Lowest prices for your stay
$219
Free cancellation until 06/02/22
Hotels.com$219
travelup.com$189
Priceline
All reviews italian restaurant banana wind pool bar all inclusive package costa rica pura vida bunk beds beautiful beach jimmy buffet hot springs large pool the wait staff loud music great fun great property beach chairs horseback riding
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2022 via mobile

While none of our issues were a big deal by themselves, they added up to a pretty disappointing experience. When we very first pulled up there wasn’t a single person in sight to help us with our bags or to direct us where to check-in. When we did approach the check-in counter the staff was quite rude. (Which continued through our entire time there.) Once the check-in process was completed (so we thought) we were not offered any assistance with our luggage, or to find our room. The hallways are a bit of a maze if you haven’t seen them before and it took us several trips up and down sets of stairs to figure out the correct secret passage. Our room was nice. It had a nice little patio with a hammock and ceiling fan, but again, the little things added up. The bathtub was SO slippery it was dangerous! I don’t mean to sound like a whimp, but my husband literally help me in and out so I didn’t fall. We only ever had one washcloth in our bathroom. And there was no do not disturb sign for our door, so one day we went back to our room for a siesta and housekeeping was banging on our door every 15 minutes. All the advertisements for this resort stated that guests would have access to beach chairs and umbrellas, however, they never seemed to actually exist. The people at the front desk told us that they didn’t actually have any. The people by the boardwalk told us that they only had chairs and only in the mornings. (Apparently 1:00 in the afternoon is too late to be out on the beach.) One other staff member just pointed us to where we could rent them down the road. The food was pretty disappointing and super slow at both the Banana Winds and the 5 O’clock restaurants. And your guess is as good as mine as far as the hours of any of the places to get food and drinks because not only were the hours on the paperwork from check-in wrong, they were all closed for cleaning at random hours, or only served drinks during certain hours and not food, or even just not open on time. As previously stated, a couple things here and there probably wouldn’t have been a big deal, but all added together with the rude staff was just too much for us to be able to recommend it.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Rosaura Navarro, Owner at Margaritaville Beach Resort Playa Flamingo, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2022

Dear abby4cy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit. We are so sorry that you had inconvinents during your stay. We will work with our team to resolve this issue immediately.

Reviewed January 14, 2022

This hotel has been a very poor experience. We were initially checked into our room an hour late. The room itself had a ground floor patio door that did not lock, was difficult to open, and made the worst nails on a chalkboard sound when opening. We inquired about fixing this and when someone came to look at it, we were told nothing could be done about it and that they were too full to move us to another room. We booked through a travel company so we called them. After the travel company contacted the hotel, two repair people fixed the door in question (which took a major repair. They had it completely off the wall, replaced the lock and squeaky track) and moved our room. The new room was not any better unfortunately. This patio door made the same noise which I took a video of to send to our travel company. Our shower was swarming with mosquitos. In order to get into the shower, it’s a 2+ foot step, and the tub itself is very poor quality. It’s hard to explain but the bottom floor of the shower moves, makes lots of noises, and just isn’t good. There is no railing or support bar to get out of the shower , so it’s not as easy as you might think. We are young and able bodied and we even found this difficult to do.
The toilet makes an atrocious sound for about a minute after flushing. Also My husband had to hold the toilet seat up to pee. It doesn’t stay up without support.
I read another review about the WiFi and it’s totally accurate. It’s awful/doesn’t work even with the paid plan. Also the TV is antiquated. Most hotels nowadays (then others we have stayed at on our trip to Costa Rica did) have apps built into the TV so you can watch Netflix or whatever. We spend our day doing tours in the morning, activities in the afternoon, then after diner when winding down for bed it’s nice to watch something. This was not possible here on the TV or personal device. If you care about lumpy pillows you will have a problem. I added a picture of the lumps. I cannot get over how this is acceptable.
The food at banana wind is not very good for breakfast/lunch. It’s buffet style which is usually fine, but everything has barely been luke warm. Another review labeled the food as passable which I would say is accurate. If you want anything I’d better than mediocre quality go off resort.
We just have no confidence in this hotel for the remainder of our stay and hate to think about people staying here without a travel company to escalate to because nothing would have been done for us at all. We would switch hotels but everything is booked up so we are unfortunately forced to stay. I don’t see how this place has so many 5 star reviews. We are not difficult or hard to please, we just want amenities that are advertised and the ability to sleep comfortably! but so many simple/easy things are completely lacking here.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Magaret,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments. Your feedback is essential in our effort to improve our service standards. I apologize for the inconvenient you experienced during your stay, I´m sorry you did not enjoyed the upgrade we gave you on the alimentation plan to the all inlcusive plan, we made our best effort changing you to another room and we really wanted you to enjoy a private dinner at the beach that we prepared for you and that you decided not to attend. We really hope you enjoyed the cake we prepared to your brithday... with wich we sing happy birthday at your room door!!
We look forward to hosting your stay once again and be able to meet your expectations and enjoy our resort like so many other guest.

Reviewed January 9, 2022

Traveled to CR December 2021 as a group of four. We had an absolutely superb weather, as it often happens in CR.
Margatitaville Beach Resort offers their guests and all inclusive and breakfast only option, making this hotel a great spot for those who like to explore CR and require short stay options.
The resort is very nice, situated right on an ever nicer beach :)
Playa Flamingo does not disappoint, Long beautiful beach with soft sand. Great for long walks or morning runs.
We really enjoyed this beach.

