the world and what we saw was amazing. However this would be the same with any your company and so doesn't warrant giving a higher grade.

The food was really good, we are vegetarian and they catered for us well and the meat eaters had really good food too. The Jeep was really reliable and didn't breakdown when other tour companies did! The driver spoke good English which didn't cost extra (something other companies do) and was pretty good at explaining everything!! So far 5/5 but there was 2 things which were massive negatives.

Firstly, the lack of information about altitude sickness. On this trip you go quickly upto 5000m which can be very dangerous, however there was no mention of this from our guide and any information about the symptoms. We have been trekking in Nepal and so recognised the symptoms in another member of the group. When we told the guide, his response was for her to have a cup of tea. You can die from altitude sickness and this is a terrible response from him. Luckily we had some medication and she was ok.

Also, our guide (Miguel) started to hit on a lone young female traveller. At first it seemed innocent. But as it continued it had the feel of sexual harassment and was inappropriate, wanting her to be alone with him in the hot springs. If you are a lone female traveller do not go with this company as you risk this happening to you.

4  Thank shortbreadjr
Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

We made a 3d/2n from SPDA to Uyuni.
The tour was as described on the flyer and we were with Estrella del Sur from the beginning to the end.
The guide (Oscar) was nice.
We were the only table to have wine on the first hostel.
Price was 100000 chilean mesos