All reviews li river minute walk karst mountains beautiful location chinese food best of both worlds the hustle and bustle town centre third floor taxi ride local beer peaceful retreat rent a bike five star hotel yogurt dumplings alf
Reviewed 1 April 2018

We stayed here for 4 nights in end March

This is a nice quaint hotel by the river side, although I must admit i have not visited the river bank. The morning view is breathtaking, with the sun rise from our window.

The room was huge and clean. As we took the executive suite, there were 2 toilets, a living room and the bedroom for just 2 of us. There was also a nicely designed bath tub in one of the toilet. There is no TV in the room, but who needs a TV with the view outside the windows.

Staff are very friendly, and english speaking. We noted that most of the people staying there are mostly foreigners. We understand that the owner, Alf, is also a foreigner who have stayed in Guilin for a very long time. He was very helpful and corresponded by email prior to arrival.

If i have to pick a negative (which can be a positive too), it is the distance from the main town. While the absolute distance isnt that far, about 2-3km away, it could take some time to get to the main town. A couple of the taxi drivers in the city doesn't seem to know the place. It typically takes about RMB 25-35 to get from West Street main town to get to the hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Alf E, Manager at Li River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear l0nEr,

Thank you for your lovely words. It is really nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have all worked very hard to build a special place here in Yangshuo. Our location is very beautiful and have tried to build a beautiful building with nice rooms so that are guests can get the most of this scenery.

Your room is indeed very special as it is our biggest room and from the very front, it feels like you are just above the Li River. I think that it is a very special feeling to wake up to.

We have also worked really hard in getting a friendly, efficient and knowledgable team. All of our staff are locals who we have trained and we are very pleased at the service levels that have reached. We will keep working with them to keep doing an even better job.

We agree with you with the TVs. We have a beautiful location and the TVS would distract from that and may even cause background noises which we try to avoid here.

If you ever come back to Yangshuo, we would love for you to visit us again.

Kind regards
Alf

Reviewed 27 March 2018

We had stayed at this hotel last week. We only had 2 days and wished we could stay longer. The hotel location is perfect, it is not far from down but far enough to avoid the noisy downtown west street. We stayed at the room with a balcony which facing the mountain, it is breath taking. The room is big and bed is so comfy. The decoration in the room is lovely.They even have heater in the shower room. We travel a lot and I can rate it 5 star hotel The owner Alf is so helpful , we correspond email before we arrive, he always respond promptly and answer the question I have. He reserved the light show for us one night and wait for the driver with us in west street to make sure we get in right tour bus. All employee were always eager to help, I highly recommend this hotel and hope we can return soon.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Alf E, Owner at Li River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Dear muiyin,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I also pleased that our staff were all helpful and efficient. We have got a great team here and we have tried to develop a really nice culture of friendliness and knowledge.

We really loved having you stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future. Just email me and as soon as I have free time, I will reply to you.

Kind regards
Alf

Reviewed 13 January 2018

Getting here was a bit of an adventure. I’d printed out my reservation confirmation which had directions, but it was all in English and our cab driver did not speak English. Also, my phone battery had died so I couldn’t look anything up or call. (If I had called , they would have sent a car to pick us up.) I assumed the taxi driver would know the hotel but he didn’t. My daughter used her college level mandarin to translate the directions we were given, and we pointed to what we thought was the hotel on a map on his phone. He said he could get us close, but after that we’d have to walk. He dropped us off by a covered pedestrian market. Apparently we pointed to the wrong hotel. But my daughter went in to ask about LiRiver and they told us the way. We walked the length of the pedestrian market, mostly closed at the time but with a great view of the river, a worn limestone floor, and a beautifully carved old stone guardrail. A shopkeeper offered to drive us but we decided to keep walking, it was so picturesque. Eventually we got to a sign pointing to a number of resorts including Li River, 400 meters on. The resort is on the river road but elevated up a long flight of stairs. So we were a bit frazzled by the time we arrived. The welcome we received couldn’t have been more warm. We were greeted with glasses of warm water (this is winter, in the off season), our luggage carried up from the road where we’d left it, and shown to our room, which was one of their river view family rooms. What we saw upon entering made it all worth it. The room was easlity triple the size of a standard room with a vaulted ceiling enhancing the sense of spaciousness. The end of the room projects out with nearly floor to ceiling windows on three sides overlooking a classic Karst landscape with the river below. The king bed was placed here, so you have incredible views even when you’re lying down. It felt like sleeping in a luxurious treehouse. Behind this alcove for the “master bed” was an attractive living room suite, twin beds, an armoire for clothing and a bakers rack with tea and coffee makings. A full set of adorable slippers for the entire family sat underneath - furry for winter, rubber for summer and bath, one foot cat face and the other dog.
One third of the room was taken up by a bathroom featuring separate glassed in cubicles for toilet and shower, a large marble vanity with waterfall-style faucet, and, and, and.... a large circular bathtub in the center. Curtains surround the tub so you can close them for privacy when others are around, or keep them open and bathe with the view. While we were settling in, someone arrived with a beautiful fruit platter to compensate for the inconvenience we had in getting there. The fruit was high quality, which is not often the case in hotels. The only drawback to the hotel is you regret leaving to go sightseeing!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor river view room.
Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Stayed 3 nights here in July when we visited South China.

This is a beautiful quaint small hotel nested in Yangshuo river/mountains. We loved it.

The hotel was peaceful, quiet and stylish. It’s not in town, but I would not like it if it was, because west street was very very noisy and becoming tacky in my opinions. It’s walking distance to west street and along the river, it was pretty.

The host and owner Alf was charming and helpful. He is native Australian, so he speaks both English and Chinese. We exchanged a few emails before our arrivals. He was always prompt responding my emails.

The hotel has a nice pool, which was blissful for the hot summer.

The restaurant was adequate, we ate there for breakfasts and dinners. Our experience for food sampling at Yangshuo was not over the moon, same here at the hotel.

The room was beautifully decorated. Sitting on the balcony looking at the mountain mist in the morning was one of my best moments in Yangshuo.

The staff here trying their best to help for any requests you may have.

We enjoyed our stay. I was disappointed at Yangshuo, it became so consumerized, but Li River resort made up for it.

The hotel was new and it had room to improve, and I am sure it will. For example there was no safe in the room; there is no bath robes in the room.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Yangshuo.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2018

Thank you very much to Alf and all employees. I wish I could remember all the names and acknowledge them individually. Friendly. Caring. Organised. Gentle. Quiet. Helpful. A peaceful retreat. Well fitted and comfortable. Easy walk along the River into Yangshuo.
Alf instrumental in organising personal drivers for day trips, transfer to Guilin, pick up from the railway station. Climbing Moon Hill. (A must!) The guide dropped us off and returned and picked us up. Floating down the Li River on a canoe.

Stayed: June 2017