“Beware if you are planning to hike without guide”
Review of Mount Batur

Mount Batur
Ranked #3 of 42 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

Hikers beware !if you are like my husband who was planning to walk up this mountain without a guide ,then you will possibly be disappointed.
First either book tour or reputable company (we would normally use Bali safest drivers but they were busy).My husband booked a taxi driver who seemed friendly, he charged more than going rate then ,after agreeing price he didn't even come and sent another taxi driver.When he arrived at Mounts Batur (after 2.5hrs from nusa dua )he was met by Mafia guys .. no joke he was told he had to pay for a guide otherwise he wasn't going to be allowed to get past them.He then tried to drive to the other side of Mountain but was again met by more Mafia types...in the end he gave up and decided to see other parts of beautiful Bali. Very sad that he wasn't able to do this hike.

4  Thank Brownprincess L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,467)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"head torch"
"bring a jacket"

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

I went there with LG mobile group. We drive 20 jeeps from padma resort to mt batur and I don't think I would do it again. It was quite a long drive and there's nothing much to see. We expected something interesting after the long drive but there was nothing. The only thing to see was the crater from the vulcano and we had to hike up pretty far and it was really hot. There's no tree or plants around. But I don't know. Maybe it was because i tried the desert safary in Dubai and the Lord of the rings safari in new zealand so I expected something like those in the first place.

2  Thank Jill L
Reviewed 14 April 2017

There were about 400 people on the summit of volcano in the morning. They came from common start point and you can imagine how crowded it was. Our guide, Gede, took us through Tampuryang Temple which only few group taking this. By this route we could enjoy the trek more comfortable without rush from other group. The distance is also shorter, we took just one half hours to reach the summit. We recommend the route for those who don't like crowds

3  Thank ashleigh_ws
Reviewed 12 April 2017

I feel like this is my main goal going to Bali and I did it! Climbing this mountain wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. First up, we woke up at 1AM to be picked up at 2AM with a 2 hours journey to the trekking site.

Shortly after we got our guide, the trekking started. Kadet was an awesome guide that led us up the mountain and ensured our safety. We also get to have small breaks along the way up. I, personally do not find it extremely challenging, especially when you get to take breaks whenever you want.

When we reached the top, our guide told us there is actually another peak which is another 30 minutes trek up. However, he told us that there are a lot of people up there and over here at the 1st base, we get to have a whole bench to ourselves so we chose to stay there.

The whole experience was amazing and breath-taking. The only down part is that there were too much clouds. We didn't get to see the actual sunrise because it was too misty and cloudy. Luckily, the clouds and mist faded away and we get to enjoy the view with the breakfast cooked by our guide. AWESOME! Warm banana sandwich and hard boiled eggs!

I got to record down our journey to Mt Batur, so if you want to check it out just head to youtube @ Dion Ong, that's my chancel ! Cheers!

1  Thank Dion D