“Ascent to the Cotopaxi”
Review of Julio Verne Travel

Julio Verne Travel
Ranked #1 of 8 Tours in Riobamba
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a Dutch-Ecuadorian run travel company specialized in biking, trekking, climbing, Amazon jungle, Galapagos cruises and diving, tailor made round trips. We have professional guides, top quality equipment and more than 20 years experience organizing adventure trips in Ecuador. We speak English, Dutch, Spanish.
Reviewed 5 March 2018

I booked a 2-day climbing tour to the top of the Cotopaxi with Julio Verne Travel.
Everything was well-organized and worked out great, a perfect experience.

PLANNING:
After some reading, I decided to book the tour with Julio Verne, which is based in Riobamba. After some previous emails, I finalized the booking only one week before the tour and by email. The whole communication was easy, quick and professional.
Julio Verne provided a full equipment list of what they provide and what I need to bring.
In the evening before the tour I dropped by the store in Riobamba and checked the rental gear. Everything was in perfect condition and my sizes for shoes and cloth were available. The equipment was exactly as described previously and I didn't have to pay anything extra. At that moment I also signed a travel contract with the agency. All in all a very reliable and processional procedure.

TOUR:
The tour worked exactly as described on their homepage. There were no unpleasant surprises and everything was perfectly organized.
My guide, Patricio, made a great job. He had years of experience, a lot of knowledge about the landscape and history, and was good company. Before the ascent, he talked me through the whole plan. Then, during the ascent at night, he set the pace and made me arrive at 6 am at the summit, perfect timing for the sunrise. He was also very supportive explaining the handling of the equipment and made the whole tour a very save experience. Great work!

All in all, Julio Verne Travel provided a perfectly organized tour to the summit of the Cotopaxi. Organization was easy, the tour included everything that you might need in terms of equipment and food, and the guide did a perfect job. I can recommend the agency to everyone that plans a climbing tour to one of Ecuadors mountains.

All reviews
"climb"
in 11 reviews
"summit"

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

My partner and I wanted to climb a mountain in Ecuador, our hearts were set on Chimborazo but was aware of altitude risks and knew that sufficient acclimatisation was required.
We got in touch with Julio Verne through their sister company EOS Ecuador, that are based in Quito. We emailed them straight away and was encouraged by their rapid response rate.
When we arrived in Riobamba, we visited the store, which is very easy to find and was greeted by Popkje Van Der Ploeg, who we had been liaising with via email.
She was extremely helpful and foremost, honest. She did not force a sale on us and paid particular attention to safety. She was concerned that we had not endeavoured in any acclimatisation hikes and therefore recommended some climbs that we could do solo.
After this we then went back to the store and booked the Carihuairazo climb, a high climb but still considered an acclimatisation climb, in preparation for Chimborazo.
I did not have particularly high expectations for the climb, it was just a stepping stone to a bigger goal.
I could not have been more wrong! It was one of the most spectacular things I have done. Our guide, Sandiego, was exceptional! He spoke brilliant English, was attentive throughout the climb and at all times we felt completely safe. Carihuairazo is not a climb that should be underestimated. It is at times, very technical and requires crampons and rope work. It's an excellent introduction to technical climbing and as a virgin climber, it was an adrenaline packed experience. We were incredibly lucky with the weather and views. We walked for the first four hours through a snow storm and with the first break of light, we caught a breathtaking view of Chimborazo, the larger, neighbouring mountain.
Our ascend up the summit was the highlight of our endeavour but an experience I shall never forget.
I want to say a huge thank you to Julio Verne, their staff and particularly Sandiego, who without, this experience would not have been as special.
I pride Julio Verne on their complete honesty of the reality, of the mountaineering world. They are not, like many booking agencies, money grabbers and pushy sales reps. They are professional, honest and put your safety at the forefront of any expedition.
If you are considering climbing Chimborazo, have a look at Carihuairazo, it's as beautiful on a clear day and promises to teach you the essentials of technical climbing.
Thank you Julio Verne for helping us make the right decisions and looking after us so well :)
PS food, equipment, including sunglasses, crampons.... all other essential mountaineering gear, is of an exceptional standard and included in the price.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

I would throughly recommend using Julio Verne to all visitors to Ecuador, especially when organising a trip to the Galapagos. Popkje was the advisor who was wonderful- he carefully described the options for cruising and did all of this only a week before my departure. He managed to provide me with a great deal especially as I was a single traveller (sole occupancy of a cabin usually requires double payment of the price). Communication with Popkje was excellent, quick to reply to email and also clear in his advice and instruction pre cruise. I wish to thank him and the rest of the company for his help and would certainly use the company in the future if I were to return to South America, best wishes, Claire

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

While based in Riobamba, Popkje helped me set up multiple trips as a solo traveler. I had a blast, and my time in Ecuador would not have been the same without her and her guides. Popkje’s office is centrally located, and she is great about answering via email or WhatsApp. I took the Devil’s Nose & Ingapirca and Lake Quilotoa sightseeing day trips as well as the Vicuña trek. Her guides/drivers were safe, knowledgeable, and generous—stopping for extra photos and even a restaurant so someone in our group could taste cuy. On all trips, food and bottled water were plentiful, and all of the included gear was clean and in great shape. The Vicuña trek was one of the highlights of my trip. Luis, my guide, knew everything about the flora and fauna we experienced—from scientific names to local folklore. After a comfortable night at the refugio and with great weather, he took me to the glacier on the north face of Chimborazo—a phenomenal experience. I wish I could have trekked longer with Julio Verne! I highly recommend traveling with Popkje and her team.