“Beautiful monument”

Reviewed 11 August 2018

Beautiful monument in the centre of Zrenjanin. Lots of nice patios and shops nearby. Nice place to shop, take a stroll or sit and enjoy a coffee or drink.

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

In the middle of the city you can see this statue. I don't know anything about it and I can't read the kyrillian letters to understand what it says.

Reviewed 21 November 2015

Very nice statue of Peter 1 of Yugoslavia that's located in the center square of Zrenjanin. This is right in front of the city hall and next to the Catholic Church. It's the best possible spot in the city for taking photos.

1  Thank cather76
Reviewed 15 September 2015

This monument was originally built in 1928, but it was destroyed in the beginning of the WW2 (in 1941). More than a half a century later, in 2004, this monument to the first Yugoslavian king was rebuilt. It stands in the centre of the main city square and it instantly became one of the main symbols of Zrenjanin. Because of its position and size, you can't really miss it. All in all, this monument is really beautiful and it is worth seeing.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 September 2014

The central city square in Zrenjanin, where I stand now is linked to many of my important memories.. The causes are personal experiences and great watershed events in the country and the city. Everything that I can remember in this plot has always been "attended" and a monument. As I grew up, it was changed but still standing on the podium of an important public figure! Such is the case with the monument of King Peter I of Yugoslaviain, bronze figure that I look from the balcony of the County building in Zrenjanin. I climbed up there and I reviewed the schedule of all the important buildings that mark the center of the city. And my memories of where I live now.
Before I get off the balcony, which remembers the many and long, close my eyes and repeat out loud the names of important buildings that surround the monument: Museum, Theatre "Tosa Jovanovic" Hotel "Vojvodina, the Reformation Church and the city library. For each binds me by some memories.
Then I Go around the current monument, I'll come over to the theater to pick up tickets for tonight's premiere, will be played Moliere's "Don Juan." I am reminded of the city's history as this is the second monument of Serbian King Peter I of Yugoslavia, which became the ruler of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, which precedes the state of Yugoslavia. The monument was placed there in Freedom Square for the first time, in 1926, and was the work of Zagreb sculptor Rudolf Valdec. German occupation authorities removed him in 1941, and from the destroyed building was preserved only kings head, which is now kept in the National Museum of Zrenjanin. In addition to the Theatre Box Offices meet famous domestic actor Jovan Torački. We're talking about the evening show, which quite modernized this work of Shakespeare.
I'm going out again to the square, there is still the king Petar Liberator. For the second time in history. The sun illuminates it with all sides because it will soon be
noon. It looks impressive and solid. I remember the days when the second time, placed on a pedestal. At this place, where he has been and in 1926.
This figure, which is a replica of the original sculpture, is done by Zoran Jezdimirović, sculptor from Bijeljina. It happened on January 17, 2006, when it was officially discovered it Crown Prince Aleksandar Karadjordjevic, the great-grandson of King Peter. Monument in bronze with a marble pedestal high around 7 meters, of which I am a monument 3.7 meters. Equestrian sculpture is unique in that it is supported on only two legs.
Then, with the Reformation church bell begins to count twelve hours. By centuries-long tradition of the Church, the Church of St. John of Nepomuk, measured the time in this Vojvodina city.
Then I'm going to the hotel "Vojvodina" to drink coffee. For years, I have done it with a few of his friends. As a ritual! We are impressed by the fact that at the same place, then it was a pub, despite being completely changed, it came to drink coffee or tea large Serbian symbolist poet Todor Manojlovic. We look at the square, through the glass wall, and my friend a historian reminds me of that place that now "occupies" King Peter, almost fifty years was a monument Zarko Zrenjanin, the national hero of World War II, according to which today the city is named - Zrenjanin.
This square is hardly changing, even though time passes, the monuments follow history, only the people are always new..

2  Thank TravelerZrenjanin