Hotels.com
Hotwire.com
All reviewsbloody marythe pubsitting roomfresh milk delivereda hot water bottlelittle touchesfish and chipslovely gardenroast dinnerlambbrowniestayed here for one nightfonthillelsabrambletoiletriesbeetroot
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Having had two spells of staying nearby recently, I have visited the Beckford on three occasions. Ive only eaten once and that was from the nibbles board. On that occasion I had delicious home made fish fingers and a small bowl of very flavoursome soup. Ive visted once just for coffee and to sit comfortably at the big table in the window and on another occasion with new friends just to chat.
I love the ambience of the place, particularly lovely through this dreadful last couple of months weather when I must admit, the chalk board advertising "Fire" only helped to get me to visit.
Staff are welcoming, I agree with another review about the "laidbackness" of the place. There is a lovely sofa lounge though Im not sure if that is just for residents. I have yet to, and intend to, use the formal restaurant soon. On my "favourites" list so far.
My boxes below are ticked for the pub, not the accommodation side of things of which I have no experience.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This is a great, laid back, comfortable “pub with dining & rooms”. The location is superbly rural & the welcome friendly without being fussy. A problem with the room due to unusual weather conditions (snow) was immediately sorted. We remember the food being excellent on our first visit & the standard has been maintained. Nice to see a few unusual starter choices such as brawn & tongue! Also, so sensible to offer a few wines in carafes. Breakfast was first rate.
I whole-heartedly recommend this establishment. The ONLY slight niggle would be noise coming from the bar through to some of the bedrooms for earlier retirers. But it was easily coped with by my partner using earplugs which she does all the time anyway due to my snoring!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2018

I have been going to The Beckford Arms on and off for a couple of years.

We also go regularly to their sister pub/hotel The Talbot.

Both of these places are way above average, normally. The food is usually very good. The staff enthusiastic, young and bright.

Recently however they had a very off night.

At The Beckford we usually ask to eat in the bar as the main restaurant lacks charm and is a bit ordinary to be honest.

When we arrived we were given our favourite table in the large bay window. But this didn't last long as we were moved almost immediately and had to wait at the bar until another table became available.

By this time I had been standing at the bar for 10 minutes waiting to be served. I wasn't in a queue. The barman was obsessing about a problem with the payment terminals and kept ignoring me. At one point he started to take my drinks order but then completely forgot about it and even started drying glasses.

When we finally got a table (and I have to say the waitress was wonderful), I looked at the menu and realised there was almost nothing among the main courses that I wanted to eat.

I could have eaten all the starters. But the 'mains' seemed terribly uninspired.

I ended up, reluctantly, with their fish and chips. The fish was fine. The chips were cold.

The whole place was unusually chaotic because of an internet problem that had disabled their card payment terminals. And we even had to leave our card details at the end so they could put the payment through next day.

There are many things I love about the Talbot/Beckford. The owners clearly have style, and both places have a certain quality that was until recently rare.

However I think they now need to up their game again and take another look at their menus. More and more interesting places are opening up in places like Frome, Bruton and Tisbury and they no longer have a monopoly on things.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2018

Mothering Sunday we stayed overnight and had dinner.
The ensuite room was just perfect with a bath and separate shower!
Comfy bed and a light airy room.
The bar service was speedy and discreet and dinner was lovely Belly Pork as the main with a great bottle Malbec.

The price was also really keen.

Thanks to everyone at the Beckford Arm.

Paul & Mary

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2018

A reliable posh gastro pub usefully situated not too far from the A303.
Popular with local worthies, shooting parties and on the whole good fresh food in a cosy and charming setting. Following a cluster of awards in danger of becoming a little pleased with itself.
Staff a tad unreliable and beware the aloof and condescending manager.
Be warned - the slightest complaint is not well received. Best to book as can be very busy.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple