“Nothing to Write Home About”
Review of Commerce Kitchen

Commerce Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Commerce Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 631 Restaurants in Huntsville
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in Historic Downtown Huntsville, Commerce Kitchen serves Southern Gourmet cuisine in a bluesy bistro setting.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Well this place was a disappointment. I ordered the shrimp and grits because of the reviews and the waitress reccommended it as well. They were bland and I did not enjoy them. I did enjoy the spinach, bacon salad with a fried egg on top. Very tasty and the runny egg was so good. The dessert, chocolate pecan pie was mediocre at best. CK is in a cool place and I went with great expectations and was not impressed at all. And for $115 for just two was high for mediocre.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I’ll start by saying, I was glad to see the last review also mentioned the odd practice of the check being brought out before the last course. I have lived in Huntsville for quite a while and somehow this place just got overlooked. When on a Tuesday night a friend suggested it I was pretty excited to finally get a chance to try it. We walked in and there was a bit of confusion on seating but not a big deal we were seated in the middle of the main dining area. That table should really be removed as it’s very unenjoyoable. The servers can’t help but occasionally get too close. Our server was horrible. He was neglectful and rude. Not only did I have to ask for bread twice and he actually dumped it in front of me he took my friends drink away while she was still drinking it. At the end of our evening when he knew she was ordering a desert to go for her husband he brought the check before she could order it. Weird right? I did ask him if we were keeping him from getting off for the night he said no. I also looked around to see if they were closing trying to see if there was a reason we were being rushed out. There was also no one waiting for tables. He said it was there policy to remove refuse from the table. I’d like to say the food was awesome enough to overlook the horrible service experience and don’t get me wrong it was decent but not good enough to go back. Summary food was good enough, service horrible,atmosphere due to terrible placement of table. I’d give it a solid two. At the end There was a girl who tried to make it better by comping desert and bringing my friend another cocktail which was nice of her. We didn’t see our server again till he dumped the revised check.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband was traveling through and needed some lunch. We stumbled upon this area of Huntsville and was so impressed! We picked the Commerce Kitchen because it wasn't too crowded and we needed a decent meal quickly. We were seated promptly. Our server didn't really discuss any lunch specials so we ordered from the lunch menu. I ordered the Fried Green Tomato BLT which had an amazing sauce. Portion and price was what you'd expect for lunch time. My husband ordered the shrimp and grits. His ordered was missing shrimp and had fish subbed out. Although the dish still tasted delicious we were left wondering if we misread the menu. Our server was busy with a large table that came in after us so we a bit neglected. Let's say she did the bare minimum taking care of us. We also ordered the bread pudding but was confused when our check came out before the dessert made it to our table. Service could have been better but the food was very good.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Friends were in town so I selected CK because we wanted upscale and casual but no Italian or pubs due to dietary preferences in the party. 4 of the 6 ordered steaks and made special requests regarding the sides (veg vs starch) which were accommodated without issue. Everyone enjoyed their steak and were pleased with how it was cooked. One in our group had the Mahi special and while it tasted good, was a little disappointed that it wasn’t hot enough. Friendly service but a few missteps like no bread and noticeable disappointment that 4 of 6 only drank water. Great evening in a good atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The room was nice, if not loud, and the service was the best part; although the fine work of the bartender deserves honorable mention. But the food was barely mediocre. A steak ordered rare came out ice cold. The sweet potato soufflé had the consistency of a brownie. The fried chicken was too dry to eat without smothering it in sauce. Colleagues did have nice things to say about the salmon and the taco appetizer.

This would be a great destination for happy hour with appetizers, but the food did not deserve to be called fine dining.