“Ecuador Eco Adventure has made me never want to leave Ecuador!!”

Ecuador Eco Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Specialists in Trekking - mountain climbing - horseback riding - Galapagos Islands - and amazon expeditions as well as Volunteering oportunities in Ecuador.
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

I found Ecuador Eco Adventure through it’s partner organization, Ecuador Eco Volunteer. I spent three weeks working on an alpaca farm in the Chimborazo Province with the most welcoming community of indigenous farmers. Getting to experience this lifestyle is something I’ll never forget. It was also great acclimitization/preparation for the climbing I then did through Ecuador Eco Adventure. I trekked El Altar, climbed Cotopaxi, and attempted Chimborazo, but was turned back due to poor quality of snow that could’ve resulted in an avalanche. (That’s ok, I’ll be back!!!)
More than anything, though, was the friendship I was able to make with Wlady, the owner of EEA. He was extremely knowledgeable and insightful and helped me plan my adventures in Ecuador way beyond my treks with EEA. He opened his home to me whenever I was in Riobamba, never tried to rip me off, and never made me feel insecure. He also employs local guides, promotes sustainable tourism, and has many incredible community volunteer immersion opportunities all over Ecuador.
Overall, I am very pleased with my experience with EEA and am elated to have made this forever connection with Wlad and his company.
Muchísimas gracias Ecuador Eco Adventure!!

Wlady, Gerente at Ecuador Eco Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Thank you Elise - youbhave a home in Ecuador

"accommodations"
in 2 reviews
"trek"

Reviewed 10 April 2018

I originally planned to do the El Altar Trek and then summit Cotopaxi when I got to Ecuador. I told Wlady I was having some altitude issues, and he recommended that I take an extra night after I got to Riobamba to think it over because of how challenging the trek and summit would be. I ended up deciding not to do either. I was so impressed that Wlady was honest and upfront about how difficult the trek might be.

After that, I was trying to figure out what to do with my time in Ecuador. I ended up booking a last minute trip to the Galapagos and Wlady arranged everything for me on super short notice. The Galapagos trip was wonderful! So happy everything worked out, and I had an amazing time on the islands.

He and his family were so sweet to take care of me that day I was in Riobamba trying to reconfigure my plans.

I highly recommend Ecuador Eco Adventures!

Reviewed 26 February 2018

Wlady & his team offer affordable expeditions & fine hospitality. Climbed Carihuairazo, Cotopaxi & Chimborazo all in a week. I live at 300' above sea level so these elevations
are brutal to a low lander, yet the guides, Telmo & Fausto, were very experienced, were patient with my slow progress & helpful whenever needed. Humble accommodations were comfortable, Wlady works hard to make everything flow well & has no reservations about deviating from the plan when needed to be sure it's a good experience to a client. Will definitely be back for other expeditions!

Reviewed 23 February 2018

I had initially planned to do Chimborazo but following a bout of sickness at Christmas Wendy recommended that I take a gentler route and do the 1 day climb of Carihuairazo which would be technically interesting but have less altitude. It would also provide great views of the Avenue of Volcanoes. I can attest to both - the climb was very good and I felt generally comfortable with the pace (The guide let me ascend to the summit more slowly than some of the other climbers as I was struggling with stamina). The climb is basically relatively simpler with only a need for short section of climbing with crampon near the summit. The view was extraordinary that morning and I could see almost every major volcano in Ecuador with Chimborazo especially impressive. It is probably the best view of my life. During the descent I coped fairly well until the final few kilometers where I struggled to continue. Nevertheless the guide remained with me and we were able to talk to keep my spirits up. (I spoke sufficient Spanish to do this - I don't know what his English would have been like).

