“Don't go. These guides are dangerous.”
Review of Mount Batur

Mount Batur
Ranked #3 of 42 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 August 2015

Similar to many others we were physically threatened and followed. The Indonesian Government needs to sort this out before someone gets hurt. The local police are obviously involved in this mafia like operation.

11  Thank Geoff E
Write a ReviewReviews (2,441)
All reviews
in 48 reviews
"early morning"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

I was very excited to see the supposedly beautiful sunrise with my wife in a romantic spot atop a remote location. This turned out to be completely false. We were assigned a guide whose english vocabulary consisted of vaguely spoken dates of years, of what I can only assume was years of volcanic activity and hopefully not his way of trying to count. We had been told there were some people thad made this trip every night but it should not be that crowded. This was far from reality as we litteraly had to wait in line almost the entire way, only going a 1/3 of what our normal mountaim climbing speed would be. Hundreds if not thousands of people do this every night. As we finally reached the last few meters after an awkward walk of our guide trying a litte too hard to help my wife climb up by holding her hand we had to settle not even going all the way up because it was completely full of people. This was followed by a lot, and I mean a lot of fog giving us the view of our shoes, suddenly all the people started singing and wooing so that you felt like you were stuck on an island with a thousand drunk teenagers, the screaming was because of the fog clearing... for about 10 seconds then the screams thankfully died out again and we looked forward to heading our way back down. Overall, not romantic, not difficult, not entertaining.

5  Thank Ran O
Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

Been with a tour, the view was totally amazing! If you are in Bali you must go to see that amazing volcano as is not that expensive with a tour but you can also go if you rent a car

Reviewed 14 August 2015

We came here .. had our lunch overlooking Mount Batur. The trip is quite a distance from Kuta I believe you should avoid coming here unless you want to climb the mountain. You could spend your precious time elsewhere to other part of Bali.