“Ill treatment of customer”
Review of Arcade Cafe

Arcade Cafe
Ranked #562 of 1,297 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

I have never been so ill treated or discriminated ever. I left Arcade to go with a friend to the shop and when coming back we were told to start a line the venue was full, the line started in a corner were not even the entrance security or anyone in the venue could see you. We stood in the line of which we were the only two people. The manager then let more than 20 other people in not telling any of them there is a line and when i questioned it, i wad told "Didn't i tell you to stand in the line". I felt really disrespeted by this supposed management team.

My Girlfriend and group of friends were inside and i had a full drink that i ordered just before i left which i couldnt even finish cause the manager decided it was in his right to treat me in the horrible manner that he did.

I would recommend that that guy needs to be thought people skills.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 17 December 2017

Dear Hello Peter - Team

I´ve always hoped I would never have to take this step to report an incident on social media but what happened yesterday at your club must be spread amongst as many people as possible.

Yesterday I was to meet my boyfriend at about 10pm at your establishment. My boyfriend is black. It shouldn´t be necessary to mention this, however, is this story it plays a huge role.

I was about 30 minutes late. In this time my boyfriend was waiting outside your club standing on the island across from your club. He could see numerous people walking into the club problem-free.

When I finally arrived and got out of the Uber I wanted to enter the club to see if my boyfriend was inside. The bouncer let me in, smiling, when I saw my boyfriend wasn´t there. I turned around and could see him standing across the road. I walked towards him, we greeted each other and proceeded towards the entrance. Again the bouncer wanted to let me in but suddenly, when he saw my boyfriend walking behind me, he suddenly asked for our IDs. We asked why we suddenly had to show our IDs and the only thing he said was: “Sorry, but we need an ID and Copies won't do”. My boyfriend confronted him with the fact that he was standing outside watching Uber after Uber of (white) people entering the club without showing their IDs.

I'm almost 30 by the way and my boyfriend in his mid thirties. I'm sure we didn´t look under aged to the bouncers.

We spent our evening at a different Bar, but I couldn´t stop thinking and talking about what had just happened. It literally brought me to tears to see someone you love have to go through things like this in 2017.

Before going home, my boyfriend suggested that I go back to your club and he would stay down the road just to see if they Would let me in and like clock work they did let me in without asking for my ID.

What we experienced yesterday didn´t just mess up our whole weekend, it made me realize how messed up this world and its people still are.

Things like that must not happen any longer, especially in a country with that kind of history South Africa has.
P.S neither My boy friend and I are from Africa.

I usually party at your establishment with my girls (white people) and we have never been asked to show our IDs and I have a bad taste in my mouth about coming there now. I'll also spread the word to my friends more to come there or to support and established that supports discrimination. The funny thing is this isn't the first time I'm hearing of something like this happening at your establishment. Since others in the pass have kept quite about it, I'll be the first to put it out there.

I know what happened is probably not directly the owner´s fault, however, it´s him who needs to make sure that people are being hired who are intelligent enough to know that you don´t deny somebody access to a club because of their skin color.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Lana H
Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

Came here for a drink. It was at 4-5pm I think so not much people. Drinks were great and so was service.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Visited Cape Town on my recent holiday tour to South Africa. Was suggested many clubs on the Long Street as it is full of them. But fortunately our taxi driver took us to long street via Arcade Cafe. It was already queuing on a Friday night. We decided to come back to Arcade if Long Street bars are not special. And to our surprise we were forced to return to Arcade walking. It had a fairly young crowd mostly 15-25 age. Great Hip Hop & Dance music. Drinks were also great. We tried Bacardi with coke mix. It was just like LIT & the best thing was that it has no cover charge and was very reasonable too. Would recommend everyone to give it a try on tour next trip to Cape Town. It is very safe to be there. Super party experience with super environment. We enjoyed so much that we repeated on Saturday night too with even better experience.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 8 April 2017

Only been once, but will go back for the late-night vibe. Really really full with all the beautiful people dancing. Liked the professional management of security and crowd-control - felt they were mature and protecting the patrons

Date of visit: April 2017