The resort has 2 restaurants, sports bar, pool bar, spa, gift shop and wedding planning office. The rooms are very clean, updated and nicely decorated in the "beech theme".
Dining:
The Italian restaurant, Jamie is an absolute gem. The food is is delicious, so authentic, fresh wood stove oven pizza and Italian dishes. All this combined with Jamie's service and genuine attention to his guests makes the Italian restaurant a Must Try!
The buffet restaurant, Margorie is your girl, super attentive and always on the go making sure all her guests are taken care of. We enjoyed the food options at the buffet and we had an even better experience when Margorie was helping us.
The snacks at lunch time at the "pool bar"and in the evening at "5 o'clock somewhere" bar were delicious and authentic to the Costa Rica cuisine.

The resort is situated short walk to some restaurants and a shopping mall as well as a short ride to Playa Conchal, Tamarindo and Playa Grande.

We Love Costa Rica and Margaritaville and Playa Flamingo did not disappoint.

Date of stay: December 2021
1  Thank Be24

Dear Be24,
Thank you so much for your great review. We are so pleased to receive your positive feedback and will share it with our entire team. We appreciate your staying with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 7, 2022

Beautiful beach. Everything was super clean and they were serious about covid protocols which made us very comfortable. The wait staff deserves a big shout out for how helpful and personaable they are. The 5 oclock somewhere has delicious food loved the fish tacos and drinks. Banana winds has amazing servers.

Only con is the communication at the front desk. I wanted to go to tamarindo for a day to take a surf lesson and I thought it would be easy to set up a car to come and drop me off and pick me up. I talked to the front desk they said it would be no problem and that I could charge the car to my room. All I needed was the specific location I was going to be dropped off so they could tell the driver. Once I got that information I returned to the front desk to give it to them. Only to be told they didn't need that info and I would just tell the driver when he came to pick me up. The next day when I went down a little before the pick up time and when we spoke to the front desk they asked us the same questions(when did we want to be picked up where were we going?) This is when we realized the car had never been ordered. If they had just told us to come down ahead of time day of for them to call a car we wouldn't have cared, but we thought the car was going to be there. When the car finally did arrive he didnt know that we had wanted to charge it our room and had to go back to the front desk to deal with that. I chalked all this up to a fluke or some sort of miscommunication.
However, after a great day in tamarindo I return to the pick up location a few minutes before the scheduled pick up time. I'm waiting 15 minutes and still no car so I decide to call the hotel. They say they will call the driver and call me back. After 10 minutes I don't hear from them so I call them again and a different person answers and puts me on hold for a minute. She says I wasn't there at my pick up time so the driver left. They did organize for a van to come pick us up 40 minutes later, but I was very frustrated that after I called they knew that the driver had left wasn't coming back and we were standing on the side of the road with no way back to playa flamingo waiting for their call and they made no effort to contact us.
All the tourism Van's look the same. There wasnt any sign in the window or anything to distinguish it from the others. Turned out it was different driver who was parked in a different location so we really had no way of recognizing him or he us. I can understand that but didnt appreciate it being insinuated I wasn't where I was supposed to be on time.

I had previously chalked up the many mix ups we had and the negative interactions we had with people at the front desk who treated you like a chore to a busy week, it was New Years, but after this it was hard not to see it as a larger issue.

The beach here is beautiful and the water is warm with waves and a great sunset. And another shout out to security who helped us with beach chairs every morning.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank travelingheart614
Rosaura Navarro, Owner at Margaritaville Beach Resort Playa Flamingo, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2022

Dear Travelingheart614,
Thank you so much for your great review. We are so pleased to receive your positive feedback and will share it with our entire team. . We are so sorry that you had a problem with the transportation we will work with our team to resolve this issues. We are glad you enjoyed the rest of your visit and hope to see you again in the near future.

Guest service

Reviewed January 7, 2022

My husband, 10 year old son, 8 year old daughter and I enjoyed a wonderful week long stay over Christmas at Margaritaville Beach Resort Playa Flamingo! December falls during the dry season, and every day we had beautiful weather. There were iguanas and racoons on the property that provided entertainment for our animal loving family (be careful of the Grackle birds at night as they congregate in the palm trees and can poop on the pool chairs below!). They are wild animals, so we enjoyed them from afar. We upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was better than the original bedroom with the two bunk beds I think. Our room had a wrap around balcony, and the sunsets were beautiful! The pool was great, as was the G wearo drink (I know that I'm spelling that wrong) that Manuel made us every day at the pool bar (delicious if you like rum, citrus and Fresca). The beach and the waves were so much fun! It is a public beach so there are people selling things, but definitely not pushy at all. We bought the Abbott test kits for the COVID rapid before we left, and that option was cheaper than going through the hotel, but they do offer COVID testing there as well. If you do opt to bring your own test kit, upgrade your WiFi for the day, and bring extra kits. The staff at Margaritaville are all VERY COVID cautious which I appreciated. Masks were required when walking around the restaurants, but not at the table. Masks were not required by the pool, but were required by the pool bar when ordering.

Date of stay: December 2021
3  Thank Sunshne43

Dear Sunshe43,
Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff. We are very glad to know you were pleased with your overall stay. We look forward to hosting your stay once again and continuing to meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you if you have any questions or concerns.