“Ramen, Sushi & Hot Buns”

OBON Sushi Bar Ramen
Reserve with OpenTable
OBON Sushi Bar Ramen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #504 of 1,339 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Description: Obon is an innovative Japanese restaurant, ramen house, and sushi bar that combines the freshest ingredients possible with modern and traditional methods.
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

While at Scottsdale Quarter Mall on Saturday night, we tried OBON Sushi + Bar + Ramen. It’s known for it’s ramen, sushi, and other Japanese dishes with Korean influences. Includes a bar and patio dining options. Style is nice but casual. They have happy hour discounts on limited items if you’re there early enough. We ordered edamame, ramen, steamed pork buns, bibimbop, and several rolls. Mister T ordered a Japanese soda drink which was entertaining to watch. Food was great and wait staff were very knowledgeable.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

I want to make this very clear for Obon owners, staff and patrons. The recent “Allie” mentions are due to my wife leaving an honest Yelp review back in December 2017 when we had lunch at Obon with some family and our little 1 year old. The experience we had was very poor. The food was just okay (overpriced for what you get in my opinion) and the service was very bad. The waitresses did not seem very friendly or attentive and the wait, both for food and for the final check, were unusually long. Again, this was our honest experience. If others have had a different experience, that’s fine, but ours was not so. A mature, respectable owner would take the constructive criticism as a way to only move up and move on. Most people do not see the whole story here. My wife’s one original review was nothing horrible or of the level of an “elite Yelper”, merely an honest, sincere feedback of our poor experience.

Since that time, the level of harassment and abuse, specifically from owner Brandon, that has ensued has now reached the point to where we need to contact the police. Actual threats have been made by owners (yes, owners) and acquaintances of the group that aren’t okay. To the general public, people named “Allie” now get 20% off their whole order but behind the scenes threats and extreme verbal abuse are being used to demean a customer with intent to drum up more business. I am a business owner myself and understand the damage a negative review can cause a business, however, the ethical and proper way to handle a negative review, even if you feel it’s untrue, is to acknowledge the fault (everyone should be entitled to their opinion), defend politely and respectfully, and move on. This owner Brandon, and fellow colleagues, have called my wife an a**hole, c**t and a myriad of other excessively abusive and horribly slanderous terms and have further threatened her actual safety; all stemming from one sincere and honestly, mildly-negative, review.

Though I do not condone all of the back-and-forth that has ensued since the first review, I am appalled that another human being, especially an owner, feels it’s okay to call a paying customer (or anyone for that matter) such horrific names, belittle them to such an excessive point and threaten them with, “I still have your credit card info and know where you live…” (that was truly a comment by owner Brandon to my wife). Threats like that would probably make you want to close down a business too; hence one of my wife’s later comments - not the original post. I would surmise that most everyone viewing this post has a wife, mother or daughter in their lives; how would you feel if one honest review was posted months ago by your mother or significant other and a recent reply from the business owner contained threats to their safety, wellbeing and treated them like common trash?

I’m not out to close down the business or anything of that nature but strongly feel management needs to take a deeper look into the way they treat their customers and handle customer complaints. I would only ask that anyone reading this post treat people with a little more respect than this Brandon has demonstrated. Being a business owner is very hard work and I respect anyone who can maintain a business, but calling any customer such horrible names, treating someone with such disrespect and especially threatening a customer’s safety because you have their personal information, should never be okay for any reason. I would not support a place where threats and such name-calling to customers are acceptable behavior, simply from receiving a less than desirable review online.

2  Thank Jason L
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Ordered 3 sushi rolls. All were spicy. It would be nice if flavors were a little more developed. Small rolls for price. Miso soup was too salty! Overall just average. Nothing special.

1  Thank peroxidequeen
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

This was an awesome spontaneous find. We are not from Scottsdale and came to have coffee at Press bc of the reviews. After parking, we rounded the corner to find Obon and an outdoor bar. The service was great and the food, exceptional. The papaya salad and edamame are great apps. We both ordered the Rainbow Poke bowl with half rice, half salad. Amazingly delicious and a large portion of food. The restaurant originated in Tucson which thrills me since we vacation there every year. The signature cocktails are equally as delicious. You must visit if you enjoy sushi and I'm sure the ramen is great. We'll return to try it ourselves for sure.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Nice atmosphere. Very tasty dishes - Japanese style. Although limited in no pork/meat Ramen - the vegi one is delicious. A bit expensive if you are starving... I WILL COME BACK.