“Good gnocchi ! ”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

We went there with a friend who is a regular customer. The food was good, everything you expect from Italian food. I had the gnocchi and it was tasty. Service was great.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

We went for dinner and the restaurant was fully booked, they made space for us as we were early. Both our starter of snails and camembert cheese was great, followed by trio of gnocchi and my partner had stuffed pork. We then followed this with sorbet which had great flavours and tiramisu which was very tasty. Was great to visit this old restaurant from my childhood years.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

Recently we read a review in the local newspaper, reviewed by Bianca Coleman, indicating how the steakhouses were rated and which one received top honours, nation-wide.
Well unfortunately, Bianca did not rate the "best steak" in South Africa by far, because it is not a steakhouse, but a restaurant! It is the one and only Italian Restaurant, Mama Roma in Dean Street. Romano, the owner and chef, ages the meat; uses an excellent supplier and has the most unbelievable basting that makes his rump steak an eating sensation! He does it to perfection every time, no matter what your preference - medium rare or medium. I have never had to send his steak back and it always comes at the right temperature.
Thank you Romano & Christine. A wonderful place at which to eat!! Excellent wine & excellent service!

Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

On 29 June we went to Mama Roma for my sister in laws birthday. We recommended this restaurant because my wife an I have had many excellent meals there over the past 6 years. However our last 2 visits left us very disappointed. On our previous visit they apparently ran out of bread but the table opposite us occupied by British cricket supporters had their baskets replenished a number of times. After complaining we eventually received a basket with a few slices.
The service on our last visit was absolutely shocking to the point that we were considering leaving. It took over 35 minutes to place our order. About 30 minutes later we were told that they had run out of calamari tentacles. Meanwhile other guests arrived, were served and left. We eventually received our meal which was good. My brother and his wife were visiting from England and were so looking forward to a good Italian meal. What we got was shocking service. Is this the way to treat loyal local diners?

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

We made a reservation for a Friday evening. The restaurant was full to capacity. Starters were great, as were the desserts, especially the creme brûlée. Pity the lamb shank wasn't cooked earlier so patrons could order it at dinner, time management needed for this one- was originally my first choice. Clearly a family run business, loud and vibey. Waitress was good. Table cloths need to be replaced, they haven't been white for years & look quite old. Overall good food & wine.