“This is my favourite place”
Review of The Bakery No.88

The Bakery No.88
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Dali
Price range: US$1 - US$12
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Bakery88, founded by Karine Kaffrell, is a German style bakery and restaurant located in the old town of Dali in Yunnan, China. For 10 years we have been continuously striving to retain our quality and include local and organic ingredients in our baking and cooking whenever possible. Everyday we offer freshly baked breads, cakes, and homemade ice cream, containing no artificial chemicals or preservatives. We also offer a good variety of European food and drinks.
Reviewed 5 March 2021 via mobile

This is my favourite place to visit in Dali for high-quality dessert, and they are moderately priced for the quality of their cakes. Their bread is fantastic, and the have a wide range of delicious cheeses and wines. The meats they serve are not low-quality, but imported. Their ice creams are homemade and have several flavours.

Don’t go here for a meal, go here for a sweet dessert or snack, or for their bread & cheese.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (274)

Reviewed 7 February 2021 via mobile

Anyone who likes bread, cheese, sandwiches, should pay a visit here. Also their pasta is nice. Visit in the morning to enjoy the sunshine in their yard. Recommended!

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 23 August 2020

6th time in Dali and while we've always bought bread here, we never actually went in to eat. Sadly, this time we did. We ordered a milkshake, curry wurst and pasta puttanesca. The milkshake was lukewarm milk with half a banana loosely mixed it. Not much about it resembled a milkshake. Even a few crushed ice cubes would have made a world of difference.
The curry wurst was just their standard bratwurst with a thin layer of curry on top, two thin slices of bread and a tiny salad. Decent enough, but even my 8-year-old wouldn't have been full had this been for him. 45 yuan for something the size of a starter simply doesn't play. Worse was to come. My kid being a huge pasta fan looked puzzled when the pasta arrived. "Did you order the wrong one?" He asked. The puttanesca, which is his favourite pasta, consisted of bland, overcooked spaghetti with dices of tomato and eggplant. No herbs and spices, no olives, no garlic, no capers, no anchovies, no parmasan. I checked the menu again and under the English, surely enough it only said tomato and eggplant in Chinese. DON'T call it a puttanesca if it has virtually nothing to do with the dish. I'll continue to buy 88's delicious bread, but I'll never, ever eat there again I'm sorry to say. The staff were nice enough btw, so I didn't feel like letting my frustrations with the poor meal out on them. Quite possibly, the owner should stick to baking only.

Date of visit: August 2020
3  Thank Nicolas M
Reviewed 12 August 2020 via mobile

We ordered the salad with feta cheese. Cheese platter one each of the prosciutto and salami platters and a sandwich variety platter. The sandwich variety platter was good. The salad was not good. The dressing was added without asking and it was a homemade mayonnaise that was not very appetizing. It had way too many carrots a couple cucumber and literally 1 large leaf of lettuce. The walnut bread that came with it was not bad. The cheese platter came out so much later than everything else I assumed they forgot. It came with a glass of wine which was a nice touch. Overall it was decent but I expected a lot more from the #1 place for quick bites in Dali. Maybe next time it will be better.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 27 July 2020 via mobile

We ate breakfast here 4 times and enjoyed it a lot.
The bagels are fresh and tasty and the cheeses good.
Also very pleasant to sit in the courtyard.
We also likes the gaucamole breakfast

Date of visit: July 2020