See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 12 October 2017

This hotel is just fine. I experienced no major problems. Yeah, it’s basic, but my room on the 6th floor was definitely ok. Clean enough, clean sheets on the bed, and not a hint of cigarette (or any other bad) smell in my room. And I’m super sensitive to that because I really hate smoking. No smokers on my floor either.

Yes, it is basic. Just white, cement walls. No decoration or paintings. No closet or wardrobe for clothes, no hooks or shelves in the bathroom, etc. But no major problems. And it did have a desk, two night tables by the bed, plentiful electrical outlets, and a surprising array of channels on the TV—BBC, CNN, movie channels, channels that run episodes of popular American TV series, etc., which is more than a lot of hotels can say—and more than any of the Air BNB places I’ve stayed at in any country can say. It’s like any basic backpacker hotel in SE Asia, except that this one doesn’t cater to backpackers as it is, at around USD 30/night, a bit above the usual backpacker budget (and a bit overpriced, I have to say—should be maybe around USD 20).

The staff was helpful as well, taking care of a couple maintenance problems immediately (remote controls that didn’t work and a lightbulb out in the bathroom).

The nicest surprise was that the restaurant food that I tried was actually pretty darn good (and I’ve become kind of a connoisseur of Filipino food over the last year and a half or so).

Of course I wasn’t wowed. But grossed out I certainly was not. I might even stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Anyone who has travelled cheaply in Asia will find this place quite acceptable.
Short taxi ride from the airport (Do not pay over 100 pesos! You have to negotiate with the taxi driver).
Smoking is allowed in the Rooms! Heaven! None of this having to go outside rubbish!The door lock worked and had a bolt on the inside too. Towels were provided and were clean. The bathroom was old (like they usually are in Asian budget hotels), but there was heaps of hot water. Loo didnt have a seat though.
Telly didn't work, bit we weren't bothered - besides, l am sure they would have done something if we had bothered to ask.
Beds were a bit hard - just a thinnish piece of foam - but the sheets were lovely and clean. No spare blankets (hubby likes the air con COLD!), but again, l am sure l would have got one if l had asked.
We got the twin room for about AU$40 Australian FOR THE ROOM, and each had a double bed to sprawl out in. We could have got 4 people in there at approx AU$10 each. Breakfast is included, but l didn't have it, so l don't know what.
There was a phone in the room and the aircon worked fine. Didn't have a window though. Didn't see any cockroaches either, but did see a couple of friendly pussycats, who enjoyed a pat. (Missing my own).
Friendly staff, free wifi (but take your own adaptor plug), easy to get a taxi to the airport the next day.
I just read this is in the middle of the red light district! This explains why hubby had lots of girls ask him if he wanted a girl for the night, when he went round the corner to the 7/11. Hahaha
Only thing hubby didn't like too much was that there was no real coffee served - just pre-mixed packet stuff. OK for me, but he doesn't take sugar.
Highly recommended for backpackers and budget travelers - you could do a week in Manila and only pay AU$280 total, for 2 of you in that room. Bargain!
Me - l would stay there again.
If you are a namby pamby wimp about a bit of age, dirt or noise though, stay somewhere else! Try the Hilton... lt's 4x the price, but its modern and the Telly will work - maybe.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2017

My ex and I attended a convention in the Mall of Asia area and I was not able to properly plan our accommodation so we ended up hailing a cab and asked the driver to recommend a place to stay. Thinking that we were just some kids looking to relieve an itch he even had the nerve to recommend us to a motel. But then anyway he led us to this place.

We were very tired that time and then seeing the reception area I immediately thought that the place is too old and not properly maintained.

Price was also shocking at P2,000. I think this hotel has a scheme that taxi drivers get a cut (some sort of commission) when they recommend this place to a guest (couldn't dare call it a hotel).

Bellboy was accomodating, in all fairness (maybe because I was in a suit, or he was ogling at my ex). But when we arrived at the room we were disappointed.

They give you a manual key. Not the keycards but the small metal one usually on doors. That alone is a sign that there are more disappointing events to happen.

Then we have the room. The TV was an old tube TV (as in those 90's TV, anf an antenna to match).

Bathroom: tiles very mildewy, faucet rusty, also small, no towels,

if i remember it correctly there are also no phones in there.

We had a shower, had a good one (maybe two) and slept.

Didn't bother much after that. Breakfast was ok (or at least it was because we were darn hungry after what happened that night).

Most probably will never come again here. Even for a quick do.

Room Tip: do not go here
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2017

We arrived in Manila from a tour and needed to take a flight to Bohol the next morning. Someone I met from my out of town tour mentioned this hotel, she said she's a friend of the owner. The hotel reception was nice but the room boy seems like he hates his job. He can't even afford to smile. The room was old, bed sheets are worn and stained, rusty bathroom faucets, disgusting tiles, disgustingly dirty!!! Breakfast was free but who wants to eat their food if you have the picture of the room and bathroom in your head? We checked out early, couldn't wait to leave that place. They have the guts to charge 2,400 pesos a night!! This hotel doesn't deserve a star!

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank splad126
Reviewed 10 January 2017

First off, a typhoon changed my travel plans. Instead of going from Cagayan to Oro to Nanchang in one day, I needed three! So I had to stay overnight in Manila (something to avoid if at all possible) and again in Guangzhou. I had to find a last minute hotel, and ignored the information desk's advice, and sought out the "Hotel Lounge". What a scam! They sell you cheap hotel rooms at higher rates. Then they try to sell you a taxi ride on top of that, telling you that it's only US$10. That's ok if you have US dollars and can afford US$10, but for non-American travellers, it's a bit of a slap in the face.

I finally go to this hotel, which is decorated and furnished as if it has not changed for 50 years. Even the TV in the room is a tiny "portable" TV from a bygone era! The bed sagged as soon as I sat on it, and the bed linens were thin. I don't know what they use to clean the sheets, but my legs started to itch as soon as I got into bed.

The bathroom is also old. The toilet sits low, but the level of water is high, so a warning to the men: hold your bits up out of the water, or you will get an extra wash.

Towels are supposedly supplied, but they forgot, and I had none. I had to ask. Bottled water is NOT supplied, so you have to go out to the 7-11 two doors down for water. Otherwise you will pay exorbitant rates for bottled water from the maid on the floor.

Supposedly there is a shuttle to the airport, but the driver asked for an extra fee to cover a toll, which in hindsight was not needed, but I paid, only to notice on the toll road sign that the toll was half what he charged me. I told him that was his tip.

In short, don't stay overnight in Manila if you can avoid it. The Filipinos I know try to avoid it. But if you must stay overnight in Manila, then avoid this place, and avoid the "Hotel Lounge".

Oh, and the Crosswinds Ocean Hotel isn't anywhere near any ocean.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Stay someplace else
  • Stayed: December 2016, traveled solo