“Golden Moments of life.”

Ecuador Eco Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Specialists in Trekking - mountain climbing - horseback riding - Galapagos Islands - and amazon expeditions as well as Volunteering oportunities in Ecuador.
Reviewed 31 December 2016

Time spent with Wlady was intellectually engaging, both related to the services he provides and his awareness to Ecuadorian goings-on. I love what he has built for himself and continues to provide to others because of his creativity. It was easy to book, communicate, and get gear set up. Our guide, was incredibly fit and proficient. I would book again through Eco Adventure in a heartbeat. Successful summit of Chimborazo!!!i

All reviews
in 26 reviews
"refuge"
"heartbeat"

Reviewed 12 December 2016

I had an opportunity to climb El Chimborazo with Ecuador Eco Adventures and I was more than pleased! The guides are very well educated, friendly and know what they are doing. Great experience!

Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

I just wanted to say how thankful I am for the trips Wlady organized for me! It was incredible, the guides were amazing and made me discover Ecuador in such a special way!

I did the trekking in Chimborazo, slept in a refuge with a magnificent view of the volcano.

He also organized a trip to Quito with a guide! I definitely recommend it!

And it's very rewarding to know that your money is helping the communities in Ecuador.

Ecuador is an amazing destination and Ecuador Eco Adventure is a great way to see it!

1  Thank Kristiana S
Reviewed 28 January 2016

I worked with Wlady a month out to come up with an itinerary to suit our small group's adventure desires...he gave us a proposed itinerary but was unclear what was included and the transportation costs; he also gave me the run-around with pay-pal deposits and then demanded onsite cash payment in full upon arrival to his home office in Riobamba (we were not prepared for cash paid in full upon arrival). Ultimately there were several miscommunications with Wlady in the booking process. During our trip Wlady was late picking us up at one Refugio and then at another Refugio our small group was nearly kicked out bc Wlady had not made proper/prior arrangements for us to stay there in advance (very embarrassing for us). Furthermore, our Chimborazo guide did not speak any English, which posed a safety hazard with our English speaking group and the current conditions of Chimborazo during our climb. At the end of our trip Wlady told us he would pick us up at the Carrel Refugio then return us to his house where he kept our passports before we departed back to Quito for our return flight home. He did not pick us up...he sent a taxi cab driver to pick us up and then drive us to his house to meet his wife to give us our passports back (shady). During our adventure we spoke with other tourists/climbers who booked through other agencies both in Riobamba and Quito. All in all, I made a mistake by not fully researching my options in advance. For our next Equador climbing trip I will NOT book with a low cost/mom & pops agency such as Ecuador Eco Adventure and I will confirm we have an English speaking guide before ascending a volcanic mountain....lesson learned.

7  Thank Linz H
Wlady, Propietario at Ecuador Eco Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2016

We´de like to apologise for any mistakes during the operation, to reply to this email , the costumer obviously does not read the emails carefully as the proposed itinerary had a price per person, which they were surprised about so in order to fix things for them we had to make last minute arrangements and change everything so they could attempt the climb, I took care of this couple my self taking them to places and making sure they had everything set for them even fighting over the administration of the refuges so they could make space on last minute for them, at the same time we had 4 other groups climbing and doing horse back riding in chimborazo, is the only reason why we sent our driver to meet them in the refuge, to pcik them up and to take them to the airport, I am really surpirsed about this review as all the passangers kept saying was "sorry" "sorry" and all we tryed as a team was to arrange things for them changing everything on last minute

as for the guide we only use certified mountian guides and we work local to ensure sustainibility and give jobs to local guides and communities, it is writen in our website, and it was explained to the costumers

again we are really sorry if it didnt work out for them as it worked out for every one else

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 September 2015

I hesitate to leave a negative review, because I see that so many people have enjoyed these tours. I wonder if my experience was the exception rather than the rule...I wish I had known what I was getting into, so I am passing on what I know to you.

I read reviews on TripAdvisor for a few different companies, and eventually it came down to paying more for an "eco tour" which is something I felt was important, or paying less for another tour which looked more comfortable, but I wasn't sure about the "eco"-ness of it. So I went with this Ecuador Eco Adventure.

I was in contact with Wlady in March to join a tour to Yasuni National Park for April. He was very quick to respond to emails, and was very helpful in arranging for my arrival with flights/hotel/airport pickup, etc. I was told that I would be joining some others on the same tour as I was.

However, just before my arrival I was told there was a storm at the lodge and it would be impossible to proceed with the tour there. Wlady suggested he book me in with a different tour, and I agreed because I only had a short time before my return home and I was worried that I wouldn't see the Amazon jungle if I didn't take this opportunity. I was promised that the standards of the tour would be the same as the original, including an English-speaking guide, since my Spanish is very basic.

In short, I was subcontracted out to another tour, and I soon realized that I was an inconvenient arrival. The other group I was supposed to join were surprised to see me, informed the operator that they had booked a private tour, and did not want me to join them. The operator then told me that I would get my own guide, and my own tour. On one hand, I thought "Great!". However, this meant that the English-speaking guide went with the original tour, and I was sent out (a solo female traveler) to stay at a lodge in Limoncocha, a quiet, remote village.

My guide there was an older man who spoke only Spanish, and would've been cute if he didn't occasionally walk the line of being just a little creepy. I never felt like I was in danger, but I did feel uncomfortable from time to time, probably just because I became hyper-aware of the fact that I could be in a potentially vulnerable position.

After 2 nights in Limoncocha, I was delivered to a new guide and his boatdriver on the river. They were both local men who spoke only Spanish. Again, I never felt unsafe with them and they were both lovely, but I did feel that it was unprofessional of the operator to leave me alone like this.

Because of the language barrier, I understood only a fraction of what was being explained to me, and I had a hard time making myself understood with my basic Spanish level.

Being the only tourist had its perks in that I did see a lot of wildlife, but even my guide said that this is largely to do with luck.

There was a significant amount of time each day during which there was nothing to do. I was especially limited as it was inadvisable to leave me accommodations by myself.

The "Indigenous Village" we visited was extremely touristy, with the usual costumes and sales pitch one would hope to avoid. I had hoped for something more genuine from this tour.

Every meal was basic, usually consisting of fish, yucca, plantain, rice, and/or eggs. There was very little variety.

Accommodations were also very basic for each of the 4 nights, and there was one night we stayed with a local family on the river...I enjoyed talking with the children and playing games! However there was really no shower or sinks available to wash at, I shared a room with my guide & boatdriver (no privacy whatsoever), and our room was infested with rats!!! These were aggressive, noisy animals-- even the guide was upset. I did not sleep that night!

To sum up, it was certainly an adventure, and I appreciated that there was some aspect of authenticity-- however I did not feel that the operator really cared about how my tour turned out, as he was currently investing in some kind of tv production, and tourism was a side business anyway. My comfort and peace of mind were not considered, and I was put in a situation where I felt awkward. I did not feel that I received the tour that I paid a premium rate for. When I heard from other travelers that took the cheaper tour, they received much better food and accommodation, their guide spoke English, they saw the same animals I did (and more), and they spent their tour with a fun group of other travelers. I wish I had done the same.

As much as I wish to travel in a way that is "eco-friendly", ethical, and contributes to the locals' livelihoods, I can't recommend this tour. It was nothing short of an expensive mistake.

7  Thank Jill C