Ways to Experience Transnistria Tour
from US$214.20
More Info
from US$226.57
More Info
All reviews border crossing day trip interesting visit speaks fluent german great sense of humor perfect english his team via email from start to finish great lunch borscht nice guy off grid fascinating place any questions andrei transfer
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 May 2021 via mobile

Our trip with Transnistria Tour was perfectly organized and very interesting. We were picked up in Chisinau on time and then everything was arranged for us. Our tour guide Andrej showed us around Tiraspol and explained everything very well. He speaks German and English very well and also listened to our wishes and interests during the tour. Thus, we had a great day in the very interesting and well-groomed city of Tiraspol. We highly recommend Andrej and his company for trips to Transnistria!

Date of experience: May 2021
Reviewed 14 July 2020

Though I visited Tiraspol more than 2 years ago, I always wanted to leave a review for this operator, but I only now have the chance. This was one of the best surprises that I had as a tourist in the last couple of years and this operator helped me a bunch!

As I was in Moldavia for almost a month I decided that I will try out the Soviet tour that took us from Tiraspol to Bender and then back to Tiraspol. In contrary to what you might hear, to actually get to Tiraspol from Chisinau is really easy, you simply hop on a bus and in a short while you are already there.

Our guide spoke perfect English and seemed very passionate about the region's rich culture and vibrant heritage. We talked about everything from food to the issues of living in an unrecognized by the global community, yet a very real country. I have to say that it was truly an eye-opener.

On top of it all, we had a great lunch in a local, Ukrainian specific restaurant, that served some delicious and very affordable food.

The tour should have been two and a half hours long, yet we ended up spending more than four hours together, and then we also had the chance to walk around the center of Tiraspol on our own.

All in all, it was a great tour and an awesome guide! If you want to go somewhere truly special, that falls off the usual tourist maps, this is the place to go and the operator to choose.

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank norbertzoltank
Reviewed 10 April 2020

So, I'm a bit late in reviewing this tour, but now with extra time on my hands, here we go. :-)
In short, this was truly one of the best tours I've ever taken....and I've taken lots of tours.
Even before the tour, Andrey was responsive and patient in answering my many questions via email.
The customization of the tour helping to fit best with where I was staying and then departing to, and my own time schedule, was very helpful.
The wealth of knowledge and interesting input from my guide, Andrey was amazing. I was absorbing so much mind-blowing information, that I could feel my brain expanding....and I loved it!
I also enjoyed Andrey's personal input about things and his great sense of humour.
Transnistria is one of the most interesting, surreal places I've been, and I can't recommend it enough to anyone interested in off-the-beaten-path travel, and to make the most of your time and experience in Transnistria the best possible, you must have a tour with Transnistria Tour.
Thanks, Andrey!!!

Date of experience: June 2019
3  Thank VumbaVentures
Andrei S, Manager at Transnistria Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2020

Dear Lynette. Thanks for such warmhearted review))!!

Reviewed 9 March 2020

Got picked up at our hotel in Chisinau and driven to Transnistria where our guide Ekaterina joined. She was very nice and knowledgeable and we thought the tour was really interesting. Tiraspol and Bendery were so interesting and we are so glad we did this tour. For me it is a must to visit Transnistria if you are in Moldova and I really recommend this company.

Date of experience: March 2020
1  Thank Harry844
Reviewed 3 March 2020

Since a previous review caused some conflict with Transnistria Tour, I am now writing this new review to get rid of any misunderstandings!

Me and my friend took a day trip from Tiraspol to the very north of Transnistria. Against our expectations, Andrej picked us up at our apartment, but did not go on the tour with us.

*We didn´t agree on Andrej leading our tour before we came to Tiraspol. We simply assumed that we would go with him. We are German-speaking and Andrej speaks fluent German. However all email communication with him was in English language, meaning there was no point in thinking, we´d have a German-speaking guide with us.

We started our tour and Andrej´s two English-speaking colleagues dropped him off somewhere in Tiraspol and we began our journey to the North. The drive took us 2-3 hours and we spent it with sleeping and some basic facts about Transnistria (the ones you read on Wikipedia). Once we arrived in Camenca we were quite surprised to visit a hospital for rehabilitation.

*The tour plan said we would only visit a park near the hospital. We were inside it, but this is really not a thing to complain about.

We did a quick stop at Dniester riverbank and at the park where our guide listed learnt by heart informations about a few monuments. For some reason we were in a hurry and we had to be very fast before going back to the car.

*Now we know, we were in a hurry because of the early sunset. Still, it bothered us to be stressed.

The tour continued like this and it clearly was a very basic tourist tour (listing random names and dates of random monuments in random places).

*Yes, we should have known in advance, because thats what the tour plan said. Nevertheless it was quite unexciting and really a lot of monuments, but this is only our personal opinion.

We got along well with the guide and the driver, but we didn´t quite seem to break the ice. The driver was a nice guy, but we had the impression that he was rather annoyed by the tour. Additionally our guide obviously did not feel well at times.

*Andrej told me, that I am no psychologist - and he is totally right. However even normal people relise, if someone is annoyed. Be it by listening to their talking, or looking at their body language. We are grateful that he got us back to Tiraspol safely though, since Andrej specially highlighted this fact. A driver being annoyed is no big deal, everybody catches a bad day from time to time, still it influences my thoughts about this tour.

*Of course it was not the guides fault for not feeling well. She can´t do anything about it.

After a lot of stops we went for lunch in an old millhouse. We were impressed by the really good food and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. The tour continued to more monuments and a church, houses of culture, a school (because we asked to see one) and ended in Tiraspol in the evening.