I only have 2 complaints - I found the night at the refuge near Chimborazo extremely cold and struggled to sleep. Perhaps some extra blankets could be provided. Secondly on the first afternoon we were encouraged to explore the Paramo around the Refuge but with no clear paths and no guide I felt that it was too easy to get lost. I feel that to miss out on that experience would have been a shame but I do feel somebody should have been prepared to show us a good route.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 February 2018

My partner and I selected Ecuador eco adventures for a Carihuairazo climb. We informed Wlady that we had no mountaineering experience but were assured that everything would be taken care of and that Carihuairazo is a reasonable climb for us (as active young people).

Everything went pretty well initially. We rented everything from eco adventures and while some of the equipment/clothing appeared a bit worn it appeared functional and we were assured everything was fine. We were picked up from our hotel in Riobamba by our guide Fausto - there was no seatbelt in the rear seat and it was poorly communicated whether we needed to purchase our own water but aside from this everything went well the first day.

The cabins at the base of the mountain were nice. We had our own room and were able to walk around the paramo. Dinner was surprisingly nice and plentiful. Overall very pleasant.

We went to bed early and got up at 2am, had a small but nice breakfast and drove to the start of the hike. The majority of the Carihuairazo climb is a mild to moderate intensity hike on dry ground. We went at a slow pace and this portion was not difficult - taking maybe 3 hours.

We arrived at the base of the glacier and the guide helped us put on crampons. This is where the problems started. We explained again to the guide that we didn’t have experience with crampons and requested a short lesson. This was denied and he simply said – ‘it’s ok, that’s why you have a guide, everything will be fine’. Ok… so, as I said, to this point we had a quite gradual pace but once we got the crampons on we immediately started a brisk pace up the glacier. I noted nearly immediately that I was getting significant snow build up on my crampons and started to stumble a bit. My partner was also new to crampons and so we both requested a brief stop to see what was going on and maybe get some pointers. We did not stop. I’m young and in good shape but started to get very winded and kept stumbling with the significant amount of snow building up on my crampons. Then, one popped off. I had to yell to get the guide to stop. He helped get the crampon back on and finally by this point told me that I should be clearing the snow from the crampons with my axe. I’ll mention at this point that it was not a language barrier, both my partner and I have significant experience speaking Spanish and had no problems in our month in Ecuador speaking and understanding. Now, I still wondered why I was getting SO much more snow buildup than others but continued on. After about 45mins we reached the summit. During this time Fausto continued at a brisk pace with the two of us in tow on the rope and barely slowed down or stopped despite our requests. My crampon popped off a second time. We did reach the summit, very winded and somewhat shaken by our guides seeming disregard for us. We later learned that guides typically like to get through the glacier fairly quickly due to risk of rock fall – which we could have understood if any attempt had been made to explain this to us – and which still does not explain his ignoring our requests.

At the top our guide and another guide had a nice sandwich and tea to themselves, while we were offered nothing except some cookies. Going down the glacier was similarly difficult and the snow buildup on my crampons had worsened. Our guide continued to prod us along like we were a couple of unruly children and was somewhat condescending when he did want us to do something (like have the rope on one side or walk a certain line). There were some very sketchy points getting down – steep with lots of loose rocks, this all made worse by my crampons with their constant snow buildup and our distrust in our guide, by this point. When we finally reached the bottom, I was fairly shaken and frustrated by my near inability to walk on my crampons with their buildup of snow after every couple of steps. A seasoned mountaineer was at the bottom and when I mentioned my crampon issues he informed me that the crampons I was given lacked an absolutely necessary component - anti-balling plates (or anti-snowball plates). This is a simple piece of plastic that goes on the underside of the crampon and prevents snow buildup. Not having used crampons before, I was not aware of this component or the necessity. The reason I paid to have a certified guide and mountaineering company was exactly for things like this!

On returning I reached out to Ecuador Eco adventures, Wlady, in a good-faith attempt to get an explanation for these issues (which I feel put us in danger). He did apologize for the mishaps and mentioned that the snow was unusually sticky given the record snow last month. I can’t say whether this is true or not but I did want to provide our experience for others to see.

1  Thank Truthiness_10
Wlady, Gerente at Ecuador Eco Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2018

Thank you for your review we will work on improving for next clients