Fort Conde Inn
US$189
US$184
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewschef robbiecarriage houseb bthe main houseseafood benedictroyal suitethe cottagesclaw foot tubbreakfast chefbananas foster french toastluxury roombridal partyexecutive chefwithin walking distance to downtownbreakfast was amazingother guestsbed and breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Located off of Theater Street, we really did feel like we were on the set of a movie. The gas lights, gorgeous restored houses and brick street were beautiful. Our room was so nice and we thoroughly enjoyed sitting out on the beautiful covered porch. Delicious breakfast and wonderful service from Chef Robbie. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Spent 1 night here in the Meredith room. Queen bed with all the amenities. Every detail has been taken care of. Even the hair dryer has a retractable cord. The room was filled with beautiful antique furniture and as I stepped inside, classical music was playing. The bed was extremely comfortable, like floating on a cloud. The bathroom offered a jacuzzi tub and shower combination. After a long ay of driving Amanda greeted us with a chilled glass of Chardonnay. What a nice touch. Breakfast was outstanding. First a small dish of fruit accompanied by biscuits and pastry. I selected an 'eggs benedict' style dish. A lightly toasted english muffin, topped with asparagus, then a perfectly poached egg all topped with a scrumptous hollandaise sauce that included shrimp and crawfish. Truly a delight to the palet. I will definitely stay here on my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed overnight in the Chambre de Meredith. It was quite lovely - high ceilings, beautiful furnishings, and luxurious linens. Our room was in the front corner of the inn and decorated in a most soothing palette. There was a beautiful veranda overlooking the neighborhood. A pleasant surprise was the adequate space around the bathroom sink as well as shelves (unusual for B&Bs). The toiletries were special and the tub in this room was jetted. The breakfast was scrumptious! The overall experience is one I would highly recommend.

Reviewed March 17, 2018

Perfect location for walking to restaurants and activities. Loved being in an historic home... beautifully restored and repurposed as a B & B. So enjoyed talking with other guests at breakfast (deliciously prepared!) Lots of warm southern hospitality from all the staff.

Reviewed March 16, 2018

My wife and I went down for two nights. We had a room, Marguerite's Room (No.5) in the main building. It was absolutely delightfully decorated and appointed, with more than most inn's features (including both a tub AND a enclosed shower that was roomy). The bath was the size of the bedroom, and both rooms were very adequate. Ft. Conte is a B&B, so breakfast was served the two mornings we were there. Breakfast is "come when you want to", though I can imagine you might have to wait a bit with full occupancy, however it is great to sit at a mahogany table with a table cloth and chat with the other guests and travelers that are staying there with you. There is one 10 seat table with others available in other ground floor rooms in the Ford-Hall House. Some less gregarious sorts might find this thought a bit off-putting, but I can assure you that my wife and I found our breakfast conversations with the other guests one of the premiere highlights of our trip to Mobile. It's the kind of thing few do any more when they travel, but interaction with others on such an informal--and without conditions chatting--is a life enriching experience. One learns things one would never seek to learn from such interpersonal interactions. Chef Conti presented us with an array of choices, seafood, traditional and, the ever deep South present, high caloric bananas foster pancake route. The bacon was fabulous, and since I am a plain food guy, he fixed me 'plain ol'' scrambled eggs and bacon', proving a suspicion that I have held for some time now, that "fancy chef's can't cook plain food", to be totally erroneous. I am a bit handicapped, but the elevator in the building solved that problem. There is a nice honor bar stocked with beer, wine and the hard stuff in the home'd dining room. I would sum it up by saying that our stay here was delightful. (Oh, let me include something that occurred to me when I saw the location of the Ft. Conte on the map--that it might be noisy due to its close proximity to many expressways and the bay tunnel entrance--my fear was totally without merit--the place was located on a quiet tucked away cobblestone roads, and any noise of traffic is carried up and away by the concrete walls surrounding them.)
I would recommend this accommodation to any who would wish to travel to or through Moblie who would like to abide for a while in elegance and a most friendly environment. The staff, from the owner down to the maids, were all graciously accommodating and even eager to look for what needs you might have before you might ask. The girl on the desk even helped us carry our load of way too many bags up to our room. Ft. Conte is a most excellent place to sojourn, and I would recommend you rush to discover it before it becomes so popular you may find it difficult to obtain accommodations therein, for they are clearly limited. I counted nine rooms in the main building, the Ford-Hall House, and I would estimate probably about twenty to thirty in the other buildings--though I don't really know this number. The guidelines said that I should say what I liked the least about our stay, so I will tell you that it was the horrible Mobile traffic during rush hour going through the city to the west side toward the airport--don't do it! Stay in the hotel and have a glass of wine on the patio-courtyard and relax. All my experiences at the inn met or exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: I can't say that I have anything to say here. Our one room was wonderful.