“Fun outing”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$73.70*
and up
Half-Day Sawailau Cave Tour from the Yasawa...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Our group of four friends (two couples) enjoyed this short trip from Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. We managed to end up going in the afternoon which was good because it was less crowded, I imagine it'd be much less enjoyable if the cave is crowded. The boat trip over was a lot of fun as you got to see a lot of little villages etc.

Most of my group aren't 'water babies' so found the cave trip fun and exciting. I, personally, have done a fair amount of travel and water activities (am a diver etc), so while I enjoyed the cave it wasn't anything (imo) to write home about and I wouldn't go back. For me it a was a great break from the monotony of being stuck on an 'all inclusive' island for 3 days.

There is a second cave that you dive down and swim to get into, I enjoyed this part as it made the trip a bit more exciting and worthwhile. There are people on either end of the tunnel you swim through to guide you/make sure u don't come up to early. Its a very short swim (5-10seconds).

Overall its a good activity to break up your time at the resort and would suit most people including children (assuming they can swim/have a life vest).

1  Thank TravelAddict027
in 2 reviews
"nabua lodge"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Just the boat trip to the Sawa-I-Lau caves was a great experience as you get to see villages, school and wonderful scenery on the way. I was glad that our resort went early as it can get busy. The money made from the cave swim goes back into the local schools and villages. I really enjoyed and found swimming in the cave really interesting and the water is a mixture of fresh and salt so not so bad on the old eyes. I really enjoyed going through to the second cave which is dark and you do have to swim down and under a small rock area to get to. There are also local women selling crafts at the entrance of the caves.

3  Thank owlesey
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

If you are in Yasawa, Fiji a stop at the caves is worth the experience. The locals charge $35 fjd per person (cash only) to enter the cave. This money goes to the village that maintain the caves and pays for schooling, and house and church upkeep in their village. Bring your snorkel, mask and fins. The water is cold compared to the ocean. You will take stairs up into the cave and then down into the cave with a ladder taking you into the water. To get into the second cave you will go under water for a few seconds to see the amazing cave inside. They have a pvc float you can hang onto inside the cave. The cave is home to only two fish-red snapper fish if saltwater and an eel if freshwater is present (we only saw the red fish on our visit). We forgot to watch the Blue Lagoon movie before our trip and the visit didn't trigger any memories.

2  Thank J_Ctravel22
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Great local experience in the only limestone caves of the Yasawa islands. Famous from the movie Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields, but the caves stand out themselves. We took a 25 min boat ride (this boat ride alone was worth the money--spectacular views!) from Blue Lagoon result to the caves. Once we got to the caves, we were asked to leave everything behind (towels, coverups) and enter with what we wanted to swim in and any go-pros or snorkel masks. You have to enter the cave by walking up a set of concrete stairs (maybe 15 or so?). A door leads to another set of stairs but this time going down into the cave--watch your head. The first cave is open at the top so natural light is allowed in. The water is cool but refreshing and a mix of salt and fresh water. If you are not a good swimmer, would recommend a life jacket as the cave waters are deep. To enter the second cave, you need to swim under water, about 8 feet long. It is recommended you wear a mask, so you can open your eyes and see where you are swimming. The guides help guide you one to hold your head down so you dont hit the rock above and the other pulls you through on the other side as you swim to his flashlight. So if you could hold your breath for a few seconds, you will be just fine. Second save is closed, so needs a flashlight to see inside. very cool on the inside and worth swimming under for. Add to your to-do list if visiting the Yasawas!

1  Thank lisamd11
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 January 2018

We visited with excellent guide from Blue Lagoon resort us and two girls 10 and 11. The boat trip from Blue Lagoon is worth it alone for the scenery. The limestone island surrounded by basalt volcano remains otherwise is amazing on its own. You access the cave by a constructed walkway and a fee goes to the local village owners. The first spectacular cave has light from holes in the roof, its deep, but has floating devices to hang onto, the Brook Shields rock also can be stood on. The scary part then is to dive under about a meter across into the next proper cave very dark. Our guide held our heads as we went under to stop us hitting the abutting rock. It's a thrill when you emerge on the other side - need torch here and only do with a guide. The kids made the difference be and are still talking about they loved the whole experience. You will need a dive mask or goggles to dive under, a snorkel is handy as you can see the bottom on the entry cave. We loved it but a bit scary.

1  Thank Des S