*Concerning the school I want to make it clear, that we agreed with our guide and driver to stop at the school instead of more Lenin monuments, because we had seen tons of them in the past days.

The speed was uncomfortable, as we basically ran out of the car, took some photos, heard some facts and ran back to the car and drove off to a new location.

*Like said before, Andrej explained, that this was because of the early sunset. I totally understand. However he and his team should maybe concider starting tours earlier or planning more time in general.

The tour is probably good if you are interested in random numbers and names like in a museum, but it is not a tour where you get to know Transnistria (You get to know monuments).

*Again, we should have known by the tour plan.

All in all this tour was not great, but also not terrible.

*My previous rating of two points (poor) is probably not justified, which is why I correct it to three points in this review.

As said, the tour was okay, but we would not do it again or recommend it to other visitors. We don´t think it´s worth the 260 Euro it cost. We didn´t have Euros on us so we even paid a bit more, because Andrej uses a higher exchange rate for Moldovan money than the usual exchange offices.

Date of experience: February 2020
2  Thank ChiefPauli
Andrei S, Manager at Transnistria Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2020

Here is the second comment of Transnistria Tour to the review of our guest Paul (submitted on TripAdvisor on 04.03.2020):
First we (Transnistria Tour) would like to thank Paul for his second review: as we see Paul upgraded the rating of our service from “Poor” to “Average”. We think it is a good sign, at least a more objective estimation of our service in comparison with the first rating.
We would like to publish our first comment as well, so the readers could follow the story line from the beginning. Here is the first comment of Transnistria Tour (submitted on TripAdvisor on 29.02.2020):
Hello to all readers of Transnistria Tour´s answer to the review of our guest Paul.
First of all, Paul, thank you for your opinion. We appreciate your time and thoughts you shared with travelers’ community on TripAdvisor.
Secondly, we would like to briefly analyze arguments/impressions of our respected guest Paul and especially the conclusion expressed in the evaluation of our work-as you see Paul evaluated our service with the mark “Poor“.
For us this estimate was a kind of surprise, and we would like to discuss about Pauls arguments delivered in his review. Let us comment on Pauls impressions.
Part 1.
First argument: Paul expected that German speaking guide Andrey was supposed to do the North-South tour.
Our comment to first argument: In our communication Paul and Transnistria Tour agreed on the tour “Form North to South” and it was never mentioned that a particular person had to do the tour in German language. The whole communication was in English and both sides understood each other very well. We were asked by our guests only about the tours availability, other things were not mentioned in the email conversation. Why Paul expected that Andrey was supposed to do the tour in German-remains a mystery to us.

Second argument: Paul was surprised that one of the first places they visited in Camenca, was the sanatorium „Dniester”.
Our comment to the second argument: on the website of transnistria-tour.com every guest (visitor) can find detailed description of the north-south-itinerary and according to the published program of the tour the visit to the sanatorium “Dniester” is a part of that itinerary. We assume this tiny detail might have escaped Pauls attention.

Third argument: the guide was very fast during the tour.
Our comment to the third argument: It was February and we started the tour at agreed time 9 a.m. in order to give time to sleep to our respected guests. We wanted to show according to the tours itinerary a lot interesting places and the guide had the intention to do that before the sunset which happens in this time of the year quite early, so having regard to this circumstance the guide was supposed to act fast. And yes, the tour has to be fast if you want to see Transnistria during one day within 7-8 hours. This is actually the gist of the tour: to show the whole variety of places, monuments, memorials, houses of culture etc. during limited amount of time. It would have been quite difficult to do the whole program if the guide shows you one city or one village within 2-3 hours.

Fourth argument: the guide listed random names, random monuments, random places.
Our comment to the fourth argument: All monuments and places (and connected names) were listed in the detailed description of the tours itinerary on our website, but we assume that these details might have escaped the attention of our respected guests.

Fifth argument: driver was annoyed by the tour.
Our comment to the fifth argument: We think that the driver has to do his job right and drive safely. As we see Paul is in a good condition and could write his review. It implicates that the driver managed successfully the task to drive safely. Security of our guests is the most important thing. Of course Paul shares his personal judgment about the psychological state of drivers mind, but how can we really trust this judgment provided that Paul is not a psychologist with necessary professional expertise in the domain of evaluating others emotions in a correct way. Although we admit that everybody has the right to have his/her own subjective impressions about the feelings of other people.

Part 2.
In this part of our comment we would like to use Pauls quotations in order to show that actually he liked the tour (or was at least content with Transnistria Tours service) and his conclusion/estimate does not correspond with his impressions:
First quotation: “Me and my friend took a day trip from Tiraspol to the very north of Transnistria. We started our journey to the North”.
Comment: it implicates that the service was provided according to our agreement.
Second quotation: We were impressed by the really good food and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere.
Comment: It means that our guest was satisfied with the Transnistria Tours choice in terms of food.
Third quotation: All in all the tour was okay.
No comment.
Fourth quotation: we got along well with the guide and the driver.
Comment: the psychological atmosphere during the tour was good.
Fifth quotation: . The tour continued to more monuments and a church, houses of culture, a school (because we asked to see one)
Comment: the guide and driver showed to our guests even more than it was planned, keenly listening to our guest ’s requests and additional wishes.
Opinion of Transnistria Tour: the guest delivered arguments which gave evidence that the tour was OK (although we see-not perfect for the guest), but estimating the tour and our service with mark “Poor” is based very much on a subjectively emotional judgment whereas objective sides of the provided service are not taken into account from a rational point of view.
Thanks to everybody who has read it till the end.
Respectfully, Transnistria Tour.