“Mass tourism and maffia”
Review of Mount Batur

Mount Batur
Ranked #3 of 42 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

We were with 6 (me and my bf and a family with 2 children from the hotel we stayed in) and when we arrived at mount Batur we first had to go through the Batur maffia. We already knew we would not need a guide for this easy walk, but they of course forced us to take a guide otherwise we would not be allowed to walk up. We agreed and wanted to pay for one guide, which is 400k Then they said one guide is only for 5 people and since we were with 6, we had to pay 200k more because the guide would gave extra work. So ridiculous!!! Normally you pay half the price for children and here we had to pay the price of 2 adults for 2 children. After this nice surprise we started the hike. We could immediately stop walking since the whole way up was just one big traffic jam of tourists and expensive guides that are useless. We were definitely waiting longer than we were actually hiking. Besides that me and my bf did not even see our guide for the entire way up. I was still a bit ill so did not feel like trying to overtake all the tourists, but the family did and the guide just went with them, so where did we even pay for?!! Eventually we reached the summit after a lot of waiting, but it was too cloudy to see the sunrise. After about one hr the sky became clearer and we had a nice view, but it was not worth the money and the traffic jam. Better just hike a mountain for free and without tourist traffic jams in Europe.

4  Thank elineshendriks
Write a ReviewReviews (2,467)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"head torch"
"bring a jacket"

Reviewed 10 August 2017

The sunrise hike up Mount Batur is not as easy as the tour agency might make it out to be. While it is only about 2 hours to the top, this is not exactly a hike up a winding path. Instead, you'll end up having to climb up an almost vertical incline at various points, especially as you reach the summit. The climb down is tougher, as your shoes will slide on the soft volcanic gravel. Expect to fall a couple of times.

While the guide may provide you with a torch, you'll be well-served by a headlamp, so bring your own. Good hiking shoes/boots with a good grip and ankle support will make the climb alot easier as well.

2  Thank andycwt
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

We climbed up with a family of 5, including a 10, 12 and 14 year old which was no problem. A guide is helpful as he knows the dangerous bits and pieces of the steep walk and was great in helping our youngest one. Good shoes are a must - good sneakers or running shoes will work. Flip flops will not at all.

It's an hour walk on a mostly paved path, then its gets crowded and the acent starts for about 30 minutes to a little stop area, all walking on lava stone. From there another 15 minutes steep to a second stop area. Lastly another 15 minutes to the top which is steep ans sandy so hard to find grip.

Its crowded and loud at the top which is a shame. Still beautiful but I can imagine that with less people and some silence it would even be better.

1  Thank oldtraveller131
Reviewed 9 August 2017

When my driver woke me up at 2am I wanted to cry and I hated myself for signing up for the tour. We had breakfast on our way to the spot where we were going to meet with our guides. Pancakes and tea. It was not an easy hike but was such an amazing fulfillment. We arrived up the mountain but we didn't see the sun. I was a bit disappointed but was happy that I made it to the top of the mountain. You need very comfortable hiking shoes.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 August 2017

The trek started at 3:30am. There were a lot of visitors who wanted to see the spectacular sunrise. There is definitely a lot of walking but the way up is not as hard as I expect it would be. Hiking usually takes 2 hours depending on the phase of your walking. There are stops if you would want to rest and drink. The climb could get a little bit hard so a good pair of shoes is advisable. It could also get too cold so make sure to bring a jacket. All the walking will get you worn out but the view on top is definitely worth it! Spectacular sunrise! Definitely one for the books. It is not for everyone but a must do if you're in Bali.