“The global cheat”

Ranked #3 of 42 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

It' s our 4th time in Indonesia, and mount batur really discouraged us. The dealing to get a fair price for the trekking (guide compulsory) was a disaster. I am a licensed guide myself, and I understand that hiring a guide enriches the vistit, but...when we went to the "official" tiquet office, they really tried to cheat us with unbelievable fares.. more expensive than doing the same excursion from Ubud (transport, guide, breakfast included) while the only offered us a guide (we didn't need transportation because we already had a motirbike)... besides the threatened us to call the police if we didn't hire a guide. Such a bad experience. We decided not to do the trekking. I' m sure it' s beautiful, but we declined. Thank you official guides association for spoiling my stay at mount Batur.

5  Thank Maria Jesus N
Write a ReviewReviews (2,467)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"head torch"
"bring a jacket"

Reviewed 21 September 2017

It was amazing! The trip to the volcano was an adventure, we will never forget it. Erick told us many backround information of Indonesia an the culture. That was really interesting, thanks for that! After our pick up we met Senegal our volcano guide. He took care of us all the time and we had a lot of fun together. The view on the mountain was amazing, no words can describe that wonderfull experience. After the sunrise and our nice breakfast (prepared for us vegan, just ask for it) we met Erick again. He drived us to the coffee plantation and we tried diffrent coffee and tea. That was also great there, the coconut coffee ist so yummy.

I forgot my sunglasses at the coffee plantation and Ben (another guide) bring it to our homestay. That was really kind, thank you so much Ben!

All in all can I say it's worth it. It was a perfect day, with a perfect group and perfect guides.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Just kick yourself out of the bed and go for it, if you think you are reasonably fit. I was pretty nervous when on a previous day we met a dutch couple and the guy told that the trek is extremely challenging, its more of rock climbing. I actually visualised climbing a rock with the use of gear. Ok, its not. Moreover I was worried to sacrifice my sweet sleep.

We were picked up at 01:30 AM sharp from our hotel in Kuta. With one and half hour drive we reached at the base of mountain, locally known as Kintamani while Batur is the village name. We were surprised to see hordes of tourists gathered at the base to take the trek. Within minutes we started with torch given in our hand. Only two of us and the guide who accompanied. The guide was decent chap , talking to us continuously - probably keeping us awake. The early morning air was crisp and chill. The early part of walk crossed thru tomato, onion fields. The climb got harder within no time. Basically its quite uneven and steep, making us exert. I am moderately active thru out the week. What I could notice is the sand/ dust over there does not carry normal brown colour; but looks more like ash left out after the wild fire. No wonder you are walking thru volcano hit region. My friend slipped twice and hand injury. The guide was quick enough to lend first aid. Around 05:15 we reached the top and immediately secured a perfect seat for sunrise view. There were tonnes of people waiting eagerly for the moment. As we glimpsed down the mountain, we could see serpentine queue holding torch lights making their way to the top. It was damn windy so a good pullover or something to cover your ears is a must. The sunrise view is spectacular so is the batur lake view. After sunrise we visited the crater where you can still see the steam coming out of creavisis!

Walk down is a different route and interesting as it passes thru thick tall greenery. We did tip-off the guide who was good companion for those 5 hours.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

I chose Mt. Batur for its beauty, reputation and calderas. I wasn't disappointed. The trip up from Sanur was rainy and quite miserable but as we turned the corner Mt Batur showed off its full glory. I am so glad I persisted.

My advice would be to persist on the trip to the volcano regardless of the weather. Be patient with the drive; it can be slow going especially during cremation season. The reward is worth the drive.

When you arrive, take your time to enjoy the view. The volcano certainly has a temper which is visible from the lookout.

Thank Veronica and Ke... R