“Look past the colors and hoopala”

Macayo's Mexican Kitchen
Ranked #48 of 221 Restaurants in Surprise
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located at Bell and Reems Roads, we're one of many Macayo's family owned and locally operated restaurants. Happy Hour: a Macayo's Fiesta 3:30-6:30 Mon-Fri When You're Hungry for Tradition! Hours: mon-thu 11-10 ,fri-sat 11-12, sun 8-10:30 am
Reviewed 29 January 2019

I tire of places with over priced menu items just cause they look fun. Menus that present food items with mouth watering zeal but accordingly to support the paint and do dads decorating the large space budget. Our server was distant and very placid and slow for no good reason. My fiesta salad presented nicely but content was lettuce, a dramatically FEW beans and chicken cubes only a bit on top. For that I paid $13+tax and tip. I will say the cilantro dressing was yummy.

Reviewed 16 January 2019 via mobile

I can’t believe that this restaurant got a rating of anything less than very good. My husband and I were visiting the Phoenix/Surprise AZ area today. The reception staff at the Hampton Inn where we are staying recommended Macayo’s and we went there for dinner. We were greeted by the manager, Michelle, and were seated in a private booth. There were several large parties at the time, but that did not affect the speed or the quality of our service. Our server, Lorena, took the time to explain the menu and recommend some favorites. Since it was our first visit to Macayo’s we received a complimentary appetizer of 3 dips along with the house chips and salsa. They were all tasty! My husband ordered the Baja Chicken Chimichanga and he was impressed with the flavor and the size of the chunks of chicken in the chimi. I ordered a chicken taco and the shell was very light. I also had a side of refried beans and I usually take a few bites of the beans and leave the rest, but these were so good I finished them off. Both our server Lorena and manager Michelle went way above and beyond in their service and made us feel welcome. They even gave us some suggestions for places to see and things to do during our stay in Arizona. If we get back to Surprise, we will definitely plan to return to Macayo’s. Delicious!

Reviewed 5 January 2019

Macayo's is a nice locally owned chain. While you would not call it one of those super local mom and pop places - the food is always good. It's served hot and employees are friendly. There is no real specialty dish, just all the traditional Mexican items you would expect to find. Liquor prices are normal. The bargain is in the lunch specials they offer. Also in the evening (if you qualify) they have a 20% senior discount card)

Reviewed 6 November 2018

Service was poor. Our food tasted like it had sat in a steamer bottom of the burritos were wet and tasted like flour and water. We had the baja burro. White sauce had no flavor at all. I even talked to like the kitchen manager and it was no big deal.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Solid choice for Mexican fare. Enchiladas, tacos, rice, beans all good. Complementary chips and salsa are fresh and tasty. My wife loves the green corn tamales. They have a sweet taste, a la sweet corn cake at Chevy's Gresh Mex.
Service is usually good, too. If you are 55+, you can request a senior discount - 20 percent off your selection.

Date of visit: September 2018