Worst experience on Bali! Let me explain why! And let me show alternatives.
1. Mass invasion of tourists. And with invasion I mean a never ending snake of people from bottom to top and back. No joke! On the top of mt. batur were at least 300 people. I Never expected sooooo much people. While watching sunrise other people walking around all the time, stand up in front of you for selfies etc.
2. Booking a guide, means booking someone showing you the way! Not more! Our guide told us nothing about history and geology of Mt. Batur. I knew more then him after reading Wikipedia article. But the guide never stopped asking us, if we like to have a longer tour (for more money of course).
3. Mafialike trekking agencies try to force you book a guide. (Mine was Arlinas)
4. Breakfast: = a joke, toast with egg and banana.
5. Equipment: another joke! Just a simple torch with not enough power. After 30min walk light was gone! Nothing else of equipment.
6. The price is horraible expensive for the provided service (300k per person) I was in a Group of 4 people after negotiation.
6. Last but not least the view. The view is beautiful that's true. But millions of views are beautiful while sunrise.
Ok, if you still think I want to hike Mt. Batur... please don't or go without guide. The way up is no problem if you have the right shoes, torch and googlemaps. Just start from black lava hostel and follow the way to the Pura penataran agung temple, turn right and head to the Pura Payogaan temple (check Google maps). Follow the trail (5-10min) until you reach a shack where they sell water, etc. From here just follow the masses.
If you want to see the sunset alone and without spending so much money, avoid Mt. Batur, rent a scooter and watch it from the south-west caldera of the volcano. This means nearly same angle to the sunrise and you got Mt. Batur, Mt. Abang, and Mt. Agung on your photos. Which is more impressive! Just give it a try. If you don't like it you can go next day to Mt Batur.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.