“Wonderful Eating Experience”

The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 1,288 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$30 - US$33
Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Africa Café offers a multi-cultural dining experience. Since 1992, chef Portia has been creating food infused with African soul and passion. Experience an exotic tapestry of flavours that will take you on a journey from North to South. Housed in an historic national monument, the restaurant is divided over 3 levels and 7 richly decorated dining rooms.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Recently my wife and I with 6 other friends visited Cape Town. One evening we went to The African Café for dinner. This was an experience we will never forget. To start with the service was outstanding. We were promptly seated and a server came to our table promptly. She explained the menu to us: the menu was printed on a light vase (yes a vase table lamp). There were about 15 items on the menu from all parts of Africa. The server gave us small portion of each item as starters, just imagine fifteen starters. We ample time to taste each serving. Then we had the choice of ordering any one, two, or all items depending on what we liked. Since we had eaten a whole bunch of food we could not eat anymore, except of course, the desert. The food was exotic, crocodile meat stew, grilled springbok, dal, grilled fish and so on. Finally, the servers of the restaurant presented a song and dance recital for all the guests. I will definitely go back to The African Café if I am ever in Cape Town. Oh by the way they also serve very good wine

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Beautiful place, extremely modern. The food is an explosion of flavors. I really loved the experience.

Reviewed 26 August 2018

I first dined at the Africa Cafe twenty years ago as a foreign student in South Africa and was thrilled to discover on my first trip back that the restaurant has survived (and thrived). For a set price, you get to sample over a dozen dishes from different parts of Africa (I think there were 16 in all, including dessert). We enjoyed every dish and were only disappointed that we didn’t have room in our stomachs to ask for seconds because there were many favourites - the butternut squash, the calamari, the cassava bread. For those reviewers who have said the food is too spicy, I’m quite surprised. My husband and I don’t care for overly spicy food and we found the curries to be flavourful and not too hot. There were also several dishes that were very mild, so the meal should appeal to most palates. All in all a wonderful meal and we really enjoyed the extras like the face painting, the singing by the wait staff and the colourful decor.

Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

This place is just a highlight!! The variety and the taste of local dishes are amazing! The musical insert from the waiters are a nice entertainment. We can highly recommend this restaurant and we will come back - for sure.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Fits the bill for a quality pan-African dining experience. We had a very friendly waitress and the communal menu was a feast...we could not finish it all! Springbok curry, Liberian vegetables in coconut sauce, and the fat cakes were the winners on our table.