Horizon Horseback Adventures Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Waterberg
See available hotels
Legend Golf and Safari Resort(Entabeni Game Reserve)
  • Pool
Euphoria Golf Estate & Hydro(Modimolle (Nylstroom))
  • Breakfast included
Nedile Lodge(Welgevonden Game Reserve)
Zulu Camp(Vaalwater)
  • Breakfast included
Camp Ndlovu(Welgevonden Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Shangri-La Country Hotel & Spa(Modimolle (Nylstroom))
Mokopane Lodge(Mokopane)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewscamp davidsonwestern gameshorse ridingmorning ridesandy trackslong cantersholiday of a lifetimecross countrysecond to nonean experienced riderbeautiful countryperfect combinationplay polomagical placegame rideslong rideopen plains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a wonderful time we had at Horizon with Laura, Shane, Kirsty and the rest of the team. We were travelling as a group of 9 riders and we all thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. We stayed 3 nights at the tented camp and 3 nights at the lodge and I can recommend this format. The accomodation was stylish and comfortable, the food really delicious, but the riding is what makes Horizon special. The horses are perfectly matched to the rider level and the scenary is beautful. Great canter tracks and even the opportunity for a full gallop if you are up to it. There are plenty of activities, we played polocross, swam with the horses and went on a game drive to a nearby game reserve. A special thank you to our guide, Shingy!

Room Tip: The Lakeside rondawel is good for those wishing for a quieter room.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

Just got back from a week at Horizon staying at Camp Davison and the Lodge. The horses and riding were amazing - although sore in places. But what makes this place really special is the people. Laura, Shane and Kirsty in particular combine efficiency with a genuine desire to make every guest welcome and to ensure the guest gets as much out of the week as possible.
All the staff - guides, volunteers and catering and transport could not have been more welcoming and helpful.
A fantastic and unique place that is truly special.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed February 19, 2018

I went as a family party of 9. This was the family's first trip to Africa although I have lived there and camped extensively. Definitely an intro for the small children, to a safari experience.

The children ranged from 4 to 15 and with riding abilities from beginner to advanced. This did not phase Horizon.

Horizon could not have looked after us better.

They chose from their herd of 90 horses so everyone felt they had a horse to suit them. A couple of us were nervous riders and they were sensitive to that and kept encouraging these riders whilst respecting their caution on horseback. For the more able riders, the horses were well schooled and plenty of energy. All the horses were responsive, good off the leg but also manageable. You ride on the ranch land with zebra, eland, kudu, warthog, giraffe etc.. No elephant or lion on the ranch so the riding is very safe.

You can be a beginner or advanced and you will have a wonderful time.

The horses were healthy and happy with a max of 20 hours riding a month.

The ranch has a pool and dogs that love to play with the children.

The food was good and there was high tea with cake and biscuits which was a really nice touch.

Everyone there was keen to help us have a great holiday. We came back with absolutely everyone having had a wonderful time.

The best holiday we have ever had as a family.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cottages away from the main house. More secluded.
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2018

We've just come back from a week at Horizon. Our whole family agreed IT WAS THE BEST HOLIDAY WE HAVE EVER HAD. Why? Because it combined a really relaxing atmosphere, good food, lovely weather, stylish accomodation with lots of room for kids to run about, amazing scenery, safari animals and, of course, riding.

We were a party of 9, spanning ages 4 to 53 with a range of riding abilities, a tough group to please. The team at Horizon worked incredibly hard to tailor the riding to suit all of us and to organise outside activities for those who wanted a break from riding - the elephant encounter was brilliant.

Would non riders enjoy it? Yes, as there are lots of other things to do nearby (game drives, zip lining, helicopter etc.). Still, to get the best of out of Horizon, it is probably preferable that you at least want to get on a horse. You don't have to be Grand Prix standard though. It really does cater for all abilities.

Although I have my own pony, when I arrived I was quite nervous about getting on a horse I didn't know and riding out into the wilds of Africa. Cue: nightmare of being bolted with by fiery steed and eaten by a lion. FACT: There are no lions at Horizon. The fiercest animals are curious zebras, impala, kudu and cute warthogs, all of which the horses are completely cool with.
They also have a huge variety of horses (90) so the skill of the Horizon team is in matching rider and equine companion. The horses are incredibly calm and unspooky, as they live as a herd and aren't stabled, a real eye-opener for those of us who are used to jumpy, cranky UK horses.

By the end of the week I was cantering happily across the velt amongst the zebras on the steadiest, loveliest horse I've ever ridden. The scenery is spectacular and nothing can describe the feeling of freedom, riding with mountains on one side and acres of grassy plain all around. It blew not only my mind but that of the teenage boys in our group (usually Xbox addicts) who amazingly didn't moan about the African wi fi (came and went) and are already begging to go back.

I had thought our 4 year-olds might get bored and whine on a long ride (they'd only really sat on a pony for 10 minutes before) but each day they happily walked along on their super-steady ponies (no lead rein!) for over an hour while spotting wildlife (zebra!) and being entertained with Madagascar songs by a team of amazing guides.

Special mention must go to Silas, Jo, Owen, Steve, Irene and Dylan for their calm professionalism and knowledge of animals and flaura and fauna and the kitchen staff for making fantastic food, including a cake every afternoon at 4!

Most of all though I'd like to thank manager Kirsty who is a rare combination of no nonsense good sense, warmth and incredible kindness. She took my daughter out on one-to-one rides to improve her confidence and she was so proud of herself when she trotted. Thank you Kirsty.

We are already booking our next holiday..

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2018

I just returned from a lovely horse-back riding safari spent discovering the Waterberg region of South Africa. Though I had enjoyed two safaris before-one in Tanzania and one in Kenya- being on horse brought an entirely different perspective to my vacation: being able to practically ride up and settle comfortably next to the many zebra, giraffes, antelopes, impalas, kudus, elands, and warthogs we encountered was a dream come true.

The morning and afternoon rides were lovely: while at Camp Davidson, featuring beautiful and comfortable decked canvas tents nestled amongst the grassy ridges, I felt that I was so close to the beautiful animals encountered. In the evening, after a delicious dinner, I enjoyed the view from my tent across the central highlands of the Waterberg massif. Our guides Shingee and Fran were delightful, sharing their experience and expertise, as well as being helpful and kind. The meals were excellent and having vegetarian options was simply wonderful.

Back at the Horizon Horseback Signature Safari lodge, the wonderful adventure continued with various rides and activities such as swimming with our hoses, experiencing polocrosse, and helping young bulls move from their watering area to a small hill. The lodge is lovely, featuring individual cottages and rooms as well as a main cottage in which our evening meals were served. I particularly enjoyed the porch with its comfortable sofas as well as the swimming pool.

From over 85 horses I started my adventure with sweet Baramundi, followed by Tonton and Trapper: all three are sure-footed kind and strong and it was a pleasure to get to know their unique characters.

Vacation with Horizon Horseback was delightful and I can only highly recommend them.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled solo