“Terrible ”

Ranked #1 of 41 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 29, 2015 via mobile

We arrived at the village of mount batur and there was a very very bad energie. It's like a scary place! We wanted to climb the mountain by our self, but that was impossible. The mountain is ruled by the mafia of this town. The local are getting very aggressive if you try to do it by your self. And the ask like min.400.000 and no ticket nothing!(don't pay more than 200.000).we meet people who paid 600.000. Anyway I think it's a ridiculous easy climb, you climb with thousands of people step by step up the mountain. The locals see you as dollars notes. They make a really nice business there!

7  Thank isabelle h
Write a ReviewReviews (2,291)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"t shirt"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2015 via mobile

Nice track undead! A bit challenging, especially last 500m, but worth of the effort anyhow. We (2 people) done it by daylight. Didn't book before, just gone there. Many annoying "mafia" people tried to sell ua a guide ticket for 600.000 to 1.000.000. Ignore this persons and go directly to the office left side of the lake - we've payed for 2 people just 400.000 and gave some money directly to the our nice guide.

1  Thank Frantisek66
Reviewed July 29, 2015 via mobile

My partner and I did The Mount Batur sunrise trek this morning and loved it. I would recommend doing this trip with a guide, they are very helpful and caring and full of great information about the area. The climb can be quite steep in some areas and there is loose gravel and you have to be careful not to slip. I wouldn't recommend the hike to anyone who is unfit, it just won't be enjoyable. We saw quite a few people stop before the halfway mark and stay there and wait for their group to come down in the cold and dark, that just seems like a waste of time and money. We paid 250k rupiah per person and that included transfers from ubud, breakfast, water and a torch. Our driver also took us to a coffee plantation on the way back for no extra cost. When we booked the tour we got told to bring nothing but a camera but you need to bring a jumper and maybe a wind breaker because it is freezing up the top of the volcano! Also a backpack would be useful as you have to carry your own breakfast up.

1  Thank Shanae N
Reviewed July 29, 2015 via mobile

I would love to say that the view was amazing, but unfortunately for everyone who went up for sunrise on the day I went was just total cloud. However, for me it wasn't about just getting the view it was about getting up there. I did struggle to get up there (I'm not exactly fit!), but for my own personal achievement I made it! It definitely was a great experience
I recommend on finding out what the weather is going to be like. As for those who went the day before it was clear. If you think you don't want the disappointment take a tour a little later than sunrise as most of the cloud will have disappeared. Even if you don't get the sunrise it is a pretty spectacular view on the way down.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 26, 2015

The level for this hike is moderate. With a little bit of determination, you should be able to reach the summit of the mountain.

Booked my guide prior to the trip. We took around 2 hours from the start point to reach the top of the mountain. The initial phase was simple. Flat land as we walk pass the village. The next phase is particular uphill. Initially the steps up was easy, but the last phase of the uphill was more challenging as the slope was steeper and also slippery.

Please remember to bring a jacket for the trip. Upon reaching the top, we had our breakfast over there. A simple breakfast with bread, egg and hot drinks. If you do not bring a jacket, you will be in the mercy of the cold wind while waiting for the sunrise.

Sunrise was beautiful and we could see the surrounding slowly light up by the orange sun. We took our time to take pictures and once ready, we set off to the hot spring located near Mount Batur. It is the best way to reward yourself after a mid night hiking trip.

Overall, a simple trek that rewards you with the gift of nature. A beautiful sight!!