“Service was a little lacking”
Review of Canyon Star

Canyon Star
Ranked #15 of 20 Restaurants in Tusayan
Price range: US$17 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Both the restaurant and the adjacent saloon at the Grand Hotel in Grand Canyon, Arizona bring that old time southwestern sensibility to life with exposed timber, stone, ironwork and decor that's influenced by the area.The restaurant serves steaks, great barbeque dishes, Southwest-inspired foods and traditional western-themed fare.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We checked in at 645pm and went right in to make a dinner reservation since we were tired & hungry after a 5 hour drive. The hostess said the soonest we could get in would be 715. Only 30 minutes seemed like no big deal (although, the place was empty at the time). We went back at 715 and it still took a bit longer than it should have to be seated (still relatively empty). Our server offered different bottled water selections, then proceeded to forget our order. We asked a 2nd time and it came out. I ordered a beer, and after watching our server walk by over & over, I followed him to the bar. I asked if they were possibly out of the IPA I ordered and he said "no, do you want one?" Then he asked if I'd already ordered it from him and I said I had. Not a big deal, but it seemed to be a theme. 2 of us ordered steaks, and surprisingly weren't asked about or offered a side dish. Other than places that serve large, family style sides, sides are usually part of the price of the steak. We got plates with only steaks, and that worked ok. Just a bit odd. The steaks were very flavorful however. Not a bad place, but hard to rate highly based on the iffy service.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am a local resident that lives and works in the national park. I went out with friends for drinks and a meal. It took the waitress forever to serve us....even after we asked for service multiple times. When we finally did get the waitress to take our order she disappeared. After 45 minutes I decided to go to the bar and see where our drinks were. They had been sitting at the bar for that whole length of time. I told the bartender to cancel our drinks for the waitress that put them in due to the beer being warm and the ice all melted from the cocktail drinks. When the food finally did come out it was cold....and soggy.
It was starting to get comical on how other customers started to gripe loudly due to the really poor service and of course the staff had every excuse under the sun why they couldn't properly serve the 50 people (max) that were in the dining area.
MORAL of this story....walk 2minutes down the street to McDonalds where you will get better food and customer service, because the Grand Hotel dining Canyon Star Steakhouse room SUCKS!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have all had them. Those restaurant experiences that drift south from poor value to unpleasant. When I have one of those experiences, I wonder whether it is an immutable characteristic of the restaurant or simply a bad night. I can't tell for sure, we had a doozy here.

I won't bother you with too many of the details because they are predictable for bad service. But for your amusement, I will give you a quick list of free association impressionistic words and phrases, so you can create your own montage of our dining experience as you search for a different place to dine tonight.

>Grunt and click hunter/gatherer.
>Slow-motion sports movie finale.
>Vengeance is a dish best served cold. Wait, I didn't order Vengeance.
>The thousand yard stare.
>Shouldn't chicken noodle soup have noodles...or chicken?
>I don't make the rules. Those are our procedures.
>David Spade.
>The soup Nazi.
>A variable-rate second mortgage.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

wish I would have listened to the reviews but we were tired after spending the day at the Grand Canyon- we were staying at the hotel so thought this would be a quick eat and then head to bed. Got there at 7:30p on a Wed and dining room was only half full but told we had to wait a half hour. Then waited at our table for a bit- think we finally got our food around 9p. Food was decent but an ala carte menu in the Grand Canyon?!? come on, that's not very family friendly- think they are trying to be more high scale then is necessary.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Brought 7 members of my family here to eat twice during the week we stayed. Overall experience was on par with expectations. Service was fairly quick. Food was above average and good not spectacular. The cowboy musician our second night was really fun. Our waitresses were a bit inexperienced but they were working hard to keep our drinks full and everyone happy. In eating at several other places in town it seems to be similar everywhere. I bet it’s hard to keep people as employees in this area.

I read a lot of the bad reviews and I don’t agree. If you come here expecting a Michelin Star experience you will be very disappointed. I think some people have very high expectations given the attached 3 diamond hotel. This is a very small town with pretty limited services. Tame your expectations and you’ll be fine. The food costs more than you would pay for similar in many places which is why I gave 4 instead of 5 stars but it is matched by any other place in this town’s prices. Not unexpected in a remote place.

If I could review some of the other dinner guests on here I’d give them a 1 star. While I was checking out some guy stopped at the entrance and announced to everyone to “get out while we can due to poor service and poor food”. Who does that? Another gentleman threw a fit about waiting for more than 5 minutes for his check just as waitress arrived with it. I was embarrassed for humanity watching these tantrums.