“Friendly owner and great spirits!”
Review of Phangan Spirit Distillery - CLOSED

Phangan Spirit Distillery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Phangan Spirit Distillery is producing the highest quality of eau-de-vie/clear fruit brandy using local tropical fruits. Our Banana-lime-lemongrass spirit won the Bronze Medal at the 2013 World Spirit Competition in Europe! Visit us for a tour and for some tasting! See you at our newly opened Distillery and Tasting Sala!
Reviewed 11 October 2014

A little persistence paid off in that the first time we went no one was there (even though it was during opening hours according to the sign out front), but due to the rave reviews on TA, we tried again. This time Tony was there and happily sat down with us to explain the distilling process, let us sample six or seven flavors, and just chat with us about his life and background, which was interesting. He's very friendly and easy to talk to.

We bought a bottle of honey, which was delicious and really smooth. Drank almost all of it in one night (I had been stung by a jellyfish earlier that day and vinegar didn't work, so I tried alcohol, which did help make me forget about the pain! Haha). Woke up the next day feeling great, which Tony said would be the case b/c he doesn't use any sugar. No headache or hangover--yay!

1  Thank Brittany_11_10

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Absolutely loved our visit to this distillery (as part of the Eco Discovery Tour in Backpackers Thailand Full Moon Party package). It was really interesting to hear exactly how the schnapps are made by Henry (I hope I remembered his name correctly! Really sorry if I got it wrong!) - he's from Hungary so definitely knows how to make good strong schnapps! We got to taste all the flavours and I bought the honey one (absolutely beautiful, but potent). The interesting thing that they promise is that the schnapps is so pure that it will not cause a headache the day after! I can't wait to try it out! Location is just beautiful and they had the nicest toilet we encountered on the island! A must-do!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a hard time finding the Distillery on the first try. We were using the maps service on our smart phones and the location wasn't quite right. Finally we found the coordinates:

9.714832,99.997001(Phangan Spirit)

There is a printed blue vinyl "flag" sign on the side of the main road. We finally found the distillery at 5pm. The tasting hours from from Noon until 6pm daily. The owner Kate was just leaving as she had a visitor from out of town and wanted to leave a bit early.. but she was so gracious and opened up the distillery again and sat to talk with us and made us feel very comfortable.

She has five flavors and they are for sale in large and medium sized bottles. We sat with Kate while she described each flavor, and we tried a small sample of each. She told us about her selection process for the fruits used. She buys local and organic, but for the one spirit with Lime, she has her own tree in the backyard that she harvests.

Overall, it was a great experience as the liquors are delicious and obviously made with much care and creativity, and at a great price. Kate was a lovely host. She even gave us tips on the best local restaurants and where to see some really local music events.

Definitely recommended.

2  Thank sweatr1979
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I really enjoyed the tour of the premises & the explanation of the production process. It is quite a small operation at present, but a very interesting process. The product is hand crafted in small batches from local bananas with obvious love & craftsmanship. This basic spirit is also offered in various other versions subtly flavored with other fruits such as lime, orange, & pineapple...all locally sourced fresh. They also produce a spirit made from fresh pineapples, & one made from mango.

I am not much of a drinker of spirits myself, but I did enjoy my tasting. All the samples were very smooth with a nice finish. You need to try them yourself.

The proprietors are very friendly & helpful...nice people. A worthwhile stop when on the island.

1  Thank MOF
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Sought this distillery out and was worth the search. It's off the main road heading into the jungle from Thongsala. Go up the main road about 1km out of Thongsala until you get to the pictures of Thai King & Queen next to the large municiple building (if you go past police station, you've gone too far). Opposite side of road is a laundry and a little road, go down little road a few bends and Phangan Spirit is on your left. We were given a short tour & tasting, and bough banana, honey, and the award winning lime/lemongrass. Excellent stuff!

2  Thank shaggydabbydo