Roatan Backpackers' Hostel
Villagio Verde(West End)
  • Breakfast included
Lands End(West End)
View Hotel
All reviewsdorm roomlizard loungewest endcommunal kitchenfun place to staybook exchangea short taxi rideown bathroomfriendly environmentexploring the islandlaundry servicecommon areasthree nightscleaned dailyisland lifehome away from homewatch the sunset
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Fantastic time staying here. The owner and staff, are extremely welcoming and the hostel feels like a home away from home. Great amenities, rooms, common areas and even a pool! Would recommend to anyone looking for a place to stay in roatan!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I really enjoyed my time in Roatan Backpacker's hostel. I was nicely welcomed and overall had a good experience.
The only cons to the place -

I was cold at night and the blankets were not enough.

I am super sensitive to smoke and the smoking area is in front of the kitchen, which made it difficult for me to stay there or eat for long periods.

Other than that Mel was an amazing host and made my stay very special. She accommodated me in a nice room that exactly met my needs.

I totally recommended Roatan Backpacker's hostel :)

Thank you!

Stayed: January 2018, traveled solo
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the review, Noa. We enjoyed having you here! Usually cold is not an issue in the tropics, but you were here during a chilly time of year(relatively for here, 20 C, or about 70F)- I have a supply of blankets but all of them were lent out. Fortunately most of the year is very sunny and warm, so those blankets just get buried away in the laundry room for about 11 months at a time.

The issue of where to allow smokers to get their nicotine fix has been one I've been grappling with for awhile- I used to have 2 smoking areas, but there were complaints about the one at the back, so I have it limited to one spot, and then the smokers complain that there's just one area to smoke. Unfortunately a lot of travelers smoke, so even though I've thought about a smoke free property, I don't think it's totally feasible. However, I've had a brillant brainwave recently about a spot that I can make a little smoker hangout that shouldn't be in wind of anyone, so that is on the project list for the next month. Hopefully it'll be the ideal solution that will give everyone what they want! Next time you come back, you can see :) I always listen to feedback from my guests. Sometimes it takes a little while to work out how to implement the changes needed, but I love a challenge, and I love new projects to improve our hostel.

Mel

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was a lovely place to stay with kids, with the added ammenity of the backyard pool to enjoy. There are convenience stores (pulperias) within a short walking distance and many attractions are just a short walk (dolphin encounter at AKR) or short drive (zipline at Myan Junly and West End/West Bay) away. The local buses and taxis are very accessible on the main road a few steps from the hostel. Mel is very knoweledgeable and helpful giving advise, the staff is friendly and her kids also have good recommendations on budget-friendly restaurant options! Mel has an extensive network of connections to other businesses on the island (dive shop, activities, restaurants) at which hostel guests benefit from discounts. Beach walks are but a few short minutes away. We prepared some breakfasts in our kichenette while also enjoying some tasty and budget friendly options from the hostel restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Staying here provided an authentic island experience!

Room Tip: Many room options depending on whom you are travelling with; we used the Casita which included a kichenette in the two bedroom unit.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here with my son (11) and about 9 other friends who had children (16, 15, 12, 11) and we had a super time. We stayed in a cabin that had two bedrooms, kitchenette, living room and balcony upstairs and a 1 bedroom with 2 twin beds and a bathroom downstairs. It was clean and simply furnished with everything we needed. We tended to eat several meals in the restaurant there simply because the food was so good and reasonably prices ($4.00 for a solid breakfast and $7.00 for a delicious dinner - prices in restaurants in the West End are at least twice that).

The garden is lovely and the pool is perfect for coming back to at the end of a long day of touring around. It feels like a little oasis.

It is located in Sandy Bay up a small road. It really made this experience and authentic one for my son. We have been south before but have always stayed in all-inclusive resorts. This time my son got to get outside the hotel world and got to experience a little of what life is like on a day-to-day basis in Roatan.

Thanks again to Mel for being a great host who is happy to share her knowledge of the island while keeping a lean budget in mind! :)

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I spent 20 days at this hostel and had a great time there. It's located in Sandy Bay, which is near West End (10 minutes drive) and West Bay (25 minutes drive). There's a beach, just 5 minutes walk from it, where snorkeling is highly motivated (around Anthony's Cay). You'll be able to find a few small restaurants in the area (called "Pulperías") and a some convenience stores as well. Mel, the owner, is an amazing hostess and the staff was always so nice and caring. I'll be back next year, and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks Pablo- we really loved having you here, we miss you!
Mel